Latest post Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:51 PM by Alexandru Radu. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:57 PM

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

MC7: Canon h264 > DNxHD offline then online AMA workflow (done to death) help?

I apologize for bringing this up again, first of all.  I have been doing searches on the boards here, and finding a billion different posts that talk about this process, but from various years and versions of MC.  I haven't found a definitive workflow using Avid Media Composer 7.0.x which, to my understanding, has radically improved the functionality and stability of AMA.  So.  Here's how it goes:

I've got a project shot entirely on some sort of Canon DSLR (Footage looks more like 5D than 7D, but that's not terribly important), at 1080p 23.98fps.  

What I want to do is:

1) Get the stuff into MC7 via AMA

2) Transcode the stuff into something that edits a little easier than h264

3) When my edit is finished, rez up (either relink to original h264 or relink to some upper DNxHD rez from the h264)

BONUS) Export an AAF or something for color correct in DaVinci or SpeedGrade or something?

BONUS2) Bring the color correct back into MC7 for final output?

I'd like to know the actual process for doing this.  I've had bad luck experimenting with the dynamic folders and such (though I'd love to learn that process for other projects).  Is there just a simple step by step for how to do this?  

Seriously I feel a little sad asking, but, you know, I had to use FCP for a couple years in there, and when I came back to Avid we were in a tapeless world and I was suddenly some kinda media-managing n00b instead of the tape-slinging ninja I once was.  Help?  

Win7 x64 Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5 GHz 32 GB RAM MC 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 2:57 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,403
    • Points 15,450

Re: MC7: Canon h264 > DNxHD offline then online AMA workflow (done to death) help?

AVID MC2018.12.1 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 30 2014 1:54 PM In reply to

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

Re: MC7: Canon h264 > DNxHD offline then online AMA workflow (done to death) help?

I am interested in that.  

Although, an early step in that tutorial goes against things I've heard all over.  Which is: "do not add tape names to file-based media."  That makes me a bit wary.

Still, the bigger, more pressing questions I have are about getting the footage into MC7 and transcoded in the first place.  And particularly, how to link back to the original media after I've made a cut with my offline rez transcodes.

Win7 x64 Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5 GHz 32 GB RAM MC 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:08 PM In reply to

• yobro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 6 2010
    • Posts 12
    • Points 145

Don't want to seem like throwing another link at this but this might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFRB7gc-h0

I'm still trying to actually understand this process as well. Finding that one workflow hasnt been so simple..? 

Richard

• Sat, Mar 1 2014 9:37 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

chillyche:

I am interested in that.  

Although, an early step in that tutorial goes against things I've heard all over.  Which is: "do not add tape names to file-based media."  That makes me a bit wary.

Still, the bigger, more pressing questions I have are about getting the footage into MC7 and transcoded in the first place.  And particularly, how to link back to the original media after I've made a cut with my offline rez transcodes.

I would really look at the amount of camera original you will have.  Then look at how much storage would be required to just transcode it once to a reasonable DNx codec.  And then never go back.  H.264 is so highly compressed that I have seen little value in using the highest quality DNx in a situation like this.  And I say this as an editor that always fought for uncompressed only!!  I have done many tests in the last few years and have slowly come around to the workflow of least pain.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:03 PM In reply to

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

jef:
    just transcode it once to a reasonable DNx codec.  And then never go back.  H.264 is so highly compressed that I have seen little value in using the highest quality DNx in a situation like this.  And I say this as an editor that always fought for uncompressed only!!

Okay.  You're scaring me, but also making me excited.  Every instinct I have for post says, "whaaaa?  don't go back to my original files?  Master with a transcode?  Whaaa?"  But every experience I have with h.264 says, "get away from H.264 as FAST AS POSSIBLE!"  So....

With this workflow in mind, does it make sense to:

IMPORT via AMA LINK my H.264 footage.

TRANSCODE AMA LINKED H.264 footage to DNxHD 175 (or, if I feel defensive of storage, maybe 115, since it's just dslr footage)

Now my DNxHD files become my master clips, and I can just forget the H.64 forever?  No reason to go back to the h.264 for grading in another package or anything?

So, that raises my new questions.  The first of which is, let's say I gotta take my project on the road, and I don't want to cart around all that DNxHD 175, so I' wanna make an offline DNxHD 36 transcode...

I've seen a lot of stuff about, "transcode your offline onto a different drive from your online, then unmount the online drive, and relink your master clips to the offline media.  when you're ready to go back to online media, unmount the offline drive and remount the online drive, and relink again."  Is that kinda the way this works?  I feel like I should know how to do this, but I was out of the Media Composer game during the great migration away from tape-based media to file-based media, and when I got back, the whole decompose/consolidate/up-rez process was less straight-forward to me.  

The second new question is: Inevitably I will probably have to send a sequence to somebody using premiere or FCP7, or maybe to a grading package like DaVinci or SpeedGrade.  I just send 'em an AAF?  If they don't have the DNxHD footage, but instead have the original H.264 stuff... would THAT relink?  Maybe?

• Thu, Apr 3 2014 1:27 PM In reply to

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

Any answers to those latest questions?

• Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:49 PM In reply to

Hi there,

I just found an option for your workflow in Avid MC 7.0.4 that workes very nice.

1. AMA import all the H264 clips

2. Transcode them to DNxHD32 - move them in a different bin

3. Edit with the DNxHD footage

4. Close all the DNxHD bins and open the AMA bins and select all the ama clips in all the bins.

5. Relink your sequence with the option Selected items in ALL open bins on - this will relink the DNxHD sequence to the original AMA files. Retranscode the AMA sequence to a high res DNxHD and go to DaVinci and back with AAF.

Tell me if it works for you as well.

Cheers,

Alexandru

Mac Pro 5.1 - Avid Media Composer 8.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:53 PM In reply to

Based on the post before (and I'd suggest you call iot AMA link rather than AMA import...)

You can do an AAF of the AMA linked sequence to send to resolve and then link to the originakl sources at greater than HD quality for a greater than HD delivery. You can't go back to MC of course as you are then back in HD land.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:51 PM In reply to

Yes, you are right there is no import with AMA. You just link the files. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your input. It is a great way to finish a higher than HD project. I never had to do this, but now I know how.

Cheers.

Mac Pro 5.1 - Avid Media Composer 8.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller