Latest post Thu, Jul 24 2014 2:00 PM by swati.filmmaker. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 16 2014 9:11 PM

Avid- Resolve RoundTrip & Avid Online

Hi All,

I just finished the offline-edit of my first project within Avid. I need to start working with a Colorist soon. So, I am trying to understand the Avid-Resolve Round trip process and currently doing tests with the Colorist to make sure we get it right.

I had edited the project on Avid DNxHD1745X files and those are the files I would finish on. The colorist asked me to duplicate my sequence and take out all titles / FX etc from this new sequence along with moving everything to one video track. Then, export .AAF and .MXF Files for him. I  did all this and chose Export as AAF, Consolidate Media option with 96 frame handles added. This generated ONE .AAF file and several small .MXF files, appropriate to the length of clip used in the sequence. The colorist could successfuly import the .AAF and .MXF files in Resolve and play with them.

My question is, what happens next:

a. Should the Colorist send me back  color-coorected .MOV files or .MXF files ? He thinks .MOV, I think he should send me .MXF files, so I can simply re-link the MXF files back to the duplicated sequence. I could be wrong but the Colorist doesnt  have any experience with Avid either, so I want to know the right way to go about this.

b. Would I need to Import the .AAF file he sends me back at all? Or could I just use the duplicate sequence I had created in Avid before I exprted the .AAF, to re-link the MXF files again? If all the information is in the .MXF files then I can simply hide the original .MXFs and put the color-corrrected .MXFs in their place and re-open Avid. Would this work?

c. Here is my biggest confusion- Even if following the first two steps gave me a correctly linked color-corrected sequence, how would I add my titles, fade-in/outs, and other FX back onto this duplicate sequence. I still have that informaton but in a different sequence, which is NOT color-corrected and is linked to a different set of MXF files altogether (full-length MXF files, as opposed to the new MXF files created by the AAF export process). So, how do I merge the old sequence with all the titles and Avid effects, with the duplicated color-corrected seqeunce?

I appreciate the advice very much

Thanks

Swati

• Mon, Jun 16 2014 10:56 PM In reply to

Re: Avid- Resolve RoundTrip & Avid Online

My suggestion, assuming the Colourist is using Resolve 9 or 10, would be to have the colourist use Resolves round trip to Avid option when rendering his finished timeline (setting the DNxHD resolution to 175x).  and creating an output folder with a simple number for the name.  
    You can then drag this folder into an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\  folder on one of your media drives. Avid will index the folder and opening the accompaning aaf in a new bin will popultae it with the corrected clips. The bin will also have an Avid timeline that Resolve created with the media.

• Tue, Jun 17 2014 3:28 AM In reply to

For an MXF media file roundtrip: Why not keep your original sequence? You can consolidate that sequence  by selecting the sequence, going to the clip menu and choosing consolidate. This way you have a sequence with the proper handles, and that will be your relink master with all of your titles, effect templates and what not. This can be used to relink to the new Resolve color-baked-in delivered mxf media files.

Make a duplicate sequence for Resolve and export an AAF of that sequence. I would have the Resolve deliver (render) individual mxf files.

The only video file type that I am aware of that the Avid can read embedded "Tape" name metadata from, is an MXF file. A QuickTIme Movie  .mov file as far as I know, the Avid does not read embedded "Tape" name metadata.

For Avid delivered MXF media files for Resolve I would make sure and have a "reel name" configuration using "Embedding in source clip file" allowing proper metadata matching when rendering out individual mxf media files from Resolve.

in theory as of Avid version 6.5 and Resolve version 9-10 for MXF roundtrips almost by default everything can relink to an Avid online sequence. The Avid user can export an AAF sequence.  In Resolve you would set-up the "Reel Name" to match the "embedding in source clips" and then import the AAF in the Resolve "Edit Page". In Resolve color the clips and deliver "individual source clips" mxf files making sure to choose the proper handle length and activate "Render unique filenames" in the Resolve "Render Settings". Render to an Avid activated folder or place the Resolve rendered mxf media in an Avid activated folder. In an Avid Bin Import the "msmMMOB.mdb" that lives in the Avid activated folder with the Resolve delivered individual mxf media files. All the master clips then appear in the Avid bin. I would select the sequence and the Resolve essence master clips at the same time and go to the clip menu and choose "Relink...".

The "Relink" window appears:

Activate - Selected items in ALL open bins

Put a check mark by the words "Allow relinking to offline items"

3 pieces of metadata is all that it takes to link Avid sequence metadata to Resolve essence / master clips:

start timecode

duration - thus, you get end timecode

and a custom column or a native column

if your resolve delivered master clips have all 3 of these as a metadata match to the original master clips that make up the sequence then the Avid can relink to new media from resolve to your original sequence.

This might be helpful - here is an article I wrote about Avid / Resolve MXF online conforms:

http://library.creativecow.net/freeman_scott/AVID-Framerate-Metadata/1

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:51 PM In reply to

Hi Scott, 

I followed your instructions step-by-step and went back and forth between the Avid and DaVinci Resolve Lite, both installed on my computer. You are spot-on. Everything worked beatuifully, its all linked, my internal test is successful. I just need to send instructions to the Colorist, to make sure he is on the same page. Thanks so much for such clear instructions. 

Swati

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:57 AM In reply to

thank you so much for checking out the article.

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 2:00 PM In reply to

Hi Scott, 

See Swati's topic related to Protools here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/128913.aspx

Thanks a lot
    Swati 

[Moderator note: topic duplicated in its own topic as above so deleted from here]

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller