Latest post Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:22 PM by camoscato. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:58 AM

IMPORT TO AVID - HELP!

Hi
    First of all: sorry for my english, it isnt my first language. I'm a pretty new editer and I haven't so much knowledge about importing, converting et.c

I want to import files into Avid that's about 2-3 GB big, 2-3 hours long clips, it's orginal a MP4 - file format.  Frame Size: 1920x796 or 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

I have for example a file that has these options: 
    x264
    Frame Size: 1920x796
    Lenght: 2 hours 18 minutes 
    Data rate: 1824 kbit/s
    Total bit rate: 1916 kbits/s
    Frame rate: 23/s
    Size: 1,85 GB
    Format: MPEG-4 Movie (Mp4)

I tried using AMA to these kind of files, but it wont work. The whole Avid is freezing up or hacking. And transcoding didnt work at all. I cant even get to the option to transcode because Avid freezes. So I tried importing the files to Avid,  but it's going incredible slow. I imported for lika an hour and I still cant see the blue space being filled one bit. I also tried to change the file with MPEG STREAMCLIP to an Quicktime - file, Avid Codec DNxHD but the file got crazy big - like 30 GB and it took about 6.5 hours. 

The project I'm working on is just for fun personal use and it will only be uploaded to Youtube. What should I do if my upload goal is Youtube with 1080/720 High Quality with small files? What format should I import and with which settings? Thanks!

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: IMPORT TO AVID - HELP!

MiracleTear:
    I want to import files into Avid that's about 2-3 GB big, 2-3 hours long clips, it's orginal a MP4 - file format.

Can you break these up into smaller files?

MiracleTear:
    I tried using AMA to these kind of files, but it wont work. The whole Avid is freezing up or hacking.

If you could make smaller files, you should be able to AMA link to them, and then transcode them to whatever DNxHD resolution you like.

My guess is that the files are too big for the system to handle. It would help to know more about the system you're working on.  Which specific version are you running? Mac or PC? What processor? What video card? How much RAM?

If you edit your user profile, you can add this information so you don't have to type it all the time.  (Look at the bottom of this post for an example.)

MiracleTear:
    What should I do if my upload goal is Youtube with 1080/720 High Quality with small files? What format should I import and with which settings?

You should create either a 1920x1080 or a 1280x720 project, AMA link to your Quicktime files, transcode them to DNxHD, and then start editing.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:18 PM In reply to

Thank you for your answer!

That's sounds correct. I will def try that! I guess I could break these up into smaller files using MPEG STREAMCLIP. Which format and settings should I use when I make these one smaller? I dont want the file to be to big and I want to keep the quality.

COMPUTER SPEC:
    PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz (4CPUs) ~ 3.3 GHz 
    Video Card: ASUS P8Z68V-PRO GEN3
    RAM:  8192 MB

I will update my user profile. Thansk!  

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:42 PM In reply to

MiracleTear:
    Which format and settings should I use when I make these one smaller?

I would leave them the same.

MiracleTear:
    I dont want the file to be to big and I want to keep the quality.

If you break them into short enough chunks, the file size will not be as big of a problem as it is now.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 3:06 PM In reply to

So for example I should make 6 smaller parts of the big file (20 minutes each) with MPEG-STREAMCLIP. Export each part with MP4 using H.264 with 100% quality and unscaled. And afterwards using AMA linking and it should work?

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:22 PM In reply to

MiracleTear:
    So for example I should make 6 smaller parts of the big file (20 minutes each) with MPEG-STREAMCLIP. Export each part with MP4 using H.264 with 100% quality and unscaled. And afterwards using AMA linking and it should work?

Yes, that's a good idea.  My one suggestion is to make the first 20 minute clip and test it to see if you can AMA link and transcode it.  If you can, keep going with the rest.  

If it still locks up or freezes with a 20 minute clip, try making a 10 minute clip.  Keep testing shorter clips until you find a length that works.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller