Latest post Sat, Aug 10 2013 4:14 PM by kcrea. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 9 2013 5:10 PM

• kcrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 7 2006
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Creating Dissolves Between Still Images on Timeline

Hello Folks:

I want to create a 58 minute video with just picture stills (jpegs) on the timeline; each image/clip having a duration of 75 seconds.  I want to use a quick dissolve (8 seconds) for transition from one picture to the next.  I notice that I don't have enough handles to make the dissolve work (they are zero) - so I am stuck on how to proceed.

[I already re-imported the images to be a duration of 75 seconds.]

Do you have any advice/direction on how to proceed?  

Thanks again for your help,

Kevin 

Media Composer 7.0, iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, Mac OS X 10.8.4. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Aug 9 2013 5:16 PM In reply to

Re: Creating Dissolves Between Still Images on Timeline

When you cut the still image into your timeline, regardless of the duration, you need to set an In Mark and Out Mark leaving some frames behind,  These will be your handles.

So, if you want a 75 sec clip with 8 sec dissolve (4 secs each side), you'll want an 83 sec clip to start.  Mark In at 4 secs.  Mark Out at 4 sec before the end of the clip.  Cut that into your timeline.  Now, each pair of contiguous clips have 4 secds each, or 8 secs total, for handles.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Aug 9 2013 5:17 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

You can batch import the images with handles of 50 frames that will help you with the dissolves
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 9 2013 5:53 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,260

Quick way to fix the problem

Re-import all the image files at 83 sec duration. Put them all in 1 bin.

Go to script mode in the bin, and select all the clips (Ctrl A).

Press T, which will mark all the clips.

Press Q - takes you to the start of the clips.

Press 2 (gives 10 frames forward) as many times as you need to get to 4 seconds from start, and Mark In.

Press W - takes you to end of the clips.

Press 1 (gives 10 frames back) as many times as you need to get to 4 seconds back from end, and Mark Out.

You now have all your clips with 4 seconds handles at the start and end, with your required 75 seconds duration .

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 9 2013 6:25 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

If you've already created your sequence with imported JPEGs that are 75 seconds long and you want to add dissolves after the fact, even though you don't currently have handles, it is still possible. If you Batch Import your JPEGs and Override clip settings with current settings set to a duration of 83 seconds. This will add the handles to clips in the sequence you already have, allowing you to add dissolves of 8 seconds, Starting at Cut.

This was one of the tricks I covered in Avid Editing Tips and Tricks - Part IV of the DV Fanatics Blog.

James
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Sat, Aug 10 2013 4:14 PM In reply to

• kcrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 7 2006
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Thanks Folks - you guyz are great!  It worked, I now have handleage to work with. Big Smile

Media Composer 7.0, iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, Mac OS X 10.8.4. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller