Latest post Fri, Aug 15 2014 4:48 AM by Marianna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 5 2014 11:58 PM

• carcharias
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2014
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225

Moving media between projects

Still new convert from FCP, and have looked up answers on this site through Google but none have solved my easy issue.

I captured hdv/24p footage from my Z7u into an MC7 project, and it's perfectly fine. I now need this footage on another drive, and under another project. I have copied all the files to the new external project. (The previous files/project on the desktop computer are now deleted.) I simply want to import this already captured footage into the new project, but it will not let me.

How do I import these Avid-captured MXF files into my new project?

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Aug 6 2014 1:30 AM In reply to

Re: Moving media between projects

carcharias:
    I have copied all the files to the new external project.
    What files did you copy? What folder structure did you cory those files into?

carcharias:
    I simply want to import this already captured footage into the new project, but it will not let me.
    Avid has a very simple way of doing this IF and When you understand fundemental Avid Media Management.

Simply Avid Projects are made up and savedof two almost totally seperate parts

1: The Project    A relatively small file that manages everything you tell a project to do.
    2: The Media.    Usually stored on a seperate drive from the Project. 

Avid always writes its own media to and will only read its own media from A folder that conform to this.

The media folder must be at the root Level of a drive.
    The Folder must be named exactly Avid MediaFiles.
    There can only be one  Avid MediaFiles per drive.
    Inside the Avid MediaFiles folder is a MXF folder.
    Inside the MXF folder is one or more folders with a simple number as the name ( 1 for instance)All Avid captured media resides in the numbered folder   (Drivename\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 )

Also inside the numbered folder are two database files (msFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb) that Avid uses to keep track of all of its media.

So if you copied your Avid MediaFiles folder to the root level of your drive (or you left the original Avid MediaFiles folder where it was) you do not need to import the files into the new project. Just Open a new bin and drag the msmMMOB.mdb file into this bin and the bin will populate with all the clips from the original capture. 

If you did not copythe Avid MediaFiles folder to the root level of the drive, just move it to the root level and open a new bin and drag the msmMMOB.mdb file into this bin and the bin will populate with all the clips from the original capture. 

Good luck

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 3:53 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Andrew - I've never heard it explained better, even the computer illiterate should be able to understand that!

Perhaps they should take that post put it under a sticky heading and call it "How Avid stores media". Then we could just refer people to it :) We'd probably need another post on "How Avid tracks AMA Media"

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 3:56 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

carcharias:
    How do I import these Avid-captured MXF files into my new project?

You don't - see Andrews post.

PS - for tape based projects, if for some reason you delete the source media you can always batch capture from you original source tapes...see Batch Capture in the help file

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Fri, Aug 15 2014 12:27 AM In reply to

• carcharias
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2014
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 225

YOU, Andrew.... I LOVE you! This is exactly the simple and easy answer I needed but didn't find anywhere else. THANK YOU! I agree that this answer should be posted everywhere possible!

One more simple question: can I now delete everything else in the new bin that popped up with the new media I originally needed? I don't want to delete the master clips in the process, but I also want to "un-clutter" that bin. Or should I simply keep this as a trash bin and make ANOTHER new bin strictly for these clips?

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M370X [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 15 2014 3:48 AM In reply to

carcharias:
    can I now delete everything else in the new bin that popped up with the new media I originally needed?
    Unless I am supremely confident that I am not going to screw anything up I would not delete anything. (The clips you see in here are only pointers and take up minimal space.)

I would open another bin and move the unrequired clips into that bin. Name this new bin something that helps me to know that I do not need these clips in this Project.

At a later time I would setup a new non essential testing project that I would test out all the different ways I can delete the clips and leave the media, Delete a bin (moves it to the trash from where I can recover it) etc so I gain complete confidence in how I can manage my workflows best.

Good Luck.

• Fri, Aug 15 2014 4:48 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,202
    • Points 218,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

carcharias:
    This is exactly the simple and easy answer I needed but didn't find anywhere els

When it comes to media management Andrew has a very clear and understandable way of describing things. In fact, not so long ago, he walked me through the whole process and more so that I could turn his words and ideas into a series of video tutorials for mere mortals.

You can read more about the whole thing on the Forums, HERE

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller