Latest post Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:50 AM by Tolis Apostolidis. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 12 2014 4:04 AM

Proper project set up for DSLR footage in Composer for delivery to Pro Tools

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

*Noobish question

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to properly set up a project with DSLR footage in Composer 7 for mixing and post work.

Here is the background

-We shot on mostly a variety of DSLRS with external audio.

-I imported then transcoded all of the DSLR video to DNxHD 45 for the offiline(as it is easier to edit than H.264)

-When I did a test to online the video would relink fine, but the audio would have issues. Some files 35% relinked to the wrong audio file, 40% relinked properly, and 25% didn’t link to any file.

I thought the audio was having problems relinking because I have a lot of repetitious audio file names that start with 1001.wav, 1002, wav etc. But, when the audio relinked improperly, it wouldn’t just relink to another 1001.wav, it would incorrectly link to a completely different audio file like 1063.wav or something. Also, changing the file names didn’t seem to help in my relinking tests.

-So, as I was having relink problems and was on a time crunch, I decided to just AMA link to the wav files rather than transcode them.

-I have now synced all of the audio, and have done a bit of sub-clipping, but have not started the main editing yet.

So, my main questions considering everything above is:

1.Will it cause problems having the audio AMA linked and should I find a way to transcode all of the audio when it comes time for the online and/or mixing work? (i.e. will the exported .aaf remember the ama linked files when it taken into protools?)

2. Will it be acceptable to deliver the material to a post house for audio finishing work (mixing, ADR, etc) if the files are only AMA linked instead of transcoded?

3.If it is strongly encouraged that I transcode the audio so everything is in the media files bin, is there a better way to relink the audio so that is more accurate? Anyway to manually relink?

-transcoding all of the audio would be a lot more work for me as I would have to replace all of the audio files that are currently synced with the footage , and in sciptsync etc. But, I can do the extra work if it will be worth it in the end.

Any help on these questions will be immensely appreciated. 

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sun, Apr 13 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Proper project set up for DSLR footage in Composer for delivery to Pro Tools

Simple answer: don't use AMA for audio files.  Import audio files so they become Avid media and then your syncing and AAF exporting will all work as expected.  

If you want to try to save some effort, transcode any audio files that successfully relink as that will get you the same result (there's no need to later relink back to the original audio files).  If you give a post house AMA linked audio you're likely to discover that nobody ever does that.  AMA doesn't extend to other platforms (even if Avid ownes them).

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:35 AM In reply to

Re: Proper project set up for DSLR footage in Composer for delivery to Pro Tools

Thank you for the response. Please explain "there's no need to later relink back to the original audio files"...

So, there won't be any detrograde to the audio quality by doing all of the post work using the MXF files instead of the wav files? Is there no need to online again to any of the original wav files if I am having trouble relinking. Is it common practice for post houses to mix using the MXF files, or does everyone online back to the wav files before they give it to them. 

Thanks again for you help in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:56 AM In reply to

I would AMA link and transcode as you have done but the transcoded Audio is good to use as finished audio.

So before you relink the final sequence back to the original sources. sdo anaudio mixdown as a guide. Do a video mixdwon as a guie. Seperate off the audio tracks and just leave the guide. Relink the video and check it against the guide. Transcode to finishing quality then re-attach the audio tracks.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:50 AM In reply to

Hello,

You shouldn't AMA link the audio, as you may have also problems with exporting an AAF for Pro Tools etc. The sound quality of the imported files is the same as the original files.

And there's also no need to transcode the h264 files again for online. I've found a quick turnaround, where you open the bins with the AMA clips, select the ones you've used and then relink your sequence, using "relink to selected items on open bins".

This way you'll have a new sequence with the AMA linked h264 clips for exporting and the transcoded MXF audio.

Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M OS X 10.10.3 Dell U2713HM Display M-Audio BX5 Wacom Intros... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller