Latest post Sat, Jul 19 2014 4:27 AM by Telegram!. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 1:50 AM

Transcoding GoPro a no-go

Hi all, hoping somebody here can help us out with this one - transcoding car-mounted GoPro footage is taking eons, and really would like to find a more efficient solution.

Our workflow right now is this, in MC 5.5 (I know): AMA Link both our XDCAM EX main cams and GoPros, then transcode to 14:1 MXFs for offline. The XDCAM is pretty fast, but something about those H.264s bogs down all of our (admittedly pretty old) machines (i.e. this PC I'm typing on is an HP Z400 Workstation w/ Windows 7 Profesh, Xeon W3550 @ 3.07 GHz, 6GB RAM, Quadro FX 3800 GPU). 

Any suggestions out there for what's slowing these down/how to speed them up? Have to stick with the 14:1 for now, but if, for example, there's a way to transcode outside of Avid and fast import, I'm all ears. 

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 2:33 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,334
    • Points 40,325

Re: Transcoding GoPro a no-go

I would download DaVinci Resolve Lite and test it for transcode.  It can be quite fast.  But it gets it's speed from a beefy GPU.  Not sure how your's will stack up.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 6:07 AM In reply to

GoPro footage is often really long and most is unwanted. Can't you make selects of what you need and then transcode just that?

Other than that upgrade to V8 and get background transcode. No faster but you can continue to work while it does it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 16 2014 6:38 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Or maybe use Squeeze or even Squeeze Pro, Squeeze will create DNxHD that will fast import and Squeeze Pro will create ready to use MXF files

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 16 2014 8:26 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,483
    • Points 17,530

mjolnarn:

Or maybe use Squeeze or even Squeeze Pro, Squeeze will create DNxHD that will fast import and Squeeze Pro will create ready to use MXF files

I tried the Squeeze 9 Pro Trial with AVCDH files and the transcode to DNxHD gave me only error messages.

So, I don't know if it will work in his case. Maybe he should install the trial version for testing that workflow first.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Thu, Jul 17 2014 12:02 AM In reply to

jef:

I would download DaVinci Resolve Lite and test it for transcode.  It can be quite fast.  But it gets it's speed from a beefy GPU.  Not sure how your's will stack up.

Jef

Thanks Jef. I'll look into this - the Quadro's we've got may not be great, but I'd think they should be able to help Resolve do better than MC's 1-1.5hrs for a 13-min clip. 

Pat Horridge:

GoPro footage is often really long and most is unwanted. Can't you make selects of what you need and then transcode just that?

Other than that upgrade to V8 and get background transcode. No faster but you can continue to work while it does it.

At least on this show, that's not really the AE team's call - either the selects suggestion, or upgrading software and hardware. Would that it were. 

Sylvain P:

mjolnarn:

I tried the Squeeze 9 Pro Trial with AVCDH files and the transcode to DNxHD gave me only error messages.

So, I don't know if it will work in his case. Maybe he should install the trial version for testing that workflow first.

Re: mjolnarn and Sylvain, I haven't worked with Squeeze before. My only concern with that and/or Resolve would be when we get to uprezzing - say we transcode the GP footage to 14:1 MXFs (do these programs even have this codec?), and then import those, would there be any way to relink to original media for the online? 

• Thu, Jul 17 2014 1:52 AM In reply to

• Harry Invision
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 3 2010
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,125

Hi,

I do a Series at the moment with a heap of Go Pro, background services is good but still around 3.5 times real time so i hour takes around 3.5 hours...ouch. I have 60 days to ingest with 6 Go pros running. 

I have Sony XDCAM 500 files 50 bit 25P coming in as well. So I have Adobe Media Encoder running in the background this converts the Go Pro MP4s to XDCAM 50bit 25P this happens quicker than real time you can get another CPU running even quicker, they end up double the file size with no quality loss. You then can drop these into straight into MXF folders or just import much the same time scale in the end. It all happens quicker than realtime....

I'm at Day 39 at the moment so excuse the jibblerish thearpy is needed...have fun and enjoy...Paul H

Ps Nice to know some else is having fun with MP4s.

Media Comoposer 2018.4 + Symphony DX Nitris HP Z840 E5-2659 Quadro P4000 32Gb of Ram Win 10 64bit 64TB Editshare 16TB Internal Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 17 2014 2:58 AM In reply to

Alejandro M:

Hi all, hoping somebody here can help us out with this one - transcoding car-mounted GoPro footage is taking eons, and really would like to find a more efficient solution.

Our workflow right now is this, in MC 5.5 (I know): AMA Link both our XDCAM EX main cams and GoPros, then transcode to 14:1 MXFs for offline. The XDCAM is pretty fast, but something about those H.264s bogs down all of our (admittedly pretty old) machines (i.e. this PC I'm typing on is an HP Z400 Workstation w/ Windows 7 Profesh, Xeon W3550 @ 3.07 GHz, 6GB RAM, Quadro FX 3800 GPU). 

Any suggestions out there for what's slowing these down/how to speed them up? Have to stick with the 14:1 for now, but if, for example, there's a way to transcode outside of Avid and fast import, I'm all ears. 

Can you get your hands on a GoPro camera to play back the files? Perhaps using an HDMI-to-HD-SDI AJA converter box playing back in real-time (into an Avid Nitris DX, XDCam recorder, etc.) would work & wind up being faster.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 17 2014 6:21 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Sylvain P:

mjolnarn:

Hi Sylvain, long time, hope you are doing well.

Regarding Squeeze you are doing something wrong, no idea what you are doing though, there is a quicktime bug when encoding movs to physical drives 1 tB and larger but that shouldn´t affect mxf files

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:48 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Harry Invision:

this converts the Go Pro MP4s to XDCAM 50bit 25P this happens quicker than real time you can get another CPU running even quicker, they end up double the file size with no quality loss.

Sorry to bring the bad news here but transcoding one long gop codec to another long gop codec will give you quality losses, the term is secondary long gop degeneration.

The XD cam 50 codec might do well as a final delivery codec coming from a project with, maybe DNxHD 185, when using this codec as a middleman you will never get a better quality than this if you aren´t using this codec as an offline codec and relinks to the origin in the very end, I don´t think that this is possible with goPro files and AME however.

As you seem to be satisfied with the quality and it saves you time I have nothing to argue about that however but time seems to be more important than possible quality losses here in this project with all these amount of media.

Tomas 

• Fri, Jul 18 2014 1:12 AM In reply to

• Harry Invision
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 3 2010
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,125

Yes Mjoinarn,

That is right, but at the beginning of the process I tested both ways and apart a slight lift in blacks, you can't pick any quality loss. A wipe between sources shows nothing. We are talking Go Pros MP4s.

My end project in total is around 7TBs and with quick turnaround weekly to a Network of 10 x 1 hours, I don't bother with offline res, storage is cheaper than time. End delivery is XDCAM 50  Op 1 MXF anway.

Works well for me...Transcoding has always chugged with MP4s...and if anyone from Go Pro reads this give us Time of Day code please!.....Harry

Media Comoposer 2018.4 + Symphony DX Nitris HP Z840 E5-2659 Quadro P4000 32Gb of Ram Win 10 64bit 64TB Editshare 16TB Internal Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 18 2014 10:09 PM In reply to

GoPro has their own software availalbe for free that you can use to transcode it. http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio-edit-software

I'm surprised by the number of people using GoPro footage that aren't aware of this.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Jul 19 2014 4:17 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,610
    • Points 60,250

And what's cool about that is that you transcode to a CineForm codec that AMA links and edits very quickly in MC with the added benefit of meta data that allows you to change exposure and color on-the-fly from outside MC. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jul 19 2014 4:27 AM In reply to

Does a fast modern PC and this software get your GoPro stuff into Avid MXF faster than real-time?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller