Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 2:30 PM by cazzimir. 191 replies.
Page 1 of 13 (192 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:47 PM

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York
    • Posts 680
    • Points 8,010

Let's Make the Next MediaMover or MDV

Hello Everyone,

I think native, flexible media management is lacking in Avid. "Have you tried Media Tool?", you might ask. Here's my problem with Media Tool - it's not easy to use. For example:

1. An Assistant Editor finishes logging, then wants to transfer the project to an Editor. He'll bundle up the assets in one folder, grab the Avid project folder, and send them over to the Editor. Might be over the network (peer-to-peer) or through sneaker net.

2. An Editor finishes his project, and wants to do a backup. Same as before - he'll bundle up the assets, grab the Avid project, and store them on backup drives.

3. We produce events that require last-minute changes. Plus, there's on-location editing that requires gathering assets from multiple users. So bundling all the assets you need before traveling is critical. Hotel networks aren't built for large file transfers.

For years, the alternatives were MediaMover and MDV. MediaMover can do all the above, but MDV is the best I've ever used. It's simple, easy, and fast.

Here's the problem with MDV. (Problems, really.)

1. It's Windows only. There are ways of making it work in OS X, but you hate them all. How do I know? Because it keeps coming up.
    2. It has limitations in Wine - neither bin sifting nor folder scanning works.
    3. It's abandoned.

So what would it take to create a native OS X media management tool?

First, we need to know what we're working with, the data. Are there available file specs on:

1. Media Stream Managers (MSM's)
    2. Projects
    3. Bins
    4. Metadata layout on individual MXF's

Is it just a matter of asking someone from Avid HQ? Do you know anybody?

It's clear we need something. But everyone's busy, you know... editing. Plus you're thinking, "What can I do? I'm not a programmer!" Well, I'm an anomaly. I do what you do, but I also have some development/IT chops. They just need some refreshing. And this project would be worth refreshing them.

So what do you think? Is it worth making the next MDV? Are there any others like me who would be interested in contributing? Do you have any contacts that could help point me in a direction?

Thanks!

ijterronez.com | Demo ReelTwitter | Instagram | Vimeo

NY-based. Available for editing and post-production workflow consultation - https://www.ijterronez.com/contact/

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:34 PM In reply to

• d stuckey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Alexandria, Indiana
    • Posts 58
    • Points 785

Re: Let's Make the Next MediaMover or MDV

Agreed.

Media Composer 8.1 Symphony Option Nitris DX Mac Pro Quad-Core 2.93 OS 10.9.5 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Sonnet Fusion DX800 24TB Raid 5- ATTO ExpressSAS... [view my complete system specs]

Doug Stuckey Gaither Studios Alexandria, Indiana

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:44 PM In reply to

All of that functionality, IMO, should be rolled into MC. It has been too long now.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 4:12 PM In reply to

Yes media management is embarrasing and the media tool has so many limitations I dread having to use it when teaching. On the PC side we can show MDV and how that fills some holes but onthe Mac side it's not good.

What I don't get is that's it's not even hard code to create. We're talking simple media management tools like copy move etc.

And while we're at it lets have the media location in bins show more than just the drive. Lets have the actual folder listed!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 4:31 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,505

I think, don't quote me on this, the reason MDV was PC-only is because the media database is in Microsoft Access format. Microsoft includes Access libraries in Windows. So, a Windows program can read the mdb file pretty easily. But, Microsoft doesn't provide equivalint libraries to Apple for inclusion in OS X. Hence, on the Mac a program would have to license ($$) libraries for reading the mdb file.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 10 2014 4:43 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

On MacBooks it´s rather easy though as you usually store your media on external drives.

Macdrive, I use the Pro version, and MDV on PC and you can manage that external drive using MDV although it´s Mac formatted.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:26 PM In reply to

If you ask me what Avid should do is take a good look at it's transfer manager, which is free in combination with MC (but little people use it), MDV and Avid's latest attempts to implement background transcoding within MC...

The functionalities these bring have been asking for integration into a single media management, transcoding, rewrapping, media moving interface for years. And the company that has developed mediamanager (DMS) and now interplay with all its options must know how to do that and make it a key quality argument for people to choose MC.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:03 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 680
    • Points 8,010

@Job ter burg: I was explaining this to a developer buddy of mine, and first thing he said was, "Sounds like it should be built in to the application."

@Pat Horridge: so you're saying you show students how to use Media Tool and then hop to MDV?

@ck123: first thing I thought was. "MDB... this has to be Access." I tried importing it into LibreOffice Base, then Calc, one day, but ran out of time.

That friend of mine thought the same thing. So we started looking at it in a hex editor. You can see the MXF references and their associated project names in plain text. He said the periods indicate a flat, common-delimited file. I may be oversimplifying, but in theory, Windows vs. Mac isn't the issue. If it's a database, we just have to figure out what the fields are and how it stores asset info.

@Jeroen van Eekeres: I saw your post on Transfer Manager, and it makes sense. But it sounds like that's intended for Avid shared storage environments or as a stem for another media playback product, like GrassValley's stuff. I just want a better MDV native to OS X.

Sooo... are any Avid-ians reading this? Can you point a guy to the file specs?

NY-based. Available for editing and post-production workflow consultation - https://www.ijterronez.com/contact/

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:42 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Add me. I'm a user of Media Mover. Happy with it. But it or something simple like it should be bundled with Avid.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 12:44 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Count me in - AVID Media Management/Project Management/Archiving is a sad state of affairs.

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:07 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,315
    • Points 17,010

This is free, and used to work really well. It's also abandoned, so I don't know if it still works or not; haven't had to use it in a year or so.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/mc/

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.12.2, MC 8.8.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:14 AM In reply to

We use Automatic Duck Media Copy every day to prep for LTO backup ...

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia v331.65, 2TB Boot,... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:46 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,315
    • Points 17,010

The cool thing about Media Copy is that you can move sequence, bins, or whole projects. It's pretty slick.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.12.2, MC 8.8.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 11 2014 4:13 AM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

I had errors when trying Media Copy. I believe Wes is no longer updating is autoduck apps.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:24 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 680
    • Points 8,010

@RLR: If you're happy with Media Copy, that's cool! We tried it when we were in Mountain Lion. It proved unreliable and crash-prone.

Before completely going over to OS X, we had one WinXP station dedicated for MDV. That version – with MSM, bin, and media folder scanning – was the bee's knees. Simple, stable, fast. Even the 'Feb 10 2007' version under Wine is a better than Media Copy.

Here's the only background content I could find on MSM's:

1. A discussion on the purpose of the .pmr and .mdb database files used by Avid products to track media assets.
    2. Preparing Op Atom MXF Media Files For Use in Avid Editing Workflows (Do a Find for Avid Media File and storage Folder Formats)
    3. This excellent post from Wolfcrow's blog had a little blip under How to Import video Into Media Composer.

Here's what I know so far:

PMR = Persistent Media Record

MDB = Media Database

PMR's tell MC what media's online. Media Database has all the other information about your assets (AKA Media Objects or MOB's). So if you can cross-reference the two and build file paths, you copy or move whatever, wherever. (Makes sense to me, anyway.)

Now, how do you read a PMR or MDB...?

@ck123: I don't the MDB's an Access database. Could possibly be a pre-97 Access format, but I don't know. Tried opening it with this great helper app - MDB/ACCDB Viewer for Mac. No dice.

Page 1 of 13 (192 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller