Latest post Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:47 AM by jwrl. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:32 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Titles Should Automatically Go In A "Titles" Bin

I often click on a title to change it, without having the foresight to first open my title bin in preparation for saving any edits to a title.  Then, once having made the title change in the title tool, the system asks where I'd like to save the title, but the only options are bins that are already opened.  So, usually, I must dump the titles in my "edits" bin or some other open bin - only to have to open up my "titles" bin and drag them in there.  There should be a better solution than having to open the title bin, then make the edit with the title tool and save to the title bin.  Avid should somehow intelligently know that titles go in a title bin or automatically present the "Titles" bin as an option to save the titles to.  In the same way the "Quick Transitions" bin is recognised by the system, a "Titles" Bin should be the default place where titles are saved.

I personally don't like the idea of having saved title precomputes being represented in the project as files that must be placed in bins.  I find having them is more mess than it's worth, but I'm sure there are many fans of them, for various reasons that I'm not aware of.  However, I think this is a good compromise.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:55 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

Re: Titles Should Automatically Go In A "Titles" Bin

Yeah, that "thinking ahead" stuff is really a b***. I mean jeesh, I have to click a button, and type the word "Titles" and then maybe move it to a folder!  And open it!  Do you know what a time-waster opening bins is!? Why can't Avid read my mind already, it's been what 25 years?  [/rant]

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:46 PM In reply to

+1

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 10:56 PM In reply to

smrpix:

Yeah, that "thinking ahead" stuff is really a b***. I mean jeesh, I have to click a button, and type the word "Titles" and then maybe move it to a folder!  And open it!  Do you know what a time-waster opening bins is!? Why can't Avid read my mind already, it's been what 25 years?  [/rant]

I'm not even a professional editor, and still there are many times when I'm under incredible stress and time deadlines and that my finger tips are numb from typing and pressing keys. ANYTHING that can save even a keystroke is a Godsend, for me anyway.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:40 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

I couldn't tell if smrpix' comment was sarcasm or not:-)  I decided to take it at face value.  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 21 2013 1:28 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

S.Clements:

I couldn't tell if smrpix' comment was sarcasm or not:-)  I decided to take it at face value.  

Yes, I made that an "option" so users can go either way. Stick out tongue

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 7:13 PM In reply to

Okay, now I'd like to address the question at hand, and not if Avid should be working to save us keystrokes. Wink

S.Clements:
     I often click on a title to change it, without having the foresight to first open my title bin in preparation for saving any edits to a title.

How are you opening the title? If you are doing from a bin, then the bin must already be open. If you are doing it from the timeline and using the effect editor's Edit Title button, then it's definitely possible that the title's bin is not open.

S.Clements:
    Then, once having made the title change in the title tool, the system asks where I'd like to save the title, but the only options are bins that are already opened.

But if you opened the title from a bin, the bin is already open. And if you opened it from the effects editor, you aren't asked to specify a bin to save in, unless you are doing Save As.

S.Clements:
    So, usually, I must dump the titles in my "edits" bin or some other open bin - only to have to open up my "titles" bin and drag them in there.  

Okay, assuming you opened from the effects editor and are doing a Save As, all you have to do is press Cancel and open your titles bin and then Save As again. I don't see why saving in the "wrong" bin is necessary or easier.

I hope this helps a bit. I do think having the option to use a default Titles bin is a good idea. But, honestly, I feel like I might be misunderstanding your process somewhere.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 8:08 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

BobbyMurcerFan:

How are you opening the title? If you are doing from a bin, then the bin must already be open. If you are doing it from the timeline and using the effect editor's Edit Title button, then it's definitely possible that the title's bin is not open.

I open a title from the timeline with the effect editor.  I do it this way because it is easier to isolate the version of the title I am currently using in the cut.  

BobbyMurcerFan:

But if you opened the title from a bin, the bin is already open. And if you opened it from the effects editor, you aren't asked to specify a bin to save in, unless you are doing Save As.

Whenever I make a change, a new title file is created - it doesn't matter if it's a "save as" or "save".  A new file is always created regardless. 

BobbyMurcerFan:

Okay, assuming you opened from the effects editor and are doing a Save As, all you have to do is press Cancel and open your titles bin and then Save As again. I don't see why saving in the "wrong" bin is necessary or easier.

True. I did not think of this.   However, the procedure is clunky and I would like to see it fixed.  

BobbyMurcerFan:

I hope this helps a bit. I do think having the option to use a default Titles bin is a good idea. But, honestly, I feel like I might be misunderstanding your process somewhere.

I has helped, thanks.  I'm glad you think a default Titles bin is a good idea (I'd also love to see a default Motion Effects bin as well).  Also, I don't like how a new title file is created with every change.  It makes the bins so messy and confusing.

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 8:36 PM In reply to

S.Clements:

BobbyMurcerFan:

Whenever I make a change, a new title file is created - it doesn't matter if it's a "save as" or "save".  A new file is always created regardless. 

This is not what I'm seeing in 6.0.5. I just opened the effect editor, clicked on Edit Title, made a few changes and chose save. No new title was created.

However, if I choose Save As, then I get a dialog box to specify a bin, etc.. And the title in the timeline is changed to reference this new title.

If MC 7 is creating a new title everytime you edit a title, that would suck, IMHO.

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 8:52 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

BobbyMurcerFan:

If MC 7 is creating a new title everytime you edit a title, that would suck, IMHO.

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that happening to me too in MC 6 (maybe I have some weird preference selected?)  It's definitely happening to me in MC 7.  I just did it about 30 mins ago.

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 10:34 PM In reply to

Can you please try this again in a new project? B/c if that's what's happening, then other people need to confirm this behavior and it needs to be logged as a bug. Thanks very much.

• Thu, Nov 21 2013 11:33 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

BobbyMurcerFan:

Can you please try this again in a new project? B/c if that's what's happening, then other people need to confirm this behavior and it needs to be logged as a bug. Thanks very much.

Yes.  I just recreated the problem in a brand new project again.  It just keeps saving versions of the title....you can't even save it as the same name to replace it...it forces a new version every time.

• Fri, Nov 22 2013 1:35 AM In reply to

Wow, that's crazy. :(

I hope someone else can chime in on this...

Well, I created a new project, and it looks like it IS happening to me. And it is saving this new version of the title in the bin that the sequence is in. WTF? *IS* this normal? Confused

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. And this IS RIDICULOUS. If I want to save a NEW INSTANCE of the title I will simply use Save As instead of Save. As that's how these two commands have differed since the dawn of computing.

But even more perplexing is that it saves this new version of the title in whatever bin the SEQUENCE is in, not the bin that the original title is in. That is absurd. (I guess the reason why I didn't notice is I never thought to look in my Sequences bin for titles.)

This behavior makes no sense.

• Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:47 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

If you have used a title more than once and need to make a change to one instance, arguably automatic renaming is essential.  Otherwise all instances of that title would be unintentionally changed.  That said, if you know what you're doing and fully intend to change all instances, then "Save As..." should allow you to do just that.  Nor should it just save to the bin that the sequence is in.

Don't really care about a dedicated "Titles" bin, though, because I prefer to control where I put my media.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller