Latest post Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:00 PM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 27 2013 6:16 PM

Maxing out my HP Z400 specs for Media Composer 7.

Hello everyone!

I am thinking about maxing out the specs of my HP Z400 workstation.

My actual configuration is: 

Quad-Core W3550 processor ((8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

12 Gb of RAM (6 2GB modules)

Nvidia Quadro 4000 Graphic Card

An Intel Solid State Drive (On which media composer is installed)

External Media hard drives connected via eSATA

I would like to do the following upgrades:

- Replacing my 12 GB of RAM configuration to a 24 GB of RAM configuration (Using 6 4GB modules http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/HP-Z400-Workstation-memory-configuration-and-optimization.pdf )

- Replacing my Quad-Core W3550 processor with a 6-Core W3690 processor ( http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13276_na/13276_na.PDF )

But then I stumble upon the Avid Configuration Guidelines for the HP Z400 workstation ( http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/AVIDHPZ400Gen2ConfigguideRevB.pdf )

I am now worried by two things: 

The highest listed processor is the 6-Core W3680. Would that mean that the 6-Core W3690 would not be supported by Avid or only that it would not be used to it's full potential?

In the three memory configurations listed, the 24 gig one is not mentioned. Would that mean that it would not be supported by Avid, or only that it won't use it to it's full potential? 

Over-config seems to work with my Quadro 4000 (the Quadro 2000 was the highest mentioned in the documentation and Avid seems to be recognizing it without any issue), and thus, I was wondering if it'd work also with the RAM and Processor. 

Since Media Composer 7 Interplay is struggling with my current config (Stuttering and hickups with 1080p AVCHD editing through AMA) as oppose to Media Composer 6.5 which ran with no issues, I thought it might be a good time to upgrade my hardware. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:53 AM In reply to

Re: Maxing out my HP Z400 specs for Media Composer 7.

Avid will utilize the faster CPU and larger RAM especially when editing in HD.

Quadro 4000 and 2000 are fine. They work no matter what CPU you use.

AVCHD via AMA is not a recommended workflow. I suggest transcoding after AMA relinking. There is too much CPU overhead involve with AMA linking on top of AVCHD requirements.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:00 PM In reply to

Re: Maxing out my HP Z400 specs for Media Composer 7.

I've never had an issue using a faster CPU than Avid approve and you will gain from that.

Watch the memory config as the Avid spec is specific about the layout to ensure the RAM runs at the highest speed. It's quite possible the same performance is achievable with bigger modules just un tested by Avid as yet (and as the Z400 isn't a current version it's unlikely that will be updated)

I'd look at the Z420 as it's a marked improvement over the 400

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller