Latest post Wed, Jan 8 2014 5:14 PM by Marianna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 8 2014 1:54 AM

• topleft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 8 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Transferring between MC 6 & 7

Hi everyone,

I am a student and have recently started working with AVID. I am cutting a short film that I started on an owned copy of MC 6.5 in my school's editing suite. Since then I had (foolishly) downloaded the 30 day AVID MC 7 trial on my Mac at home, where I continued to edit the short. Since then I have had to transfer my project back to the 6.5 version of MC  and have been a lot of trouble doing so.

I have tried a few things, so sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but hopefully someone can help. One thing I just thought of was to create an EDL of my master sequence (which I have just done) and I was hoping I'd be able to rebuild the sequence in 6.5, since I still have access to all of my transcoded clips (just not the sequences). Can anybody tell me if this will work?

Another thought was to Consolidate my master sequence and open the 'Consolidated bin' in a new project in the 6.5 version, and re-transcode & link the footage. Would this be a possibility as well?

Someone please let me know if I am on the right track with either of these two routes, or if there is a better and/or easier way to accomplish this. Thanks!

P.S. I am not able to install a patch update on the school's computer with 6.5. In both cases I am working with Mac Pro's and 1 external drive for the project (everything is backed up elsewhere)

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 2:05 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,312
    • Points 40,085

Re: Transferring between MC 6 & 7

I am curious as to what problems you are having.

I am currently working on a project that was started over 6 years ago.  I am currently switching that porject between v 7.02 at home and 6.5.4 at work with no issues.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 2:39 AM In reply to

What version are the school on. To work with a project or bins from a MC 7 project they should be on 6.5.3 or better still on 6.5.4.

If they are not on either of those two then can you uninstall MC7 and Install 6.5.4.1 yourself? If so then open and save the project in there and then the project should work on any 6.5 version the school has.

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 3:03 PM In reply to

• topleft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 8 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I think the problem arises with the schools version of MC being only 6.5.0. I've asked our engineers about installing the patch update (to .5.3 pr .5.4) but from the sounds of it they are not able to do a patch update because of restrictions the college's administration have set. The college can have a way of making things difficult when it comes to newer software, so for now I am stuck with 6.5.0.

Also, my version of MC7 is just the trial. I thought I could only download a trial of the latest version, would it be possible to get a 6.5.4 trial?

Thanks

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 5:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,019
    • Points 215,730
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Actually you can download the 6.5.4.1 software from the download center and launch it ( after removing all traces of other Avid software from the system) and when it comes up - select use in Trial mode.

:)

email me if stuck

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller