Latest post Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:02 PM by Pat Horridge. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 21 2014 7:55 PM

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

AMA linked clips turning into offline master clips

Using MC 7.0.3, OSX 10.8.5 on a MacPro.

After we close and reopen a project, we discover random clips changed from AMA linked to offline master files.

The linked clips will work fine as we edit, we'll close the project, return to it the next day and certain AMA files will now be offline with the master icon in place of the original AMA link icon. 

We've tried relinking in the suggested ways but with no success and a lot of frustration.

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 9:00 PM In reply to

Re: AMA linked clips turning into offline master clips

What kind of footage are you linking and from what kind of storage? I once had this happen with Pix240 footage that was shot as DNxHD. http://community.avid.com/forums/t/114135.aspx

btw, an offline AMA clip will not have a normal AMA icon because it only shows it that way (linked icon) when it is actually linked to something. So it makes perfect sense that it would look like a normal Master Clip icon.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 9:33 PM In reply to

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

Thanks for the reply and insight on the icons. 

Clips are all DNxHD.

Some recorded on a Samurai Blade at DNxHD145

Others 5DM3 movs transcoded via MPEG streamclip to DNxHD145.

Haven't had any problem with AMA in the past. 

Only with the upgrade to 7.0.3

• Tue, Aug 5 2014 3:26 AM In reply to

• John Durst
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • 48 W. 76th St, NY NY
    • Posts 57
    • Points 670

I have exactly the same problem.  What's happening, do you know?  

HP Elitebook 8760w Dreamcolor i7 QC 2.3 ghz 17 32 gb 750 GB Quadro 4000. Many external multiGB drives. Windows 7 Pro, MC 6.5.4 Pro Tools 12. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 6 2014 1:13 AM In reply to

JUST experienced this frustrating phenomenon today, whilst opening a project containing AMA-linked material. AMA clips had magically transformed into offline clips.  Really flummoxed me, as the icon showed as a standard clip - tried 'get info' but no use, as it couldn't see the original file on the network.

Made me crazy.  I re-imported for reals and threw it in that way. 

To quote Kevin K from long ago... "AMA is the devil"

LOVE AMA, but this is not good.

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.14.4 running MC 2018.12.3 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:05 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Try right clicking on the file and choosing "relink to AMA"

Relink problems normally occur because of 1 of 2 things:

1. The original media has been moved or deleted and AMA can't find it

2. The version of an AMA plug in has changed and it can no longer interpret the media correctly (don't get me started on what I think of this!)

For volume based AMA (Eg XDCam / P2 / AVCHD cams) then relinking to the volume usually brings all the clips back on line. For individually linked clips then...

For 1. usually my solution at the top of the post will work

For 2. you are better off reverting to the old version of Avid and the plug in, making sure the media is in the same place and consolidating/transcoding before upgrading. Nothing much seems to work.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Aug 6 2014 6:28 AM In reply to

Bill Nelson:

JUST experienced this frustrating phenomenon today, whilst opening a project containing AMA-linked material. AMA clips had magically transformed into offline clips.  Really flummoxed me, as the icon showed as a standard clip - tried 'get info' but no use, as it couldn't see the original file on the network.

Made me crazy.  I re-imported for reals and threw it in that way. 

To quote Kevin K from long ago... "AMA is the devil"

LOVE AMA, but this is not good.

Don't import. Re AMA link and Transcode.

AMA linked content is great but it's still not as robust as Avid Media so if you need to AMA link and transcode.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Aug 11 2014 4:21 PM In reply to

would LOVE to relink somehow. There's the rub. The AMA link dialog is greyed out for that clip.  I had to import the clips again

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.14.4 running MC 2018.12.3 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 11 2014 5:05 PM In reply to

• dnext
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 360

This may not be applicable in these or most cases but here's one thing we discovered regarding this in one particular situation.

We had a project where we had been AMA linking hundreds of clips from a multi-camera shoot using multiple Canon 5DM3s. The problem (and we are kicking ourselves on why we didn't notice this going in) was that some of the file numbers from different cameras overlapped. A file from Cam A on day 1 might be MVI_1923.mov and two days later an AMA link for a file from Cam C would have the same number. The scenes would AMA link fine at first. But with a reboot, the system somehow got confused about which clip was which and went offline. 

Again, we still had the problem we described at the top of this thread on some other clips. But also noticed (and fixed by renaming) this issue on others. 

• Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:02 PM In reply to

Non robust AMA formats, like5D and others, that have no UMIDs (64 byte unique id numbers) need to managed with care. Lots of posthouses pre re-name all their files to avoid this. Or AMA link and make finishing media and then make offline media from that and never go back to the camera sources.

multiple 5D clips with overlapping file names is a tapeless workflow 101 lesson.

On the re-linking yes the re-link option often isn't there but you can normally mass AMA link down through multiple folder levels into a dummy bin and bring whole batches of AMA clips back online. Re-AMA linking isn't making more media and is very fast.

It's not ideal but it is manageable. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller