Latest post Mon, Nov 18 2013 9:53 AM by Brian Hathaway. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 5:39 AM

MC7, RED Epic Workflow

Just upgraded from MC6 to 7.  On a shoot this week using a RED Epic.  Can someone please help me with the RED Workflow in MC7 Interplay.   I heard tale of lots of improvements.  I have been trying to research all night but there is no clear workflow.  I am editing food commercials.  I need to be able to do an offline at 1080 using DNX36 or something small and then up res to the 4K at DNX220 for beauty clean up and color.  Just an fyi, I color correct in Symphany.  Any help or links would be appreciated.

Mac Pro 6.1, OSX 10.9.5, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Xeon E5, 64 GBs 1867 MHz DDR3, 500 GBs Flash Memory, AVID ISIS 5500 Primary Engine 32TB System, 3 x 27” LG Monitors... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 9:17 AM In reply to

Re: MC7, RED Epic Workflow

You can't do any finishing in Media Composer or Symphony in anything higher than HD (1080)

DNX220 isn't 4K.

So you will likley be looking at a HD conform and then taking your sequence to something like Resolve.

It's possible to work with the Red footage direct in Avid and then send an AAF or an AAF linked to AVid media to Resolve and then have Resolve link back to the Red source files.

If you aren't going to do the 4K finishing yourself then I'd get in touch with the Post house dealing with that and make sure your workflow is correct.

Grading for 4K if it's for DCP won;t be the samer as grading for TV using Symphony.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 9:53 AM In reply to

Re: MC7, RED Epic Workflow

Thank you for the fast response.  I understand that DNX220 is not 4K and that one is a codec and the other is resolution.  I think I may have mis stated my question.  My end goal is to be able to make a close up a macro with food.  So I need the 4K resolution to punch in without the image degrading.  In the past I have always used Davinci and FCP7 for these commercial projects but I was intrigued at NAB by the demos of MC7 and how it worked with R3D 4K files.  That being said my final output will be for broadcast (1920X1080)

Mac Pro 6.1, OSX 10.9.5, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Xeon E5, 64 GBs 1867 MHz DDR3, 500 GBs Flash Memory, AVID ISIS 5500 Primary Engine 32TB System, 3 x 27” LG Monitors... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller