Latest post Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:16 PM by AndrewAction. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 26 2013 7:58 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

Integrated Title Tool

Please integrate the title tool into the program, so it doesn't have to open as a separate program.  Sometimes it can take as long as 45 seconds to open.  It is not a particularly complex program, so it shouldn't be separate.  Ironically, Avid FX often opens quicker.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 26 2013 9:29 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,347
    • Points 40,445

Re: Integrated Title Tool

While a valid comment / complaint, that is the LEAST of the issues with the Title Tool.

Having text not render to the exact same position you set in the tool is a fundamental issue that makes this tool virtually unusable with clients.

Waiting for it to open just adds insult to injury ...

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:22 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 809
    • Points 10,720

jef:

Having text not render to the exact same position you set in the tool is a fundamental issue that makes this tool virtually unusable with clients.

Ha!  I was noticing the misplaced text today, but thought I was imagining it!:-)  Man, the title tool is crazy!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:30 AM In reply to

• Kingsride
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 10 2013
    • Posts 68
    • Points 790

Agreed on both counts.

Title tool wasn't good way back in version 3 and has never been improved to any meaningful effect.

You're right about text kerning and positions changing in and out of the tool - WHY?

Rolling titles with mutiple text objects is even worse - Impossible to use in pratctice.

In HD resolutions text coming out of the tool is soft, very soft - WHY? (Marquee is no better)

AVID's DS had a fantastic integrated title tool where you could see the result of the various timeline FX / Positioning as you adjusted the text. Now DS has been discontinued. 

Version 7 ships with NewBlue title tool - better as a titling tool but it has no tracker and coming out of it you don't have a separate fill/alpha to manipulate using an AVID tracker or any AVID FX.  If this is presented as a solution it isn't.

So now we have three titling options, AVID title tool which is rubbish, Marquee which involves endless passes on exiting to create the Fill and Alpha so is avoided by every editor I know, and NewBlue Title which is limited after the title has been created. The latter two of these have to ability to generate complex animations but, oh dear, without being able to hear your audio at the same time.

I had the misfortune of having to create a number of 'type-on' text effects recently, such a basic effect. Title-tool couldn't, so I opted for Marquee. OMG how buggy it was and took about 2 mins to export each one back to the timeline to find it wasn't correct and needed modification. I wish I'd never bothered and opted to wipe them on but I persisted. Oh, and I discovered to my dismay that the grid settings of choice in the AVID application don't transfer to Marquee so I had to mark my screen to see safe limits. Is there anything that works correctly with this tool?

To summarise, titling in AVID is poor, very poor. 

P

Macbook Pro Retina | 750GB | 10.10.5 | MC 8.4.2 | Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:39 AM In reply to

Kingsride:
    To summarise, titling in AVID is poor, very poor. 
    I disagree. You get Avid FX with Avid and it has a great Titler that operates inside Avid  and the option to add New Blue Titler if you want. These make your Titling options inside Avid pretty decent IMO.

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:50 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kingsride:
    To summarise, titling in AVID is poor, very poor

No mention of Avid FX ( Boris Red)

Boris Red (Avid FX)  has Boris Grafitti integrated into it and can do the most that you are likely to require.

Of course someone will point out that you need 1 estra keydtroke to get into Avid FX!

Well you have to do the same keystroke to get into NewBlue Titler.

One other plus for Avid FX is that it is always the full version, and it is always the latest version.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 1:23 AM In reply to

+100 for AvidFX.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:12 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,347
    • Points 40,445

I have but one comment about AvidFX: 

It is not an Avid product.  It is licensed from Boris.

And as we have seen recently, license issues can change quickly and not always in the best interest of Avid customers.

To assume it will always be included as part of MC is dangerous.

Avid needs a homegrown integrated title tool that does the basics correctly.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:16 PM In reply to

jef:
    It is not an Avid product.
    True. For me the Title Tool (apart from bug fixes) has not changed in a coupe of decades. Marquee was an outside product and that has not changed since Avid aquired it.

For those two reasons alone I am encouraged to place my faith that Avid MAY be more likely to continue to support quality third party products than they are to redesign their Title tool (which is still 32 bit) or reinvent a new titling product of their own.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller