Latest post Fri, Jul 25 2014 3:21 AM by dskrobow. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 23 2014 3:45 AM

• dskrobow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 5 2012
    • Posts 24
    • Points 300

Media Composer AMA Relink Workflow Question

Hi, I'm a student and a relatively new Media Composer 7 user. So, please excuse my ignorance. I have a question.

I know that Media Composer 7 includes a background transcode feature. Suppose that I wanted to Link to an AMA volume, start editing with the AMA clips such that I create a sequence using those clips, all the while MC is background transcoding the AMA clips into something like DNxHD 36.

My Question:

Is it possible to, once MC completes background transcoding the AMA clips, substitute the newly transcoded DNxHD 36 clips into the sequence that was initially constructed with the AMA clips in order to improve the program's performance? ...sorta' like setting a proxy...but only in reverse.

I'm asking this because I've watched several tutorials and read articles that seem to explain part of my question, but none of them have really addressed it fully.

If this is possible, could someone please explain how to do it.

All tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

• Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:37 AM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

Re: Media Composer AMA Relink Workflow Question

right click on sequence: choose relink...and done.

1. avid mc 8.9.3 intel i7 7700, 32GB DDR3, nvida geforce gtx 1070, Win10 64bit, 9TB-Raid-0 @ onboardcontroller // alienware intel i7 win10 64bit ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:55 AM In reply to

Ah the same question posted in various forums.. So the same answer.

Yes as mentioned use relink on the sequence but as before I'd add use the lower section to select the resolution to link to, to be sure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 3:29 AM In reply to

• dskrobow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 300

Thanks for the replies, gentlmen. I guess I'm a little confused about what Kevin P. McAuliffe is saying in this video. Would someone mind reconciling their answer with what Kevin is saying?

http://youtu.be/YflRzwII6vE?t=14m18s

Thanks.

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:56 AM In reply to

Again I've reponded in the COW post and said:

But all I can add is that yes you can do exactly what you proposed.
    You AMA link your footage. You set off background transcodes.
    You start to cut with the AMA sources. When the transcodes are done you select the sequence and choose re-link. In the relink dialogue select at the bottom the Avid resolution you used to make the transcoded clips with and relink.
    You will get a copy of the sequence (if you ticked that box) linked to the transcoded media and the original sequence still linked to the AMA sources.
    If you need to you can still cut in AMA fresh sources and at the end of the session transcode the sequence choosing AMA only and any AMA clips will be transcoded direct in the timeline making .new master clips in the bin.
    This is a very standard and robust workflow.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 25 2014 3:21 AM In reply to

• dskrobow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 300

Thanks for the great information, Pat.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller