Latest post Mon, Jun 23 2014 8:15 PM by ryguy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:06 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Locating Source Media for a Subclip

Hey Everyone,

This issue has bothered me for some time and so I thought I would present it here in hopes that someone could teach me a way to do it that I am unaware of as opposed to there simply not being a way to do it.

If I have a subclip in a bin sometimes I need to locate the source media on the HDD that it lives on. If you right click on the subclip and select "reveal file" it will give you a error saying that it can't reveal a subclip.

I find this very frusterating and can't understand why the program can't give me the info I want quickly and easily like it does for a master clip. Obviously Avid knows where the source media is for that subclip or it would be "media offline" so why can't it tell me where it is located. 

I would very much appreciate it if anyone could teach me a way of quickly and easily finding out where source media is located for a subclip.

Thanks in advance!

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:10 PM In reply to

Re: Locating Source Media for a Subclip

Well if media tool is open you can use show media relatives to highlight the master clip in the media tool but media tool won't let you reveal a file from a clip so you end up having to drag the clip out to a bin.

I'm sure somebody must have a neater solution.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:47 PM In reply to

I'd try match framing with the subclip in the source monitor to bring up the master clip the subclip came from, and then try reveal file.  I'm not sure that'd work, but it's worth a shot.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:57 PM In reply to

Hi.

Something to remember Ryguy:

Subclips do not directly reference the original media. Subclips remain linked to the master

clips from which they are created, and the master clips, in turn, reference the captured media

files located on your media drives. As a result, none of the original footage is lost.

CV

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Mon, Jun 23 2014 8:15 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Sure I understand. but Avid still knows that "path" for lack of a better word that the subclip took to get there and therefore should be able to look back and see the "path" and show it to me.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller