Latest post Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:20 PM by rvcinematography. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:30 AM

Manually link to different files in Composer 7

I would like to know if there is anyway to manually change to a different audio or video track in Composer 7? 

I have some audio in a timeline that I would like to direct to a different audio file. 

For example, I have an audio file in the project and in a timeline called 1001.wav....this wav file would corrispond to 1001.wav in the finder on the hard drive or a MXF file if it has been imported. But, I would like it to corrispond to file 1403.wav and keep the same in and out points in the timeline. I realize I could just import file 1403.wav and make the same in and out points as 1001.wav had, then replace it in the timeline where 1001.wav is, but if I have hundreds of files, this would take forever. 

This process is easy to do in Premiere, so I imagine it is easy in Composer as well, I just can't figure out how to do it and can't find a similar question on the forums. 

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: Manually link to different files in Composer 7

If you imported you can just batch import but at the import screen redirect the files to their new file location/name

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:04 PM In reply to

• Josh Short
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 13 2011
    • Washington, DC / Northern Virginia
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Highlight 1001.wav in the bin, hit delete key, delete just the media (not the master clip!). Then right-click clip icon and select Batch Import... Click Offline only or All clips (doesn't matter because only that one should be highlighted). Click on the filename/file location in the list. Then click Set File Location... Then find your 1403.wav clip. Then click Import.

Avid might freak out a bit though if it is a different length. This method is great if you have graphic imports like PSDs that you update in Photoshop of After Effects and want to update in the timeline without having to re-import the new one and manually replace them. It's no different with music except like I said, Avid might not like it being a different length. Let us know if it works for you!

MC 8.4.2, MacBook Pro with Retina, Thunderbolt display attached, Os X 10.10.1, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, QT 10.2, Media Storage - USB3.0 drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:20 PM In reply to

Thank you Josh and Pat for the excellent answers. That is what I needed to know!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller