Latest post Wed, Jul 31 2013 5:58 PM by leonisa. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:28 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

Re: Transitions between keyed footage

leonisa:
    I notice you don't have a submaster inside your your Matte Key unlike me. Is that because you stepped in and pasted rather than collapsing and applying (which is what I need)?

I use the OPTION (ALT) modifier key when applying the effects so that it creates the nest as you apply the effect.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:08 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

I'm surprised that the (to me) obvious fix wasn't adopted.  Put your background on V1, your first matte on V2, and your second on V3.  You can then do whatever transitions you wish on both V2 and V3 without affecting V1 in any way.  You also have the plus that both mattes can be uniquely adjusted without keyframing.

Dissolving your key sources inside the Spectramatte is not an approach that I would have used, since you can potentially pollute your key color when you dissolve between the two sources.  This can make achieving a clean transition fiddly at best.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:24 AM In reply to

• leonisa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 2 2006
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

Can you set up a  timeline to show what you are suggesting? Have you tested this?

• Sun, Jul 28 2013 12:01 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

I'm at home (it is the weekend) so I can't post a timeline at the moment.  Have I tested this?  What's to test?  I use this technique regularly.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:36 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

I've now read the whole thread, and not just the last few posts.  The technique that I suggested I use for dissolves and not pushes.  You should be able to achieve that by adjusting position inside the Spectramatte, but I will test that later today.

Sorry to have misled you.

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 12:00 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jwrl:
    I've now read the whole thread, and not just the last few posts.

Geeked I tend to do that a lot, John
    It must be something we have in common.

It will be interesting to see how easily you can pull the effect off in MC with Spectramatte.

With Avid FX, it is quite easy to do.

However, as I said in an earlier post, a lot depends on which applications and plug-ins one is familiar with. My Avid FX way can seem complicated to a person who likes to stay in the Avid AVX world, and vice versa.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 12:37 AM In reply to

• leonisa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

Hi

Just update. Job in full swing using the Matt Key w/Spectramatte using the setup in this post earlier in the thread 

Good for the pushes and some other effect plugins. Able to add my CC and other filters on the V2 layer so should be able to finish the whole job inside MC which is best.

I hadn't thought about dissolves as I didn't think that would be an issue - do they take a copy of the background layer by default - proably not.

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 1:02 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

leonisa:
    Just update. Job in full swing using the Matt Key w/Spectramatte

Yes Geeked

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:00 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

jwrl:
    I've now read the whole thread, and not just the last few posts.
    drbgaijin:
    Geeked I tend to do that a lot, John

It must be something we have in common

Well, my excuse is old age, Douglas.  I can't think what yours would be...

Glad you were able to get going despite my attempt to confuse the issue, leonisa.

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:34 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jwrl:
    Well, my excuse is old age

John, Old age is not an excuse, it is a reason!

jwrl:
    I can't think what yours would be...

Replace the word "old" with "older" Geeked

Regards,
    What's my name?

Let me see.
    "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, Dear ........"   Aha, got it!    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 12:51 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

drbgaijin:

With Avid FX, it is quite easy to do.

However, as I said in an earlier post, a lot depends on which applications and plug-ins one is familiar with. My Avid FX way can seem complicated to a person who likes to stay in the Avid AVX world, and vice versa.

I agree, Avid FX is often overlooked as a useful tool. Editors who overlook it would be surprised with all that it can do. I wrote a blog about Avid FX as well called Avid FX (Boris RED) in Avid Media Composer. It even includes a bin of some free transition effects I have built in Avid FX.

The disadvantage in using Avid FX, is that Avid FX is a non-realtime effect and takes longer to render.

James
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 5:58 PM In reply to

• leonisa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

http://www.thefader.com/2013/07/31/video-annie-back-together/

The first 50 seconds are some British dry humour so don't worry about that.

Every single shot had to employ this matte key 3 layer setup given that every shot needed some CC and the transitions. It would really be some much easier as someone has said perhaps in this thread or another thread why can't the effects pipeline has an "Apply to this track only" option? The workflow is no big deal on a occasional shot by shot basis but when an entire video.....Thanks for the all the suggestions on how to keep this inside Media Composer.

I have attached a timeline image for anyone looking at this thread. The bottom tracks that have the CC in some places also have paint effect nested for a garbage matte sometimes before the key. 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller