Latest post Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:01 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 19 2013 3:30 AM

Animate Title Letter Opacity

Hi All,

I have a tilte which is "Resolve".

Over the course of a few seconds, I need to have the letters to appear on the screen in the following order: l, o, v, e, s, e, R. So the progression would be as follows:

l

ol

olv

olve

solve

esolve

Resolve

Any thoughts on how to do this would be much appreciated. I've looked at the AvidFx type on feature, but that seems unable to work with a user specified order.

Thanks much!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Oct 19 2013 4:11 AM In reply to

Re: Animate Title Letter Opacity

How do you want them to appear? In Position? Cut or Fade? Move to position?

If in position you could have a simple title Resolve. then save 6 other versions of it each with one letter less. then cut the 7 titles onto your timeline in the appropriate order and cadence.

Or make the title in Avid FX and animate each letters transparency.

If moving in Avid FX change individual letters position size and transparency.

Reasonably sure one of Douglas's early tutorials showed a couple of versions of this.

• Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:15 AM In reply to

Andrew,

Thanks! I would like the letters to just fade up in place, no movement.

I thought about the TT method you outlined above. But the letters are not equal in size, so there would probably be a slight jump between some of the titles.

What I did right now is create seven new video tracks and cut a different letter into each track. Since each new title track only contains one letter that never disappears, there won't be any jumping due to slight letter misalignment.

I will be looking into the AvidFX method more and search for a Douglas tutorial.

Thanks for your help!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:36 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,360
    • Points 16,745

Create your entire final title as you want it to appear, either in title tool or as a graphic.

Cut the title/graphic into the timeline.

Add edits where you want each change to occur temporally.

Go into each segnment and crop out the parts you don't want to see.

add dissolves to each add edit mark.

• Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:51 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,315
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Andrew is on the right track

I would however make it even simpler in Avid FX

Try Andrew's idea first

Here is a short example I made just now, using my variation.

http://www.screencast.com/t/s1W7mCSkLBx

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Oct 19 2013 9:00 AM In reply to

Thank you Douglas!! I will work on the AvidFX solution and report back. :)

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:55 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,315
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BobbyMurcerFan:

In the meantime I have just finished editing a tutorial on my approach to creating the effect you are looking for.

It is quite straightforward in AvidFX. If you are interested in knowing more about the tutorial, please visit this url:

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/2014/2014_Avid_FX_Text.html

It is the tutorial that is numbered 12_11, at the bottom of the page.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 2:47 PM In reply to

You could also create the title in Photoshop, using individual layers to represent each "stage" of the build.  Then import the .psd into MC and choose the Sequence of Layers option.  Next adjust the layers in Avid to give the proper look.  You could put dissolve between them or, as I prefer, use Fade Effect to save from having unneeded pre-computes and rendering. 

The key is to start with the final look and work backwards. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:40 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:

BobbyMurcerFan:

In the meantime I have just finished editing a tutorial on my approach to creating the effect you are looking for.

It is quite straightforward in AvidFX. If you are interested in knowing more about the tutorial, please visit this url:

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/2014/2014_Avid_FX_Text.html

It is the tutorial that is numbered 12_11, at the bottom of the page.

Regards

Douglas

Douglas, Thank you so very much!! I'm downloading it as I type. Wink

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:42 PM In reply to

Kenton, Thank you very much for the Photoshop suggestion!

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:01 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,384
    • Points 97,000

For what it's worth, Kenton's approach is one of the techniques that I use too.  And if you don't have Photoshop, any art package that handles layers will work.  I've created an animated title this way using the Gimp on Linux.

However an even simpler approach would be to open the title in the effects tool and keyframe right and left crop values.  This assumes that the font that you've used has no oberlap between letter boundaries.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:09 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,384
    • Points 97,000

Follow on from the above.  Since you want the letters to dissolve on, instead of keyframing, force a cut where you want each transition.  Open the first part of the title in the effects tool and crop it so that just the "l" is visible.  Move to the next, and crop it so that you see "ol".  Keep going until your have the full word ""Resolve" visible.

Now just place dissolves between each cropped section of the title.  Done.

That may sound a little unwieldy, but I've found it a very quick method of doing this.  But as I said above, whether you can use it or not really does depend on whether your font has clear space between each letter or not.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:43 AM In reply to

Thank you for the suggestion, it's quite clever!

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:35 PM In reply to

I've had a chance to investigate all of the methods suggested and even a few variations that I've come up with.

Have to say that Douglas' tutorial is INVALUABLE. The method of using AvidFX has many advantages because you are making an *easily adustable*, fully keframeable vector graphics effect. And this effect sits right on *one* MC timeline track.

Additionally, the clarity with which it is described is amazing.

• Thu, Oct 24 2013 12:37 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,315
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes

Thank you for that, BMF

I do, as you do, also appreciate the others who posted ideas.
    Quite often I will change one of my older established workflows, after I read how other editors are working.
    Maybe this time some other editors will investigate how Avid FX can make the whole process semi-automatic. Geeked

It's all about give and take and keeping an open and receptive mind.

Regards

Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller