Latest post Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:47 AM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 12:06 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

'Cinema Tools'-style Speed Conversion Functionality To Fix Varying FPS Sources

Sometimes, editors need to incorporate 24fps footage in a 25fps Avid sequence.  Avid can interpolate frames to make 24fps footage play at 25fps, however there are ghosting issues with this approach and Avid's fluid motion technology often creates artifacts.  Using FCP's Cinema Tools program to speed convert source clips to 25fps preserves the integrity of the images and is a third party software reccomended as a workaround by moderators on these forums.  Avid should have a similar technology for properly incorporating varrying speed footage.  Frame interpolation is just not good enough.  It would also be good to have tools to automatically fix the pitch of the audio speed changes that also occur, to make them sound correct.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 2:55 AM In reply to

Re: 'Cinema Tools'-style Speed Conversion Functionality To Fix Varying FPS Sources

The technology is already there.

"Promote" the Motion Effect and adjust the settings accordingly.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 5:11 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Re: 'Cinema Tools'-style Speed Conversion Functionality To Fix Varying FPS Sources

Dom Q. Silverio:

The technology is already there.

"Promote" the Motion Effect and adjust the settings accordingly.

Hi, Dom.  Unless I'm missing something, it appears as though you can only produce interpolated frames using this method. Several key admins on this site recommend the cinema tools worklow to ensure your footage is actually running at true 25fps.  I can't get the footage to look right using the interpolated frames (controlled via the motion editor).

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 7:19 AM In reply to

I'm teaching an editor today in a one to one class and one of the topics they've raised is bringing in hi spped footage to use in slowmo mode.

So I'm now faced with having to show console commands to attempt either an AMA link or import ignoring frame rate. Or modifying the frame rate exernally first (cinema-tools style) which won't be easy as it's MXF media.

This will be another example of making something editors think should be simple be exposed as less than straightforward.

All we need is an option to force frame for frame handling or better still an option to override the source frame rate on ingest so you can force MC to handle the ingest in a certain way. And that option not be a console command. And that it works.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 7:34 AM In reply to

S.Clements:

, it appears as though you can only produce interpolated frames using this method. 

no, if you change the motion adapter to 100%, it will play frame-by-frame, without blending or interpolation.

Here's a whitepaper on 24<->25 conversions http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/TVScenes_25_24.pdf.

An easier method to go about this has been on my list for quite a while. Premiere has an 'Interpret As' function tbat lets you do stuff like this inside the editor.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:47 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

"Interpret As..." is a feature I would kill for.  I've been used to it in AE for years and have always missed it in MC.  And while I haven't used it in Premiere, in AE you can save your current interpretation and load it on mutliple clips.  That would be a handy feature too.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller