Latest post Wed, Jan 21 2015 9:57 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 4:30 PM

• jkhorton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 21 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Upgrade Information

Currently we are running Media Composer 5.5 and are wanting to get the subscription program and upgrade to the latest version. Trying to get information on whether or not my computer would handle it, whether on Avid's spec pages or through support seem to be fruitless, so maybe someone on here could help.

We are running Dell Precision T7500 computers, 12GB memory, 2 Intel Xeon processors at 2.40 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 - 64 bit, and ATI FirePro V4800 video cards. These computers have worked great with MC 5.5 but it's time to upgrade.

Also, one of these computers may be switched out to a Mac Pro sometime this year and was wondering about how complicated that is. I've seen some information about some problems with the new Macs using OS X 10.10, but it said "higher definition video," which I am assuming is 2K and above. So doing standard HD at 1920x1080 shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 8:52 PM In reply to

Re: Upgrade Information

There was an upgrade offer directly from Avid that would take you from your current version onto the subscription program, but the deadline was Dec 31st, 2014.

However, Videoguys still has upgrades available (as of earler today), so you can still get it from them.  If I were in your shoes, I'd do that quickly and worry about the systems later.

http://www.videoguys.com/

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 9:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JK....

As Carl said there was an offer but that expired 12/31/15..... we did extend it due to some issues with the web store and My Accounts but it was taken down on Monday 1/19/15.  However you can still buy from Videoguys.com and they even have a little bit of a discount.

Gary@videoguys.com 

The Dell 7500 isnt specifically on the list but we cant test them all.... based on your specifications it should be fine but I am going to ask the hardware guys.

Stand by

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 9:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JK

Dave our hardware god responded...

That system is equivalent to the older Z800.  The first gen Z800 has already been dropped from the qualified list. The ATI V4800 card is an entry level graphics card so that does not help the performance at all. This should perform similiar to MC 5.5 but I would upgrade one with a MC 8.x trial license and verify before upgrading everything. Marianna 
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller