Latest post Thu, Aug 29 2013 2:09 AM by Mondo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 27 2013 8:14 PM

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Up-rezing sequences from AMA sources

I'm trying to get a handle on how MC treats transcoding sequences.

I cut a short film recently. Footage was AMA linked, then transcoded to DNxHD 115, then edited into the sequence. Now that the edit is final I want to uprez the footage in the sequence to DNxHD 175.

I can choose the sequence and choose to transcode it to DNXD 175, however, I don't know if MC is just transcoding the DNxHD 115 material in the sequence, which case I'm not gaining quality just creating large files, or if it is going back to the AMA source and transcoding it to DNxHD 175, in which case I'm getting higher quality.

I know I can transcode the AMA sources again to DNxHD 175, which creates new media and then choose the sequence and Relink... but I'd rather not transcode every clip in the project in its entirety (much of which wasn't used) or sort out which individual single clips were used and transcode.

So how does it work with AMA sources, transcoded and edited into a sequence and then the sequence transcoded? 

MC 2018.4 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. MC 2018.5 Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 27 2013 11:06 PM In reply to

Re: Up-rezing sequences from AMA sources

You don't want to transcode the DNX 115 material or you will just make bigger files.

The trick is to re-link a copy of your sequence back to the AMA sources and then transcode that to 175.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:21 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Ok... what is the process for doing that?

The material on the timeline is already transcoded files from AMA sources, I never edited the AMA files into the sequence. How would it know or how can I tell it to link back to AMA sources?

MC 2018.4 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. MC 2018.5 Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:10 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Erik - you should have linked your AMA files to the original transcoded files (using relink to a specific resolution) before editing. Then it is simply a matter of taking those transcodes offline and relinking the AMA files.. as it is you've edited with .new files. What may work now is to duplicate your sequence and try batch importing the the transcoded sequence to DNxHD 175. There may be other workflows but that is the first one I can think of.

Unless you were planning on major grading work there will be zero visual difference between 115 and 175 IMO.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 2:11 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Now I'm getting confused.

All these clips were AMA linked and then transcoded and then edited into the sequence as the DNxHD is better performing and more stable then editing the AMA clips directly. The transcode process made DNxHD clips which were then edited into the sequence.

Seems as though that if you transcode the AMA clips and then choose to Relink on the AMA clips, the AMA clip then becomes replaced with the transcoded DNxHD 115 media and no longer has a link back to the original AMA media in which to transcode to a higher res. So that kind of defeats the purpose.

AFAIK, you can't batch import because these started life as AMA clips, they weren't imported.

I suppose it would have been better to edit the AMA clips directly into the timeline, but this project had a very short runway so couldn't afford for any issues with editing AMA.

Transcoding the AMA files again to 175 and then relinking the sequence works (it replaces the edited .new.01 files with the .new.02 files. But still a pain to have to figure out what clips were used and transcode individual files.

I was hoping there was an easier way.

I've had to do some heavy grading on much of this content so it can probably benefit from the higher bitrate.

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 3:33 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,361
    • Points 16,760

Open the bin(s) with the AMA clips.  Highlight them.  Open the bin with the sequence,  Highlight it.  Right click on the sequence and choose relink.  Select the option to relink to selected media in all open bins.  Be sure to tick the make a new sequence box.

If all goes well you will have a new copy of your sequence with all AMA media.  Transcode to 175 and export.

But if you need the higher resolution to grade, why not go all the way to 220?

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 4:06 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Thanks. That might do it. Still a little bit of a pain in the but because I either need to still find each individual AMA file or all the AMA clips in the entire project... But it does work it seems.

This is a 23.976 project, so 220 isn't an option.

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 4:53 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Erik:

Seems as though that if you transcode the AMA clips and then choose to Relink on the AMA clips, the AMA clip then becomes replaced with the transcoded DNxHD 115 media and no longer has a link back to the original AMA media in which to transcode to a higher res. So that kind of defeats the purpose.

Incorrect. If you take the transcoded clips offline and then go through the AMA linking process again to your original AMA folder all the files will re-link automatically.

Have a look at this tutorial for the Sony FS100 .. but essentially it's identical fo any offline-online AMA workflow except where proxies are already generated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9Kn0_Jd0w

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 5:05 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Mondo:
    Incorrect. If you take the transcoded clips offline and then go through the AMA linking process again to your original AMA folder all the files will re-link automatically.

I've seen similar workflows but I'm on a PC not a Mac, so unmounting an internal drive isn't really an option.

Renaming the Avid Media Files and the folders I had the files in will take them offline. But it still doesn't seem to function well. I'm not sure if it is because of the inability to mount/unmount or the fact that these clips were AMA linked to specific files rather than a volume.

Besides, this would have been fine prior to editing..doesn't do me much good now.

The other method of relinking to specific open bins above actually works suprisingly well.

• Thu, Aug 29 2013 2:09 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Erik:
    I'm not sure if it is because of the inability to mount/unmount or the fact that these clips were AMA linked to specific files rather than a volume.

Probably - you should always preserve the volume structure of the AMA files and volume link - it solves a lot of issues.

Erik:

Besides, this would have been fine prior to editing..doesn't do me much good now.

The other method of relinking to specific open bins above actually works suprisingly well.

Exactly - I've not used that one before so it's helpful to know.

John

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller