Latest post Sun, Aug 24 2014 2:08 PM by Terry Snyder. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:04 PM

• Helpnxt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Anyone use a mechanical keyboard?

Does anyone use a mechanical keyboard for editing? What do you think of it?

What is the best cherry switch for editing?

• Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:42 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,317
    • Points 53,375

Re: Anyone use a mechanical keyboard?

Although a clickety-clack keyboard  has a nice Selectric sort of feel, it could be a distraction to some...(typing this on an old IBM Keytronics)

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:41 PM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,495

Helpnxt:
    What is the best cherry switch for editing?

Been looking at those boards myself lately. I'm using a logitech gameboard now with dome switches and the extra buttons are really handy for macro's and buttons you like to give a place. Keep in mind though that you loose the guide of avid capped keyboards. Myself, I would go for the brown cherry switch: silent but with a set point of action in the switch, so you don't make everybody crazy with click's while there is a certain on/off sense to pushing the keys. Furthermore I would like to have background lit keys, especially in the darker environment of the edit suite. A connection for USB2/3 devices would also be nice, so sticks and disks can be connected without have to dive for the computer. Haven't found a board yet to include all those options and since my logitech still works fine I'll wait till I do. 

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Sun, Aug 24 2014 2:08 PM In reply to

I loved the feel and sound of a mechanical keyboard...until the day I spilled a cup of coffee on it.  Unlike solid state keyboards, they were not spill resistant.   I also used to regularly blow out all the dust and cookie crumbs from beneath the keys with a can of compressed air...   But that was in the "old" days.  

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller