Latest post Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:52 AM by jwrl. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 21 2013 4:09 AM

Copying all files to hard drive for editing elsewhere

-Windows 7 Ultimate  (SP2)
    -Avid Media Composer 7

-Main SSD (OS + Programs)
    -HDD 1  (Avid Projects) 
    -HDD 2  (Avid Mediafiles + Original Media)

Greetings.

I am editing a project for school on my own computer with Media Composer 7. None of the media has been imported: everything has been AMA Linked. 

ISSUE:
    I need to transfer everything (Project+Mediafiles+Media+AMA) on an external HDD, so that I can go to school and edit it on their Macs (ultimately to export the project in ProRes).

The media will then be edited from my external HDD at school (no data transfer on their computers, AMA. link from my HDD to their Computer).

WHAT I NEED:
    A clear explanation on how to copy the files from my computer to my HDD and open them on their mac, without any third-party app. If a third-part app is necessary, is it possible to have the steps to follow using the app, for this specific issue? 

NOTE: I tried to copy each folder on the external HDD, but it gave me this message: 

''Do you really want to copy this file without its properties?

The File Real Ama Bin has properties that cannot be copied to this new location. 

Real Ama Bin.
    Type: Avid Bin File.
    Yes, Ignore, Cancel ''

Thank you very much! 

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: Copying all files to hard drive for editing elsewhere

If you have no Avid media yet then all you have is an Avid Project (stored whereever you decided to create it) and your original AMA sources.

So the AMA sources need to be on an external drive and you can copy your project to that same drive to transport it to school ( but generally not recommended to work with projects and media on the same drive in case of drive failure)

However if you go between PC and Mac your AMA links will break (even ging between different PC's or macs can cause issues)

So most likley you will have to make a temp Avid bin in your project and re-AMA link all the sources again.

This will refresh the links to the AMA clips in bins and sequences.

If you do make Avid media (by transcoding etc) then you will need to copy the Avid media files folder (probably folder 1 in the MXF folder. But take care it doesn't hold lots of other media as well (maybe select files by date created.

Don;t copy the 2 files in there starting with MSM (the database files) MC will rebuild them next time it launches and make them reflect the actual files it finds.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Nov 21 2013 12:53 PM In reply to

I'm sorry: this is hard for me to follow :( .  I am not sure I understand what to do. Can you please give a step by step explanation?

I do have media and sequences already edited and graded. I basically need to transfer all this on my external HDD to finish the edit elsewhere. 

Sorry if some of my questions are silly, I am not yet completely familiar with the way Avid works yet.

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 1:34 PM In reply to

If you are on a PC and your media drive is in NTFS format then you will be able to open that drive on a Mac but only be able to read the files not write to the drive (you need additional software to allow a Mac to write to a PC drive)

The warning you got when copying isn't anything to worry about just allow it to continue the copy will be fine.

Still not sure what you need to copy as you say nothings been imported yet just AMA linked and yet you say you have Avid Media? So you must have created Avid media which is why I described how to copy it across.

Somebody may post a step by step process for you (although that's almost impossible without being on the system as there as so many variables) but generally you'll find people are happy to give advice and guidance to encourage users to understand the process rather than do the task for them.

If editing is what you want to do then you need to understand the processes involved rather than learn a series of steps that will then fail you when one variable changes.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:52 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,382
    • Points 96,980

That error message indicates that you are copying from an NTFS file system to another format - usually nowadays FAT32.  If you're using a thumb drive it's almost certainly FAT32 formatted.  That means that you can't copy all NTFS attributes, and you can't copy files larger than 4 GB.

If on the other hand you're using an external hard drive and your partition is larger that 32 GB you may have an exFAT formatted disk.  In either case Pat summed up the appropriate response.

Pat Horridge:
    The warning you got when copying isn't anything to worry about just allow it to continue the copy will be fine.
    If you're copying AMA media then the same answer applies, but you will need to ensure that Avid on the Mac can still link to the AMA media.  The simplest method is to open your first AMA bin on the Mac, then do a new link to one of the "off-line" AMA files in that bin.  That usually repopulates the bin.  You can then delete the new AMA link - the relinked media will stay relinked.  From that point on if you're using MC7 or better the AMA media will be included in Avid's media management.

The most important part of the transfer process is to copy the project folder from the PC to the Mac.  Without that you're going nowhere.  You should check out this Knowledge Base article for full details.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller