Latest post Tue, Jan 13 2015 5:40 PM by Robert B. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 24 2014 12:02 AM

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

iMac 5k

New iMac with 5K display is out. Was going to upgrade to iMac from older system. I guess my first question is when will Avid qualify it?

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Sat, Oct 25 2014 1:11 AM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Re: iMac 5k

I would think they would qualify it, but it might take awhile.  I can't think of an instance where they didn't qualify a high end machine from Apple.

One interesting problem for Avid engineering is how the actual Avid interface would scale to a display that huge.  I don't think its currently designed with that many pixels in mind.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 26 2014 3:34 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The display will appear as a 2560 x 1440.  If you use it as a 5K display the letters on the screen will be very, very, very tiny.  As it's a new machine it probably won't work with anything older than Yosemite (OSX 10.10) and Media Composer is not yet qualifed for that OS.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Oct 26 2014 5:21 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

hbrock:

The display will appear as a 2560 x 1440.  If you use it as a 5K display the letters on the screen will be very, very, very tiny.  As it's a new machine it probably won't work with anything older than Yosemite (OSX 10.10) and Media Composer is not yet qualifed for that OS.

I would imagine there would be a display setting similar to that of my Retina MacBook Pro Late 2013. 

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Sun, Oct 26 2014 8:57 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 922
    • Points 10,730

Retina support would be great, Premiere & Final Cut support it since 2012.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sun, Oct 26 2014 9:04 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The Retina display will be limited to something less than 5K.  I've got a Retina MacBook Pro that limits the top resolution on the retina display to 1920 x 1200 even though the screen resolution is 2880x1800.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Oct 26 2014 11:28 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 922
    • Points 10,730

You could run the retina macbook pro at it's native resolution with a program like "SetResX", but you don't want to do that because the screensize is too small. But you get 4times more pixels per inch at the standard "retina" resolution, which is 1440x900. So your eyes can see more details, sharper text, thumbnails, the video in the composer window looks much nicer because you can see more details. I hope with the new iMac and 4K displays, Avid will adjust the interface.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:49 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Something to bear in mind, retina screens are meant for general usability and are more beneficial for reading purposes than proper production work - especially graphics and video orientated stuff.  It's a little OTT but imagine you are working on something where you need to be able to clearly see a single pixel, a line that is the width of a single pixel, or work with anything where you need absolute pixel precision and need to be able to actually see the panel reflect this, the last thing you want is to be working on a screen where the dot pitch so fine you can't resolve an individual pixel with your naked eyes.  Not that you can and should trust the viewer or full screen playback within Avid itself for a faithful representation of your footage - you should use a client monitor with a resolution native to what you are displaying - but a retina screen is going to make this a whole lot worse.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:11 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 922
    • Points 10,730

Shure, it will not replace the client monitor that is attached to a breakout box. 

But the whole interface with composer window (that isn't running on a client monitor) could look much better with more details.

www.film-editing.de

• Tue, Oct 28 2014 12:20 AM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

cccu tech:

Something to bear in mind, retina screens are meant for general usability and are more beneficial for reading purposes than proper production work - especially graphics and video orientated stuff.  It's a little OTT but imagine you are working on something where you need to be able to clearly see a single pixel, a line that is the width of a single pixel, or work with anything where you need absolute pixel precision and need to be able to actually see the panel reflect this, the last thing you want is to be working on a screen where the dot pitch so fine you can't resolve an individual pixel with your naked eyes.  Not that you can and should trust the viewer or full screen playback within Avid itself for a faithful representation of your footage - you should use a client monitor with a resolution native to what you are displaying - but a retina screen is going to make this a whole lot worse.

Why wouldn't you just zoom in?.... Especially if you're dealing with individual pixels?

• Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:47 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

For some things of course you can zoom in, and I do that on my own 2560x1600 and 1920x1080 screens for certain things.  But where possible I use 100% magnification, 1:1 mapping, so I know what the overall context and feel is.  Granted this is idealogical for me and some things aren't as relevant to this ideal and would benefit from just looking nicer, such as the general interface, but this isn't a phone or tablet so if it's a choice between the retina or discernable pixels, with a sensible dot pitch, I'd take the latter.

Try looking at something in Photoshop at 100% and then zoom in/out and see what you get.  Unless you zoom in/out by a specific factor there will be artifacts, moire, aliasing, superficially created and unless you are aware of what the problem is and why they are there you might think you have a problem when you don't.  Zooming in/out takes you away from 1:1 mapping which is what you sometimes need to see and it's bad enough with Avid as it is without any indication as to what the size and scaling of the viewer is - as it happens Premiere, After Effetcs, etc do show you the magnification factor and I also happen to trust their viewers more in general.  Some people aren't that pedantic, but when they are and you then have to explain about things like scaling it's going to get weird pulling out a magnifying glass.

What if you were working with interlaced footage and looking at it the way a computer displays it, which is to show the combing?  I know Avid lets you toggle and show individual fields when needed but the way a retina display squishes the lines together may fool you or a client into thinking it's progressive, but isn't.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Was thinking of linking a TB display with the iMac. If I used that for the composer and timeline and use the iMac Retina for the desktop work area I wonder if that would help with the resolution?

Editor

• Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:24 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Apologies in advance for little bit of a rant here...

People don't truly understand resolution so I want to clarify, so that we are all on the same page, that resolution actually means being able to distinguish (resolve) the difference between individual pixels.  Retina screens are designed so that you can't do this, at least not your average Joe at the average viewing distance.  An increase in "resolution", or more accurately pixel dimensions, should go hand in hand with an increase in display size or else the individual pixels become very very hard to distinguish from one another.  This is why display manufacturers have resisted making small high "resolution" displays, there simply is no, practical, point.  And I'm talking about TVs and monitors here, not phones or tablets.

Kelly, it depends on what you are trying to achieve, avoid, or gain by using a secondary monitor.  That solution would mitigate (partially) the issue that I'm trying to highlight with the composer.  It wouldn't be necessary for the rest of the work area (timeline, bins, etc) as, providing they are scaled/rendered properly, those things would actually benefit from a retina screen.  As your composer wouldn't be on the retina screen you bypass the retina effect so the concealing problem is solved, or more accurately, is never an issue.  The partial bit is because you would still have the issue of the composer window working somewhat arbitrarily in its scaling to contend with, so in a way it wouldn't matter what display, retina or not, you placed it on.  Having said that, if Avid were to have a proper scaling and display quality option for the composer (Adobe style) this problem would then go away and all you would need is a Mac and non retina display.

As it stands, I'm not aware that any such option exists or is even on the horizon so it would be an expensive punt - circa £2000 + £900 at base prices - for something that would not and might not ever provide trustworthy scaling.  If you were to do things the proper way, as per the industry standard configuration, which would provide proper scaling depending on your choice of monitor on the end, you would need: 1) any Mac (e.g. the cheaper of the 27' iMac's at £1450, or you could still go for the 5k iMac at £2000) + 2) client monitor breakout box £100 + 3) monitor/TV with matching "resolution" to what you want to display (high street TV £200 upwards, or proper client monitor for £1k upwards).  Configuration and costs obviously differ depending on what you want/need.

• Tue, Jan 13 2015 5:40 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

I just thought I'd chime in here for those curious about the new Imac.

I finally had time to set up the new 5K imac system last week and have been putting it through my normal daily workload. So far so good! The Avid interface is displayed as it does on the normal 27" Imac and while it isn't as sharp as the OSX UI objects bordering the window it certainly doesn't make you cringe - it feels just like you're editing on the late 2013 model. 

Most importantly, 8.3 seems to behave as well as it does on the late 2013 model. My only caveat so far is that I haven't tested the video output cards yet. I have both a AJA T-tap and a Blackmagic Mini Monitor. I'll need them for some color correction this weekend and will follow up on the trim/scrub performance and stability. I'll probably try the T-tap first. The software only editing has been nice and stable and I am a little reluctant to ruin that. 

The fullscreen playback mode works but does have some refresh lag that is not ideal. I'm not sure if there is a magical console command/setting that will improve the vertical sync.

The 5K model I'm using has these specs - OSX 10.10.1, 32GB RAM, 4GB video card, and SSD system drive. My media drive is the Caldigit T4 20TB thunderbolt Raid. 

-Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller