Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2019 2:16 PM by Tilmann. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 24 2014 10:16 PM

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

Group Video and Audio Clips in Timeline

Assume you edited a really fast action sequence and did some awesome sounddesign within the limited few audio tracks.

There are some hits, crashes and impacts you want to stick to a certain video clip forever. So you may want to merge/group these clips. Similar to the "group clips“ feature to sync video and audio subclips, but not in bins, in the timeline.

The feature could also work like a more eloborated sync lock feature (only locks the whole track). You could also have some clips or maybe a whole scene wich is already perfectly done in picture and sound and you want to make sure that it doesn’t change in your 100 minute sequence. You would simply span a lasso or select all clips you want and click „group“. The grouped clips would be same colored like it looks when clips are muted e.g.

When you wanna move the grouped scene you would simply need to click once, it would behave like one single clip.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Fri, Dec 26 2014 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: Group Video and Audio Clips in Timeline

+1 (it does exist on Adobe Premiere, btw)

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 26 2014 12:00 PM In reply to

Hi guys, this already exists in MC.

You can save a whole sequence as new clip, you just need to drag the clip icon in the monitor, and drag it to a bin with the ALT key. Try it, and see if it is what you were looking for.

Best.

Diego

* Avid Media Composer 2018.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10

• Fri, Dec 26 2014 12:55 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

diegovillalba:

Hi guys, this already exists in MC.

Hi Diego,

unfortunately it doesn't exist. What you are describing only makes a copy of a section of the sequence which "itself" still behaves like a sequence. Because it is a sequence.

I want that bit of a sequence to be a CLIP, made of video and audio clips that I selected before in a sequence.  There is a similar feature that only works with video. It's called collapse, but it's not that handy especially when you want to de-collapse. and it doesn't work with video and audio together.

I'm talking about a "collapse-video-and-audio-clips-together" feature.

I'll check adobe premiere.

best

sven

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com

• Fri, Dec 26 2014 1:20 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Check FCPX as well.  It's called a Compound Clip and they are very handy for many reasons.

*Edit* - Here is an overview: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12630

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Fri, Dec 26 2014 1:34 PM In reply to

+1.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 26 2014 3:03 PM In reply to

Yeah, this is a Premiere Pro and FCPX thing.  I wish we had "grouping" like this for Media Composer.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Sat, Dec 27 2014 2:56 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

As far as video is concerned you do, but there isn't a similar thing for audio, nor can you tie the audio to the video.  If you're interested in the video-only equivalent, mark you region and click the submaster icon.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 27 2014 2:24 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

That's the cool thing about Compund Clips.  You can throw anything in there and always be able to hop in and change whenever, as it will open up on it's own project timeline.  You can easily break it apart again to it's separate items at any point.

The Compound Clip also becomes a regular media clip in the browser, so if you built a graphic animation that was to be used over multiple openings, for example, create it once and then make a Compound Clip from it.  It becomes a single clip in your Library, but can always be opened and tweaked to fit whatever you are putting it over.  Plus you can add  CC, effects, sound, whatever you can do to a regular media clip.

Powerful voodoo.

Scott Witthaus

• Sat, Dec 27 2014 2:38 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

switthaus:

You can throw anything in there and always be able to hop in and change whenever,...easily break it apart again to it's separate items at any point... Compound Clip also becomes a regular media clip in the browser...

Thats exactly IT!!!! thanks switthaus.

better do a perfect copy of something existing than inventing someting new with all its childhood illnesses ;)

www.svenbudelmann.com

• Sat, Dec 27 2014 6:40 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,365
    • Points 16,830

sven2615:
    better do a perfect copy of something existing than inventing someting new with all its childhood illnesses ;)

I know a number of patent attornies and responsible CEOs who may disagree with you. Wink 

Actually. much of the compound clip capability already exists with a creative combination of collapsing, subclipping and autosynching. 

The bigger problem (for me) occurs in not being able to use edited subclips and subsequences as multicam sources.

• Sun, Dec 28 2014 11:53 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

smrpix:
    I know a number of patent attornies and responsible CEOs who may disagree with you.

Indeed.  If you look at Resolve and FCPX, they are amazingly close in interface design and functions.  I am sure the Resolve attorneys took good long looks into the product before releasing it!

smrpix:
    Actually. much of the compound clip capability already exists with a creative combination of collapsing, subclipping and autosynching. 

The thing Avid needs to do is make this one-click and give at least some of the options noted above.

Scott Witthaus

• Tue, Dec 30 2014 12:36 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

There's something similar in their defunct DS software that they already have patents for. I don't think that's what's stopping them.

switthaus:

smrpix:
    I know a number of patent attornies and responsible CEOs who may disagree with you.

Indeed.  If you look at Resolve and FCPX, they are amazingly close in interface design and functions.  I am sure the Resolve attorneys took good long looks into the product before releasing it!

smrpix:

The thing Avid needs to do is make this one-click and give at least some of the options noted above.

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 12:39 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

There are a lot of good things in DS that Avid continues to ignore.  

Scott Witthaus

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 12:44 PM In reply to

DS? What's DS?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller