Latest post Tue, Jan 14 2014 8:56 PM by camoscato. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 14 2014 6:56 PM

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 142
    • Points 1,925

Canon 5D Markiii without transcode ?

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Times; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

I will soon begin to edit a project with both C300 and 5D Mkiii footage.

My idea was to transcode all the Canon 5D footage to ProRes or DNxHD, and than AMA link to those QuickTime files.

But after a few test it seems to me that Avid handle pretty well the files natively through AMA link, without drop frame or color problem.

Could I just work with the original file? Will I encounter problem later on? (like mixed media with the Canon C300 MXF)

Thank you

Media Composer 2018.10 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 14 2014 7:25 PM In reply to

Re: Canon 5D Markiii without transcode ?

Yes, as long as your system can handle it, you can work with the AMA-linked 5d footage.

If you get deep into the project and find problems, you can always just transcode the footage to DNxHD (or whatever resolution you want).

JPBU:
    My idea was to transcode all the Canon 5D footage to ProRes or DNxHD, and than AMA link to those QuickTime files.

There's no need to transcode first and then AMA-link.  You can AMA-link the 5d original files and transcode them without any other steps.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jan 14 2014 7:25 PM In reply to

If you have a small amount of that footage, it'll handle it OK. If you have a lot...then it'll start to bog down the system. Best to transcode if you have a lot of footage.  One drawback to AMA is that you cannot export Same As Source QT files.

Might I ask why you are doing this as a two step process? Converting to ProRes or DNxHD, and THEN AMA linking in Avid? Why not AMA link in Avid, and then transcode?  One step.

• Tue, Jan 14 2014 8:47 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 142
    • Points 1,925

Thank you for your answers.

You are right, I might be better to transcode in AVID. The reason I was think of doing it this way is because in the past, the only DSLR edit i did was in FCP7, and everything was converter prior to import.

At the same time, in my experience Avid has never been fast at transcoding/exporting, might still be better to do it in a 3rd party app.

Media Composer 2018.10 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 14 2014 8:56 PM In reply to

Run a test.  Do the same clip in Avid and in a third-party app and see which one is faster, and then you'll know.

FWIW, in my experience, AMA link and transcode is reasonably fast - much faster than importing.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller