Latest post Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:21 AM by mrmikster. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 8 2013 9:16 AM

• Rory Gavin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 10 2013
    • Ireland
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Alternatives to DS?

Now that Avid have pulled the plug what are our options for alternatives to DS?

We're looking at Smoke and think it's a pretty compelling solution.  I've heard it's clunkier and slower to work on than DS but that the toolset is impressive.  And the fact that you don't have to go in and out of several pieces of software is appealing to me.  The new Mac Pros aren't yet out and it may take some time before the software is ready to work with them but I expect I'll continue to run my existing DS for a few more years in tandem with whatever new system we decide on.

Does anyone else have any pros and cons re Smoke?

And what about alternatives?  What are people looking at?

Avid DS 11.1.1/Sapphire/Tinder. HPXW8600 16GB/14TB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:43 AM In reply to

Re: Alternatives to DS?

Avid is suggesting Symphony and Fusion which is a powerful combo, but only up to HD size. If you need to deliver larger files Symphony is not the answer. Smoke has been suggested as a potential replacement on the lively discussion on Google DS-List. The problem with Smoke is twofold--the level of conform via AAF coming from MC is not as good as what we have in DS and color correction is not guaranteed real time until rendered.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:38 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 356
    • Points 4,210

No firsthand experience with it, but SGO Mistika seems to be up-and-coming outside of the US film industry. Quantel has a big presence in DI/finishing, some of the various Pablo editions are comparable, and even superior in some aspects (though probably lacking in others.)

Really depends on what you need.

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:16 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

NYnutz:

No firsthand experience with it, but SGO Mistika seems to be up-and-coming outside of the US film industry. Quantel has a big presence in DI/finishing, some of the various Pablo editions are comparable, and even superior in some aspects (though probably lacking in others.)

Really depends on what you need.

At last glance, both Mistika and Pablo were MUCH more expensive than DS.

Pricing of smoke is hard to gauge as there is smoke on mac and smoke advanced.  The differences between them are not clear.

While price is not the only determining factor, for certain tasks and markets it plays a big roll.  If the move from SD to HD provides any guidance, I will be surprised if there is much of a premium to be paid for 4K finishing.

And don't forget, Apple tells us that FCPX and the new MacPro are both 4K ready.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:26 PM In reply to

• ja_janus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

http://ifxsoftware.com/piranha7

May be?

• Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:21 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Hmmm. XML and EDL conform only? Is the paint tool vector?

In our shop, 99% of the conforms are from Media Composer, have been for many years. Without a decent conform, there really isn't any great option for us, maybe we'll look at the Symphony/Fusion option, but I've roundtripped before - Scratch/MC, MC/AFX, Premiere/AFX, Resolve/MC etc, and there are always some drawbacks. The integrated toolsets are a big attraction for us. I liked the Pablo when we last owned one, but as was said before, it was really expensive.

Grading and comping in Symphony is ridiculously slow, like driving a dumptruck with oven mitts. Resolve 10 comes out next week, we'll have to look at where they are and where they are going. I feel it's going to be many years before anyone comes close to what our DS systems are capable of.

It's a crying shame that Avid are killing such a great product. Just as our clients are clamouring for a 4K product that can conform from MC and has a great set of compositing/paint and title tools. Too hard to sell a product that is EOL though and eventually, as great as it is, it will lack some necessary file format or feature.

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller