Latest post Mon, Aug 25 2014 8:46 AM by Thomas DW. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:56 PM

• Dan Rapela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2011
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 21
    • Points 510

Interplay 3.0

Has anyone upgraded to Interplay Production 3.0?  We are not ready for Sphere yet, but I would like to know if there are any other improvements that make it worth upgrading.  

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:20 AM In reply to

• kvolkov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 4 2009
    • Posts 40
    • Points 435

Re: Interplay 3.0

Hi Dan,

Sphere was available even before 3.0, starting from 2.7 as far as I rememeber.

3.0 delivers several other new features like:

- entirely 64bit engine -> means more files to manage and faster

- New "Synched" project type for MediaComposer

- AMA support in Interplay

... and other. So depending on your workflow you can get interesting improvements!

K. 

• Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:38 PM In reply to

• Dan Rapela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2011
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 21
    • Points 510

Thanks.  We recently upgraded to 2.7 with an AS3000 server running the engine.  Maybe it's not "entirely" 64 bit at this point, but I am very impressed with speed.  

I'm very curious about the "synced" projects.  Our projects tend to linger and over the months, editors rename bins, check in sequences that had been used as references.  That all clutters the database.  I'm constantly "re-syncing" on my own by deleting all metadata from a project in Access, then opening the project and checking in all open bins to Interplay, giving me less clutter and orphaning some of the garbage.  

• Fri, Oct 4 2013 3:54 PM In reply to

Hi Dan, Synced projects are a way of offering an automatic check in to Interplay (without having to do the manual check in process). So when you create a bin in a synced project, it automatically creates a folder in the Interplay database. Same thing if you created a sequence in the bin. Also, if a user in Interplay added clips in your bin folder in Interplay, an update from interplay would put those clips in your bin. Everything gets checked in to a Synced Folders area of the Interplay database by default. So it is a little bit different from the previous Interplay workflow of manually checking in.

You can have a mixture of synced and regular projects in Interplay, so you can choose whether you want to work with a Synced project or not. If you go to 3.0 you could experiment a bit with a synced project and see what you think of the workflow.

One thing to bear in mind is that Synced projects is not like project sharing - no locked bins or anything like that - because when multiple users open up a synced project they get their own project to work in that is a mirror image of the original synced project in Interplay.

• Mon, Oct 14 2013 2:01 PM In reply to

Since in synced projects, there isn't a Bin Lock protection, in my opinion, it's a little bit risky if there are more than one editor working at the same time, in the same project.

If you need to Update from Interplay or close and reopen the project again, I dont see the difference between this way and the dragging from the Interplay window.

I think this workflow could be used by people/companies that are just starting using Interplay and need to make the switch from the Unity sharing method and the Interplay one. In my opinion, for people that already are sharing with the Interpplay's way, this new feature doesn't add any new advantage. But, always is better to have more and more ways to do things, and let the people choose.

* Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 * MacBook Pro 8,3

• Wed, Dec 11 2013 2:11 AM In reply to

• khanhpig
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 19 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

• Wed, Dec 11 2013 2:34 AM In reply to

diegovillalba:
    Since in synced projects, there isn't a Bin Lock protection, in my opinion, it's a little bit risky if there are more than one editor working at the same time, in the same project.

This can happen with traditional Interplay project also. It will give you a warning when you try to check in an asset that had been modified since you checked it out.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 11 2013 7:08 PM In reply to

Yes you are right Dom, but as you know the way Interplay works, you now how to avoid it, but if you are accustomed to share projects, like in the Unity days, don't having the bin lock could be a nightmare.
    Regards.

DV

* Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 * MacBook Pro 8,3

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 8:46 AM In reply to

• Thomas DW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 12 2012
    • Posts 14
    • Points 185
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Hello Diego,

can you please take a look at my question here?

Thank you in advance,
    Thomas 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller