Latest post Thu, Jul 18 2013 4:48 PM by mjolnarn. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 2:16 PM

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

AMA Plug-In for Sony NX70U?

Hiya, folks. Thanks again for the forum assists...

I scanned through and saw nothing to help me in the existing posts, so I am posting a need for help linking to AVCHD files through Avid MC 6+. I am trying to work with media shot on a Sony NX70U and every time I go to try to link I get the dreaded  -

"Unable to link to file or volume. You may need to download & install the AMA plug-in from the Avid AMA website. See Console for more information."

error message. Now, I have downloaded and installed several versions of the plug-in but no luck yet. Since there isn't one that says it is specifically designed to work with the NX70U, I am assuming I just don't have the correct plug-in version yet...  SO, two questions -

1.) Can someone please direct me to where I can download the appropriate plug-in to allow Avid MC 6 to work with NX70U AVCHD media (and I am assuming you execute the plug-in and THEN Avid will link properly to the media - nothing much else to do)?

2.) Once I get this running (fingers crossed), is it more efficient to link to individual files, folders, etc.?

As usual, thanks for the help!

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 2:53 PM In reply to

• Reanimated
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,445

Re: AMA Plug-In for Sony NX70U?

I think it's this one you need

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/en419715

did you copy the media to harddrive? you must have the exact same folder-structure as on the card.

don't think you can ama individual AVCHD files in mc6 (tried on a NX30)

Henrik

Win8 64bit, SSD systemdrives - MC 8 + Symphony option, Nitris DX, i7 3930K (GA-X79-UD7), 16GB, Quadro 2000 - Symphony 6.0.3, DeckLink Studio, HP Z400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 3:22 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Henrik:

Thanks for the link and fast reply.

Here's what I did in transferring my files... I created a folder on my drive named the day/date I shot the media ("Friday - July 12" - no quotes). Then I did a "copy" of all the files on my SD card from the camcorder and merely "pasted" them into that folder. The files are obviously names exactly what the camcorder named them, but they are also now listed udner a different series of folders to get to the files... Will this work...?

Are you suggesting I need to rename the harddrive media to match the structure of the card (which was "PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV ->STREAM")?

Thanks.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 3:48 PM In reply to

• Reanimated
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,445

yes. create a folder (shouldn't matter, but try to avoid spaces in name). Copy the "Private" folder with all subfolders to your created folder

Henrik

Win8 64bit, SSD systemdrives - MC 8 + Symphony option, Nitris DX, i7 3930K (GA-X79-UD7), 16GB, Quadro 2000 - Symphony 6.0.3, DeckLink Studio, HP Z400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 4:05 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I´m using that cam privately myself and created a small tutorial using those clips as base, I have created tons of projects using media from that cam starting with Avid 6.

Link

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:31 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Thanks again tio Henrik and Tomas for the advice. I'll give these a try and post back to let you know what happens.

Tom

• Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:36 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Tomas:

Was the "Link" at the end of your post supposed to send me to this tutorial you created...? I was thinking you'd posted something that showed us boneheads a sorta step-by-step on linking to media from the NX70U, but clicking the hyperlink sends me to Avid's "Post a Message" page...?

• Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:42 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Tom Cook:

but clicking the hyperlink sends me to Avid's "Post a Message" page...?

Forum bug, I always test my links and it worked when I tested it.

I have redone it now and tested for the second time that it works.

Post it here once more just cause

link

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 2:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Tomas: Great step-by-step tutorial, thanks. I believe I may know my I am doomed on this particular project...

You're wlak-through discusses the hidden AVF-INFO folder as being essential for AMA to properly link to the media, yes? So if I either don't have the folder visible to my system (it's marked as hidden) OR (as in my case) all I did was copy the AVCHD files to my hard drive, the AMA won't recognize the files, is that correct?

Every day after shooting I would download the AVCHD files to my hard drive but NEVER copied the "INFO" folder. I'm getting the idea that I need to copy EVERYTHING (especially the "INFO" folder) to my drive for Avid's AMA system to function, right?

Thanks again.

Tom

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 3:37 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Nice that it was useful Tom, from what I have seen lately avid have fixed the lack of that hidden folder whilst Sony haven´t done that themselves ( yet )

That info folder seems to be necessary for the Ama process to work however, that with the Avid pre version 7, I haven´t tested that workflow with Avid 7 yet, always easiest is of course to , as in my tut, just creat a folder on your drive and drag the entire card into it from your card reader or direct from the cam.

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 5:07 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Definitely going to create a folder and drag/drop EVERYTHING from now on. Tried playing around with the files I'd copied and haven't found any way to get them to link yet (am going to shoot some brief test footage and then try copying everything as you suggest to see if that works).

Now I'm off to transcode everything into *.mov files... Many thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Tom

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 11:13 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Tomas:

Okay, here’s my latest. I went ahead and shot two brief test clips with my NX70U. I then created a folder (“Test Folder”) and copied everything from my SD card directly into that folder (so the root of the folder had/has “AVF_INFO” and “PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV and then CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, STREAM (which has my two test clips), INDEX.BDM, and MOVIEOBJ.BDM.

I opened Avid Media Composer (v6.0.1) and created a TEST bin, went to FILE -> Link to AMA Volume, and then selected my “Test Folder.” Now, the good thing is that I don’t get the usual error message. It created two brand new Bins (seemingly named after my clips) and actually seemed to link to the files (at least the file NAMES came up in the Bins), but then I get the following –

“Unable to link 2 clip(s). Check console window or log file for more information.”

So it seemed to recognize my two clips but then claims not to be able to link to them... So, any idea what’s going on NOW? Sorry to keep pestering, but I did seem to get somewhat further with your help thus far…

Tom

• Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:21 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Tom, sorrry to have to ask, but you did see this below in that other thread

and bump again, also notice that 1080 50p and 1080 60p not is supported, Squeeze is free with the 64 bits Avid to do that conversion

This related to your current version 6 and also 6,5 , MC 7 can link to those files and will add adapter

Tomas 

• Thu, Jul 18 2013 1:12 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,215

Nope, didn't see that (I'm apparently one of those who reads far enough to think he knows what's happening then stops)... I do have Squeeze. Is there a format you'd suggest for importing and working with Avid?

I was under the impression that with Avid MC 6+ all this transcoding wouldn't be necessary. Seems like the same hassle(s) as before...?

Tom

• Thu, Jul 18 2013 1:48 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Tom, there are noone doing web publishings today using 1080/60P ( well , I have .. )

Neither are there any supported bluray profiles for it.

The old Dvd standard, that not are going to be changed, are not supporting it.

So, if you, despite that, want your cam to shoot 1080 / 60 ( or 50 ) P , be prepared to need to do some extra work.

Starting with Avid 7 you will be helped with that extra work.

With Avid 6,5 you have the Avid J2k codec that is available from inside of Squeeze and supports 1080 / 50 - 60 p.

With Avid 6 there are no good options on the PC side for transcodes using all those frames, on the Mac side Prores supports 1080 / 50 - 60 p

So, bottom line, get yourself a Mac, upgrade to 6,5 or ( better ) 7,0 or switch your cam to something else.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller