Latest post Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:54 PM by TVJohn. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 31 2013 4:30 PM

• ki7xh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 11 2007
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

Liquid 7 User Finally Moving to Media Composer [hardware question]

Hi folks,

I'm a long-time Liquid 7 user who took the cross-grade to MC4/5 option "way back when".  Some things came up in my life (death in the family, etc...) that delayed building a new machine and making the move to Media Composer, shortly after buying it.

I'm finally thinking about making it happen, a half-decade later, and I see that I can upgrade from older versions of MC to MC7 for $399.

I trusted VideoGuys.com for advice on building my Liquid 7 / XP-Pro machine, and I am willing to trust them again for their suggestion for MC7. In five years, I locked up maybe three times.

Does anyone have any current input on this MC7 build on their website?

Also, would anyone know if I could dual-boot Win 7 Pro-64 for MC7 on a partitioned system disk (240GB Intel SSD) with a fresh install of my old XP-Pro-SP3 to run Liquid 7 as I am now, on the other partition? 

I expect a substantial learning curve to make the switch, and would like to keep Liquid available when I need to produce something quickly.  It's not crucial, but it would be ideal.

Thanks to all for reading!

Darrin in Wyoming

• Thu, Oct 31 2013 5:13 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Liquid 7 User Finally Moving to Media Composer [hardware question]

Welcome here Darrin, I believe Lew double booted for quite some time, maybe he still is

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Oct 31 2013 5:41 PM In reply to

• ki7xh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

Hi Tomas,

It's all coming back...  ;-)  I do remember you, from five years back, and Lew too.  You guys were always helpful when I had an issue.

Hopefully, Lew will have some input on this, as I have some "swapping around" to do.  Is he still around?

• Thu, Oct 31 2013 8:03 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

If you are willing to spend 2K, its good advice.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Oct 31 2013 8:12 PM In reply to

ki7xh:
    would anyone know if I could dual-boot Win 7 Pro-64 for MC7 on a partitioned system disk (240GB Intel SSD) with a fresh install of my old XP-Pro-SP3 to run
    I have had a triple boot system for a very long time. Originally as XP with SP2 and Vista  Currently with 2 x W7 Pro 64 and 1 XP SP3 with a different version of MC on each. (SATA drive not SSD) I have not had any issues with the multiple boot systems over the years.

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:29 AM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Hi Darrin,

I have sent you an email.

Lew

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:31 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,159
    • Points 217,400
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Lew!!!

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 9:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

ki7xh:

Hi Tomas,

It's all coming back...  ;-)  I do remember you, from five years back, and Lew too.  You guys were always helpful when I had an issue.

Hopefully, Lew will have some input on this, as I have some "swapping around" to do.  Is he still around?

Hi Darrin, as you noticed we are still around together with others wanting to assist you, welcome to the wonderful world of Media Composer and be prepared for a learning curve, if you haven´t used your keyboard for editings in Liquid ( luckily I did ) it might also be a good advice to get yourself a new keyboard with all the Avid commands on it, or just get yourself something to put on the old keys on your keyboard.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 1:45 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,590
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

More than just a few of us are still around. For my own $0.02 worth, I don't use a multiple boot system. I have a caddy-less removable drive frame in my system. One drive is W7 running MC, and the other is XP and Liquid.

If you're going to use a labeled keyboard, get one with the printed keycaps. I've never had any luck getting stickers to stay on my keyboards (and this goes back 30 years; noone has ever come up with an adhesive for keyboard labels that stick long term!! At least not on any keyboard I've ever used.)

I probably still have the sticker set that came with MC 4 lying around here somewhere.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 4:09 PM In reply to

Darrin,

Why not leave Liquid on your old PC and keep it, Then put MC on a new PC?  I have separate PCs for the two programs, a core 2 duo XP machine for Liquid (single monitor) and an i7 Win7 machine (two monitors) for Media Composer.

I don't have many SD projects any more, but they are usually shot on mini-DV and doing to DVD, so they go on the Liquid machine. Just the other day I was capturing tape my son shot for his JROTC unit on the Liquid PC while still doing client work on the MC PC. ( I do have a nice 3 LCD monitor stand with the two keepboards side by side on my desk).

I did dual boot for a while on the i7 with Liquid and MC, but over time I used Liquid less and less, and MC more and more. Finally, just reinstalled Liquid on the older PC that was it's home from 2006 until 2009. It still runs well, but not as well as it did on the i7. Still, it's good enough to be useful.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 2 2013 2:04 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2005
    • North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

Roger Van Duyn:

Why not leave Liquid on your old PC and keep it, Then put MC on a new PC?

As Roger suggests, keeping the old PC for Liquid would also allow you to have a spare computer for other things.  I use my Liquid computer for Internet browsing and testing new software, allowing my MC computer to be as "clean" as possible.

To make the two computer system more compact, you could use a KVM switch, allowing you to have two computers, but only one set of Keyboard, Video monitor and Mouse on the desk.

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

• Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:03 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Yeah, still keep Liquid on standby for tweeking all those HDV "fuses" I have tucked away...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Nov 4 2013 12:39 AM In reply to

• ki7xh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

Thanks to all of you for your input; you guys couldn't be more helpful.  Thanks especially to Lew and Marianna for taking their time to exchange emails, knock some ideas around, and build my confidence.

We are definitely all on the same page!  My "inspiration" to build a machine dedicated to MC7 has been growing over the last year, as the desktop PC I built in 2001 and have used for work and general connectivity (and file server) is getting really antiquated. I have been dual-booting Ubuntu along with XP-Pro with it for the last six or seven years now, and the box has been through a BIOS battery, and I think two P/Ss, two system disks, and I-can't-remember-how-many fans here and there.

My dedicated Liquid machine will move to my office desk with an externally accessible tray for swapping HDDs between the old, stabile, dedicated AL7 system disk and a new system disk for XP-Pro-SP3 (for starters, anyway) and all my normal connectivity and work/CAD stuff.

Once I have that up and running, I will strip the old office box and build a dedicated system for just MC7 (per the VideoGuys suggestion) into it.  I DO expect a healthy learning curve, but, hey, Old Man Winter is coming to Wyoming and that is the best time for late nights learning new things.

Igor, the system will be really close to your build.  I remember a ham being here, and I'm thinking it was you.  73!  My AL7 machine displaced my RTTY computer long ago.  ;-)

Dave S. and or AndrewAction...  Since you guys are running both Win7 and XP on the same box, do you guys have any BIOS changes to make when you first boot with the alternative OS?  Somewhere I recall reading that there could be issues resulting in a BSoD - "legacy something vs. something else"...  (Super-helpful, there, I know...sorry!)    I was planning to use XP-Pro again for the "work" system, but I'd really prefer to move on to Win7, as I am pretty happy with it on a netbook I bought and an HTPC I built recently.  (Sad that my $42 Android TV-stick is almost as good as that box...  I wish my father was still around to see this stuff...  Yes Dad, I just bought 32GB of SDRAM for under $250...)

At any rate, thanks to you guys for making me feel right at home again in the Avid community.  I know I'll need you all a bit more as I figure things out!

- Darrin

• Mon, Nov 4 2013 1:31 AM In reply to

May I ask, why are you planning on running your MC 7 system with Windows 7?

I have an i3 5400 RPM W8 laptop and it boots faster and feels snapper than my i7 SSD W7 destkop. While the laptop does not have MC on it, I do believe W8 and MC 7 are fully compatible. *Someone PLEASE CORRECT ME if that is wrong.*

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Nov 4 2013 2:22 PM In reply to

• ki7xh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

The sole reason I expect to go with Win7 is this comment on the recommended system from VideoGuys...

"While Windows 8 may be the latest and greatest OS, we are not yet recommending it for our video editing products at this time.  Win 8 is not approved for use with Media Composer 6.5 and Media Composer 7 will be the FIRST version supported under Win 8 so we'd rather wait on that recommendation."

I followed their build advice when I built my AL7 machine in 2007, and it's run nearly flawlessly over the years.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller