Latest post Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:27 PM by Job ter Burg. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:30 AM In reply to

Re: Audio Mixer gripes.

Dhansel:
    the mixer window will remember what size you want it set to
    Unless I quit the application. If I then call up the Audio Mixer, it defaults to 4ch, even if I have saved my Workspace with a 16ch mixer.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:39 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I respectfully disagree.

It's hard to please every editor and his habits. 
    Problem was, they fixed it, but not in a good way.

Better said: 

If it ain't broken, don't fix it... 

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 2:24 PM In reply to

• blafarm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 21 2006
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,985

Wim Van den Broeck:

That is a true statement.

However, I'd have to agree with the sentiments expressed by Job in this thread.

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 2:33 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I'm not comparing to Beta, I'm comparing the way the mixer has worked in various versions I have used, from MC 5.5.2 in 1995 to MC6.5.3 last month.

The latter version had it better when it comes to the 4/8/16ch button.

Same here.  Both the beta implementation described by Wim and the current implementation are inferior to the way it used to work prior to MC7.

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:01 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

Would this work?

1. If you hit the four, eight or 16 channel selector, the mixer would go to that size and stay there, regardless of source/record activation.

2. But it would still be possible to resize the mixer to other sizes (smaller or larger than the current track count). If you did that, the mixer would provide scroll bars as necessary and again, would stay put, regardless of source/record activation.

Steve

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:08 PM In reply to

Wim Van den Broeck:

Agreed. But there should be a consistency in how and when and why you trigger something.

There just is no reason NOT to get an 8ch mixer when you order one. If you were in 4ch mode and wanted to get to A5-A8, you'd just click the Grp button.

There is no reason we cannot map the Clip and Auto modes. Most of us use both. In fact, you sometimes have to, as Clip is routed before RTAS, and Auto is routed after RTAS. As an example.

There is no reason that the size of the mixer is not part of my User settins or Workspace. All the other tools in my default S/R Editing workspace remember where they should be and how big they should be.

Etc.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:08 PM In reply to

I know... it's clunky to say the least

It has become a strange mix of New UI, with the old gripes (menu items not mappable), and added some new strange behaviors + some "old" pro tools integration, (the whole RTAS-AAX)....

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Tue, Jul 30 2013 12:44 AM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 26 2013
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Wim Van den Broeck:
    MAKE AUDIO CHANNELS VISIBLE according to the 4-8-16 view, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT THERE.
    And let the Audio Mixer Tool auto adapt its size to that...

Agree to that. But of course with the possibility to make the window bigger when dragging the bottom low corner. it is tiring for me to see the numbers so close together on the sliders. Yes I lived half a century alreadyCool

Also never using the live-mix.

Upset about the new round button for balance which are more trouble than sliders right-left.

Greetings, Bilbo

Teaching: MC Apple or windows, Liquid (until 2 years ago), Premiere, FCP... Also Flash, Director, AE. Using: MC, FCP 7 & X At Home: MC 7.04 interplay... [view my complete system specs]

I love words, even if they make me crazy and are responsible for most of the fights and wars. I don't like these last two. 

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:30 PM In reply to

• Nick Myburgh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 13 2013
    • Johannesburg, South Africa
    • Posts 16
    • Points 205

Adman:

+1 ...I just wish you could adjust the level while the video playback continues to play in the composer window without stopping. 

You can.  Set the mixer's mode to "AUTO" - right-hand0side button in the group of four above the sliders.

Apple iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS X (Version 10.8) Onboard video: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB External video: Matrox MX02 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:50 PM In reply to

Nick Myburgh:
    Set the mixer's mode to "AUTO" - right-hand0side button in the group of four above the sliders.
    Uhm, that only works if you then go into Automation Record. Not the same thing.

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 11:39 PM In reply to

• Nick Myburgh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 205

Job ter Burg:

Nick Myburgh:
    Set the mixer's mode to "AUTO" - right-hand0side button in the group of four above the sliders.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention - I thought the poster wanted to be able to adjust track volume during simultaneous playback - which is pretty much what aurtomation mode is all about  - unless he doesn't want to KEEP riding the levels.  Fair enough. 

Apple iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS X (Version 10.8) Onboard video: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB External video: Matrox MX02 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 11:38 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,084
    • Points 12,340

Nick Myburgh:

Job ter Burg:

Nick Myburgh:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention - I thought the poster wanted to be able to adjust track volume during simultaneous playback - which is pretty much what aurtomation mode is all about  - unless he doesn't want to KEEP riding the levels.  Fair enough. 

Maybe the OP doesn't want to have to mark an IN & OUT every time he wants to ride levels - or does want to have the choice of read/write/touch/latch etc that other audio interfaces have.... 

PS who *EVER* uses the 'Live' function?

(OK I just thought of a use... 'Live' level adjustment whilst playing to air... Oh no, still STOPS at the first level adjustment)

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:50 AM In reply to

• Nick Myburgh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 205

:)

Fair enough.

BTW - and this is a bit off topic - does anyone have any experience with getting Media Composer to talk to generic midi faders?  Any use?

Been toying with the idea, just for shits and giggles. 

• Wed, Aug 14 2013 12:41 PM In reply to

Some users didn't like the audiomixeur as in V6 because it was too big, they just wanted to have the possibility to activate or not the meters in order to save space, while activating the 16 tracks.

In fact, they wanted to have the choice of the small size of version 5 without meter or take place to display the meters as in version 6. It is some that ask a mixer has 16 tracks for scroller subsequently has no meaning!

I sometime use laptop, but it is quite logical that I won't have the same tools and the same space when working on a real workstation and on a laptop ! 

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 14 2013 1:04 PM In reply to

Just one question : I am reading the MC7 editin guide (I didn't try MC7 at home for the moment) : it's only speaking of 4 or 8 tracks display, but I hope it's a mistake : we can display 16 tracks isn't it ?

BTW, I looked for the way to use master fader, but I can't find anything about it : is it keyframable ? Or is it the same thing that the fader we have on the audio setting output tab ?

Greets

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller