Latest post Fri, Jan 30 2015 3:56 PM by cccu tech. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 28 2015 8:34 PM

Buying a Mac Pro, what would you recommend specs wise?

I've got about £5 - 5.5 grand to spend on a new mac pro for editing with Avid, premiere pro, some basic after effects stuff with.

My dream world would be AMA'ing my Panasonic GH4 4k H.264 rushes, and editing those bad boys with no transcoding.

Or AMA'ing loads of C300 or FS7 footage, editing something up no problem without transcoding. I know this is a silly idea. But anway.

Essentially I need something that my bosses if they so wished could edit an entire TV series on smooth as butter. Fast as possible play outs/rendering/transcoding.

I was wondering what you guys thought would actually be more important in terms of specs of the model I get?

I was thinking:

8 core mac pro, 32gb RAM, 512gb hard drive, and Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM,

for £5,183

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-pro?product=MD878B/A&step=config#

OR if I can sacrifice CPU, and if RAM and GPU will be ore useful for me crunching through stuff 

6 core, 64gb RAM, and Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM, which would bring me in at 

£5,183.

I have no idea what would actually be more improtant for heavy avid, premiere pro editing, 4k rushes even.

What do you guys think? More CPU over GPU and RAM? More RAM and GPU over CPU?

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 3:12 PM In reply to

Re: Buying a Mac Pro, what would you recommend specs wise?

BUMP.

Someone PLEASE help.

What's more imporant here, more CPU or more RAM and GPU?

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 3:24 PM In reply to

"My dream world would be AMA'ing my Panasonic GH4 4k H.264 rushes, and editing those bad boys with no transcoding."

Then get a really beefy computer, lots of processors, lots of RAM, high end graphics card that enables CUDA...and use Adobe Premiere Pro.  Not trying to be snarky, but truthful. Avid doesn't leverage GPU that much, nor RAM. Fast processors will help and all, but H.264 is a BUGGER to edit native. That format wasn't designed for editing. It is a highly compressed format, and to deal with it you need software that DOES leverage GPU and RAM and Processors. Adobe does that.  Avid still needs the footage to be transcoded for ease of editing.

C300 is MXF...XDCAM MXF...pretty much a format that Avid already works with, that's why it is smooth.  Same with the Sony FS7...it shoots XDCAM 422 MXF files....Avid native media pretty much. RIPE for editing. H.264...not ripe for editing.

You can AMA link to the footage, and then background transcode with Avid. And then start cutting with the H.264 files while Avid media is generated in the background. And then link to that media.  

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 3:31 PM In reply to

Ok great,

But in terms, general editing, what would be better out of those two options.

The extra RAM, and GPU, or just the processor?

I'm guessing from your response the processor?

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 3:52 PM In reply to

Processors first, and then RAM. Really no need for more that 16GB of RAM, unless you plan on running multiple apps at the same time.

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 3:54 PM In reply to

Nice one thank you!

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 4:58 PM In reply to

Although, I heard before that NLE's destory RAM when using them, so will going up to 64gb RAM have any difference in performance? Or will it just never be noticable?

When does RAM really come into effect?

I\d love to be able to do stuff on after effects, colour correct in da vinca resolve, everything possible really smooth as butter.

It's not just for me but future proofing really when we get other editors in who could be doing all sorts.

But if you guys think 32gb will be overkill for most professional work?

• Thu, Jan 29 2015 6:50 PM In reply to

You won't notice the differernce between 16GB or 32GB with Avid MC.  RAM comes into effect when you run multiple apps, or when one app DOES require a lot. Adobe apps GOBBLE RAM, Avid does not.  Resolve relies on GPU and CPU most.  But if you want 32GB for other apps, to to have more running...and can affrd it, go for it. It's not going to make Avid any smoother.

• Fri, Jan 30 2015 3:56 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Don't forget/ignore speed of media drives, if the media cannot be supplied fast enough it won't matter what your cpu/gpu/ram is.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller