Latest post Sat, Jan 25 2014 11:12 PM by smyers63. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:10 PM

Running Avid MC on my desktop

I am in a bit of a pickle here, it seems that I am on the edge of being able to run MC. I have done lots of research, but none of my questions have been given definite answers.  So here are my questions regarding Avid's Media Composer:

I have a GTX 770 2gb, has anyone ever run Media Composer 7 with a 770 before?

On the system requirements, it says you need 128gb ssd internal drive.  Mine is 120gb... Do I really need ALL that space?  How much space does MC take up?

I also use Home Premium windows 7 64 bit.  Will that cause a lot of problems?  Has anyone run MC on Home Premium?

Those are my questions, I would really love to buy Avid, I feel that will give me a huge advantage in the filmmaking industry, I don't want to resort to adobe premiere if I don't have to.  I just don't want to buy Avid and have it not work without any chance of fixing it.

• Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:29 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Running Avid MC on my desktop

I run MC7 on W7 Home Premium.  One system has a GT430 and one has a GT310M.  I have no complaints about how it works.  MC takes up around 3-4GB on the system drive I'd say before getting into media storage requirements.

Here's how you can answer your questions pretty easily: download and run the MC7 trial.  See how it goes.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:31 PM In reply to

Hi,

You could always download the trial version and see if it works on your machine.  That way, you'll know for sure:

http://www.avid.com/EN/support/downloads/media-composer-trial

As for the rest of it, my guess (and it is a guess) is your video card is probably ok, and your hard drive is probably ok, and the home version of Windows will probably work, too.  There are things you can adjust on the pro versions of Windows that you can't on the home versions, and if you need to adjust them that will be a problem, but I ran MC on XP Home for years without running into any issues.

But download the trial and see how it goes.

Carl

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:42 PM In reply to

Wow, I feel so silly not thinking about the trial.  Thank you guys so much, I will definitely try it out. 

• Sat, Jan 25 2014 11:12 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Don't feel silly.  A lot of people don't think of it or just don't know it's available.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller