Latest post Wed, Dec 17 2014 3:27 PM by Marianna. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:23 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] AvidBlog | MC Licensing & Upgrade Options | 10.30.14

Kate , Product Manager of out Editor Product Mgmt team, wrote this awesome blog about the new licensing options.....

Check it out!

http://community.avid.com/blogs/mediacomposer/archive/2014/10/29/media-composer-licensing-and-upgrades.aspx

Questions, let me know....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:37 PM In reply to

• birgitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Re: AvidBlog | MC Licensing & Upgrade Options | 10.30.14

I bought a box with Media Composes 5.5.2 and it was pre-installed from the HP Seller on my compuere from whom I bought a specific PC for that purpose.That was in Dec, 2011. I registered the Media Composer in January 2012. I remember having gotten email that you don't support that package anymore, but didn't react then, as I was not using the software.

I am now trying to bring myself up-to-date and want to use the software as an occasional amateur video editor and want a working set up on my PC.

Which license would you recommend for me? Also I am not sure if the Sorensen Squeeze software will be then upgraded automatically with it. I need that, because my old one isn't set up properly.

Thanks.

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

hey

send me an email off forum with your name and if you know the system ID of your 5.5.x system.

I can assist you.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 31 2014 8:30 PM In reply to

• chrisrash
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 31 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I have a couple questions regarding users with current licenses.

We will be upgrading 7 dongle-based 6.5 licenses including two symphony systems.

For the Media Composer systems, because we already own perpetual licenses, would we only pay the $299/year for the support contract?  Would that then entitle us to upgrades/updates as long as we continue to pay the annual $299 fee, or would that increase to the $599/year subscription fee at some point?

For the two Symphony systems, would we also need to pay the $750 fee to upgrade to the Sympohny option, or would we pay the same support fee as we would with Media Composer but receive the Symphony option for free since we had already purchased a Symphony system? 

• Fri, Oct 31 2014 9:34 PM In reply to

chrisrash:
    or would we pay the same support fee as we would with Media Composer but receive the Symphony option for free since we had already purchased a Symphony system? 
    In my understanding this is the case.

• Fri, Oct 31 2014 10:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

chrisrash:

For the Media Composer systems, because we already own perpetual licenses, would we only pay the $299/year for the support contract?  Would that then entitle us to upgrades/updates as long as we continue to pay the annual $299 fee, or would that increase to the $599/year subscription fee at some point?

Yes that is correct - $299 / per year.  You can migrate to subscription as well but perpetual is $299 per year. [quote

chrisrash:

For the two Symphony systems, would we also need to pay the $750 fee to upgrade to the Sympohny option, or would we pay the same support fee as we would with Media Composer but receive the Symphony option for free since we had already purchased a Symphony system? 

No... you already have Symphony.  When we moved to MC 7 - we broke Symphony out as an option so when going from Symphony 6.5 to 8.x you would actually get 2 activations for each Symphony system.  One for MC 8.x and one for Symphny option.  You would just be upgrading your MC and the Option would reside on top of the latest one you have.  $299 is the price regardless of MC or MC + Symphony Option.

HTH

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 6 2014 10:59 PM In reply to

Hello Marianna.

I purchased Media Composer Student version (box) in September of 2012. How does this affect me and why haven't I been able to update Media Composer 7?

Machine 1: Custom 3.3GHz Intel Xeon E31245 QuadCore (8 threads, HyperThreading enabled) 16GB RAM (1666MHz) (set to 1600mHz) 2TB 7200rpm system drive (1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 7 2014 2:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Larry Smiley-El:

Hello Marianna.

I purchased Media Composer Student version (box) in September of 2012. How does this affect me and why haven't I been able to update Media Composer 7?

Larry

If you bought a student license in Sept. 2012, then the 4 years of free upgrades should still be in play.  

- You would need to log in to your Master Account at account.avid.com

- then go to http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrade-academic-free

- enter your System ID and Activtion ID for the Student license.

- We verify that all is legit and the license is registered etc... and it ok, we deposit your MC 8.x upgrade in your Master Account

- would be under My Products and Subscriptions.

HTH

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Nov 8 2014 5:06 AM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Hello Marianna,

I have not upgraded MC since V 6, mainly because I'm been a (very) part time user and I saw nothing exciting for me in updates since that version. I'll be retiring next year so I should have more time to get back to editing. BUT, after reading an email today from Avid outlining the "new deal" it sounds like if I don't fork over about $300 a year or give Avid x amount of dollars a month shortly my software will not be usable, is this correct? Plus if I decide to keep MC installed what plan  would you think would fit a part time user?

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. In my retirement years the last thing I need is another Monthly bill :)

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Your pepetual licence would be usable until hardware or OS changes get in the way. Evolving camera formats could be a factor, but if cost is a concern, low cost options like TmpGenc can transcode pesky files.

If you are running Apple, don't go for all those updates, they tend to break things.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Nov 16 2014 1:42 AM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Thanks John,

I've decide not renew my MC license, either Monthly or Yearly and just use the money I'll save on Apps for FCP X. It's becoming a very useful program and more to my fancy.

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:00 AM In reply to

• paulmdiaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 17 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

So I just logged in thinking I was able to update to MC8 and It looks like I can't. I purchased an upgrade April of this year and now I'm reading that not only do I need to spend $300 before Jan 1, 2015 but yearly. That's about $360 this year for the 7 upgrade and $300 for the support deal, $660. Funny cause I had upgraded this year as a return from the FCP Studio hiatus, gonna have to give this some thought.

• Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:14 AM In reply to

paulmdiaz:
    I purchased an upgrade April of this year
    When in April? Before or after NAB?

If after NAB my understanding is that you were entitled to MC8 (when it was released) along with all updates and support for 12 months from your purchase date. (till April X 2015)

If you do need to update then that $300 covers all updates for 12 months from the time you update. (Update on Dec 31st and that covers you for all updates and support for the whole of 2015)

• Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:13 PM In reply to

• paulmdiaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Paul.....

Like Andrew said, if around NAB timeframe then you could be eligible for MC 8.   I took the liberty of checking your MY Account and it looks like you bought a 6.5 to 7 upgrade around 4/10/14 so you ust have bought the FCP to MC crossgrade prior to that.  Given that you have 7.0.x now, you would get MC 8.2 and the next version with 4K this year as well as all the upgrades for the year the $299/Upgrade plan is valid.  On top of that, you get 12 support calls and unlimited online support.

If you have any questions.... ping me on email shoud you feel you should have recieved MC 8. Make sure you send em your system ID

Marianna

• Tue, Nov 18 2014 12:56 AM In reply to

• paulmdiaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Marianna, Thank you very much for all your help.

For anyone that stumbles upon this post, I just wanted to come back and say that Marianna helped me out it a very honorable way. Gotta give it up to them for the customer support. Yes

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller