Latest post Mon, Dec 30 2013 6:55 PM by Charles Little II. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 7:42 AM

Avid MC7 Crashes on Export, QT Reference = Black Screen

well, I've lost a lot of time tonight just reading through forums and searching for why I can't simply output a quicktime of my work to share with my client.  Here's the scenario...

- AMA sequence (simple video cuts and audio, nothing fancy)

- set ins and out...did a video mixdown, then an audio mixdown, saved them to a bin

- created a sequence in that new bin, cut in my video and audio mixdowns

- enabled the tracks they are on, set in and out at beginning and end of sequence

if I output a QT reference it works fine but the video is a black screen...audio is there but no picture...If I output anything that requires any conversion Avid crashes!  I can output anything that's 'Same As Source' but I'l have the black picture problem...I was really counting on my sharing a rough cut with clients first thing in the morining.  If anyone has any input it's greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Avid MC 7.0.3 | Mac Pro 3.06 GHz 12-Core | 64 GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1024 MB | OS 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    http://charleslittle2.com
    #charleslittle2

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: Avid MC7 Crashes on Export, QT Reference = Black Screen

What format/codec is your mixdown?  Some codecs work in Avid, and in some QuickTime-based software, but show a black screen in other software.

Take a look at your file using QuickTime Player 7, not QuickTime X.  Depending on the format, that might work.  It might also be visible in Sorenson Squeeze.

As you're sending to a client, I assume you plan on compressing the file to something else - so if it works in Squeeze, you're set to go.  You would then be able to output a MP4-H.264 or some other format as needed.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 3:40 PM In reply to

The exported file (from the video/audio mixdown in MC 7) is:

Format: AVID DNxHD Codec, 1920x1080, Millions, etc...

FPS: 23.98

Data Size: 1.05GB

Data Rate: 81.63 mbits/s

Duration: 1:50.27

The file plays the same in Sorenson Squeeze.  I've checked and rechecked my machine's quicktime codecs...reinstalled AvidCodecsLE and ProAppsQTCodecs.  I even went back and uninstalled the AJA codecs that were present on my system as I'm not using the AJA card anymore; I thought perhaps there was a conflict happening???  The machine is running 10.7.5, so I copied the exported video to another Mac running 10.9 just to see what might happen...but I also get the same results.  I've tried viewing the movie in QTPlayer 7, QTPlayer 10, Sorenson Squeeze 8.5, MPEG Streamclip, Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate and MXF$mac Player.  All environments play the video exactly the same.  

I output this video from Avid MC7 as 'Send to QT Movie'.  I've even tried 'Send To' (Sqeeze) from MC 7 and got the same results.  I'm totally stumped!  It seems like i'm just collateral damage of warring Avid, Apple codec wars...but I'm not sure...

Thoughts???

Avid MC 7.0.3 | Mac Pro 3.06 GHz 12-Core | 64 GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1024 MB | OS 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 6:55 PM In reply to

An AE friend let me know that a Video/Audio mixdown was not needed in this scenario.  I simply went back to the original AMA sequence, set an IN and OUT, rendered and exported the video and it worked as it should.  I must admit I'm still confused as to when a mixdown is required and when it's not...but at least that issue is behind me.  

happy new year.

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller