Latest post Wed, May 14 2014 1:46 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 9 2014 8:55 PM

Conform Avid DNxHD36 to DNxHD175

I shot footage on RED EPIC and my DIT guy transcoded the R3D files to Avid DNxHD36 using Da Vinci Resolve (with some color-correction in the trans-coded files). I used these DNxHD36 files to create the offline Edit on my Windows PC Avid 6.0.1. I have finished the edit now and have several sequences ready to be exported (+ some have VFX needs).  In order to help me out, my DIT guy color-corrected the R3D files once more and transcoded them to Avid DNxHD175. So, now I have a whole new set of color-corrected, transcoded MXF files. I want to be able to replace/ relink/swap my DNxHD36 clips with the new DNxHD175 clips (preferably only for the clips that I used in the final sequences). My original DNxHD36 clips are located under "C:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\", where as my new DNxHD175 clips are located under an external drive "K:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\". I am able to use the Media Tool to point to the K: drive and see the DNx175 clips. 

But, I cant seem to figure out how to re-link my sequences to the NEW MXF files. I tried to relink the clips in one test sequence by deleting the reference DNx36 clips from its bin, and using the re-link option to point it to the new MXF DNx175 clips, but the media stayed offline.  What is the best way of doing this? I am worried that I would mess up my file links and lose my edits. 

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, May 9 2014 9:46 PM In reply to

Re: Conform Avid DNxHD36 to DNxHD175

In theory if the new MXF files have exactly the same metadata as the original one. Just hidding the DNX36 files should cause the sequences to link to the DNX175 media. But the relink command should do that as well.

If the sequence won't link then it's possible the new MXF media isn't exactly right.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, May 9 2014 10:03 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

Pat Horridge:

In theory if the new MXF files have exactly the same metadata as the original one. Just hidding the DNX36 files should cause the sequences to link to the DNX175 media. But the relink command should do that as well.

If the sequence won't link then it's possible the new MXF media isn't exactly right.

Two things to check for are matching timecode and reel name. I've has success relinking by manually changing the reel name to match up, when there was no reel name to start with.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Fri, May 9 2014 10:10 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,260

If the metadata of the 175 has changed then you can try and add tape numbers to the clips of 36 and 175 files that match, which then will help you with relink using the tape option.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 14 2014 12:47 AM In reply to

Thanks to all. Changing the Tape Name works! 

I was doing some other things incorrectly as well as I had insufficient understanding of how Avid Databases work inside the MXF Folders. But, now I understand, and everything seems to be working. 

Yes

Swati

• Wed, May 14 2014 1:46 AM In reply to

Try this: http://blog.dvfanatics.com/2014/01/davinci-resolve-round-trip-avid.html

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller