Latest post Tue, Apr 1 2014 1:19 PM by luca.mg. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:59 AM

HIgh resolution Avid workflows

Had an email from Avid yesterday pointing me to a high resolution workflow white paper:

http://forms.avid.com/forms/4KWhitepaper?elq_mid=9022&elq_cid=4748088

I'd really like to see what was quoted atr the end of the paper...

"Future versions of Media Composer will be resolution independent, supporting more than just large rasters like 4K, but also color and frame rates across the entire postproduction pipeline. At the same time, additional efficiencies can be gained from continuing to automate processes and move them to the background where feasible (e.g. automatically setting image framing using camera metadata as set by the DP on location). Throughout all of this, Avid will openly work with its partners to deliver the best solutions possible to our mutual customers with the goal of not constraining any of the efficient processes already in place when working with these challenging new formats. "

Shame to see no Avid offering in the list of high resolution finishing systems (No DS now)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:34 AM In reply to

Re: HIgh resolution Avid workflows

For me a much bigger shame that there is no innovative thinking in this paper. My first reaction reading it was to think of a 60's hit from the Kinks ... Dedicated followers of fashion. Sad 

• Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:06 AM In reply to

• Pavel Sedlak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 14 2009
    • Prague, Czech Republic
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

I would like to hear about the 4K downconvert with FrameFlex function with the high quality option of filtering (Lanzos3 filter, etc.) for the best quality in HD. This filtering works with Avid Nitris HW (when HD is downconverted to SD resolution), but the filtering doesn't work in case of the sw DC in an AVID MC/Symphony project.

In this White Paper is no option for this type of filtering at figure of the FrameFlex Effect Editor.

at home - Asus N55S, WIN7, CPU Intel i7, GeForce GT555M (Symphony 6.5) at work - HP Z800 (AvidMC and AvidDS), [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:45 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

Agreed.

Killing DS was a huge mistake.  Avid is now a follower (even to a $299 software) versus a leader in many respects.  Hey, but we are getting Avid Everywhere!

Sad

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Apr 1 2014 5:15 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Apr 1 2014 8:16 AM In reply to

Sadly Frameflex isn't the answer to higher than HD workflows.

It is great that it allows for greater than HD sources but only if you stay with AMA linking till you output and for many projects AMA management isn't robust enough yet.

We need the ability to make greater than HD Avid media, that's the key. Even if MC was still limited to HD output the ability to make 2K or 4K DNX and JPEG2K media would be a massive step forward.

Till then the we can hope the integration with Resolve and similar improves and develops so those that used to go to DS have a viable workflow for HD finishing.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:07 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Pat, while I do agree with You I'd like to point out that today's frame size requirements are not limited to broadcast or theatrical: I happen to cut stuff for projection with Pandora/Watchout and the like, frame sizes are huge, non conventional and mostly bizarre to say the least, there's also the web, requiring custom frame sizes every now and then, not to mention led displays, and various forms of video installation now widespread; I'm working at a 9900 x 2560 projection at the moment, and MC doesn't ease my workflow. We're dreaming of something that it's not a dream outside of Avidland, resolution indipendence and custom canvas size are a reality on competing NLEs, and so have been for quite some time now, kind of depressing... To fight depression let's join the ACA, have parties in Vegas, and dance with Nile Rodgers, this is the best Avid can come out instead of delivering what the customers have been asking for for years now. Perhaps after dancing the ACA aristocrats will discover something that we all already know: Avid has to deliver resolution indipendence, among many other things, what a waste of time and resources! TBC?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:52 AM In reply to

I guess we all come with our own views and wants. But for me resolution independence will come at a cost as it has with other NLEs that have it and that cost will likely deminish the robust TV workflows we've enjoyed for so long.

Is there a market for MC as a TV and film tool only? I have no idea but for me TV raster support with 2K (and possibly even 4K) support is all I want or need.

-

Filed under:
  • Tue, Apr 1 2014 11:07 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

We need the ability to make greater than HD Avid media, that's the key. Even if MC was still limited to HD output the ability to make 2K or 4K DNX and JPEG2K media would be a massive step forward.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Jpeg2K and ProRes already support 4K and beyond.  I'd reckon it's not that much of a stretch to allow these resolutions to be consolidated as MXF media.  That would be huge.  Huge.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Tue, Apr 1 2014 1:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Pat Horridge:

I guess we all come with our own views and wants....

The matter is not what I or You or anyone else want, what is at stake here is the survival of MC, the tool has to be flexible enough to meet different needs in order to own a significant share of the market, or it will end up like DS. I used to be a broadcast only kind of guy, now I engage in many different areas, it would be nice being able to work with the same NLE both editing a feature or a commercial, it's only editing after all, and I do not see why a top of the line editing software should be fit for TV and not for corporate, it's not like mixing apples and oranges.

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller