Latest post Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:37 AM by Job ter Burg. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:29 PM

Exception: 'CM_INVALID_TRIM'

Something I have been seeing for a while.
    If the Avid was creating media databases:

Exception: 'CM_INVALID_TRIM'
    An error occurred scanning the file

Often time this is a video mixdown .mxf file too.

these Avid video mixdown .mxf  files were fine so I would click on the button "ignore all"

- scott freeman

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:38 PM In reply to

Re: keeping the original Avid media databases that came with an Avid digital delivery

That's a bold policy, Scott, and while I hope it works for you, it's not one I'll be implementing.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:52 PM In reply to

Re: keeping the original Avid media databases that came with an Avid digital delivery

How else do you get the media file you need to work then?

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 8:01 PM In reply to

First I'd blow away the media databases, and if that didn't work I'd empty out the Avid MediaFiles folder, then add files back a few at a time until I got the error, which would give me an idea of which file was causing the problem.  Once the file was isolated, I'd either recapture, reimport, or AMA-link & transcode it.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 8:27 PM In reply to

If you have an Video mixdown (.mxf), The only way to get a video mixdown in a bin is to have  a media database.

Plus, the Media Databases  are a side car with rich lovely Avid metadata like key numbers , custom columns, over 80 columns, and unique identifiers that are not embedded in the .mxf.

if I was given a digital delivery, I want to keep all the clients stuff backed-up regardless.

-scott freeman

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:14 PM In reply to

Scott Freeman:

I want to keep the rich lovely Avid metadata like key numbers , and unique identifiers, so that later on it could save time. 

Good thing that rich metadata lives in the bin, and not exclusivly with the media file.  with that information, you can quickly recapture any corrupted media file.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:36 PM In reply to

What if this digital delivery came with a bin,  media files and media databases?

- scott freeman

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:56 PM In reply to

I was thinking about it and there is a scenario where one has video mixdowns in a sequence. and in this sequence they made several exact duration and exact start timecode video mixdowns on the sequence.

If one were to delete the media databases and 1 of those original video mixdowns was not accounted for in the media database then the avid would automatically pull the wrong video mixdown file insteadd of playing back the "Media Offline" message.

- scott freeman

• Sun, Jul 7 2013 10:40 PM In reply to

Scott Freeman:

if one were to delete the media databases and one of those original video mixdowns was not accounted for in the media database then the avid would automatically pull the wrong video mixdown file.

I've not seen that happen, where the video mixdown links to the wrong render. 

When Avid creates media it is assigned a specific MOB ID (Media OBject) which is specifically linked to THAT render file.  every single render, import, mixdown, and capture has a unique MOB ID.  the worst case is that the SPECIFIC mixdown goes offline.

Now if you're getting raw MXFs without Bins, AAFs, or ALEs, you really need to consult with who is prepping these projects with you to include AT LEAST that.

If all you have is a sequence bin, you can set the bin display to show the reference clips, which will show you all of the clips and the the metadata attached to that sequence.  So if one of your master clips goes offline, you at least have the metadata to allow you to recapture that.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 5:05 AM In reply to

Video mixdowns are a fast thing to make in the Avid if you use the same codec as the source DNxHD175x, Uncompressed 10bit, DNxHD36. It is very easy to make more then one version by placing an In and Out mark on a sequence. Each version of an Avid video mixdown masterclip, appears in the Avid Bin with the same timecode of the Avid sequence source. When a .mxf file is created, the Avid embeds "Signature Source Mob" in the "Tape" column and does not embed any timecode in the Avid video mixdown .mxf file.

Using the Bin menu "Under Set Bin Display...> Sources".

For an Avid video mixdown masterclip, the source icon by default looks like a “piece of paper” with the upper right corner of the paper folded down. There is a circle in the foreground and a rectangle in the background.

In an Avid Bin the video mixdown masterclip textual information, under the "Source File" column is the actual Avid video mixdown .mxf source file, it even has the .mxf suffix. The "Source File" column of an Avid video mixdown masterclip is not embedded metadata, by default.

An example naming convention the Avid uses for Video Mixdowns master clips:

12345678910121416182022242628303234363840,Video Mixdown,1

the Avid appended: ",Video Mixdown, 1" and then would append ",Video Mixdown, 2" for the next video mixdown version created. The video mixdown masterclip name derived from the sequence that was used as the source to generate the video mixdown.

The name of the actual .mxf file: 1234567891012141618519B2E06.mxf - a 27 character name, plus the Avid appends the .mxf suffix.

The start timecode of the video mixdown masterclip appears to be generated from the sequence, yet there is not a timecode track "TC1" in the "Tracks" Column" associated with the “Signature Source Mob” "source" icon

- scott freeman

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 6:05 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,554
    • Points 65,130

Scott Freeman:
    my rule of thumb, keep the media databases that were delivered with the Avid MediaFiles. And use with the Avid as read only. thus, not allowing the Avid to re-create media databases in the first place!!!
    This may very well be the issue, Avid has to be able to update the database files in order to work properly.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:27 AM In reply to

Scott Freeman:
    Most people make more then one version of an Avid video mixdown masterclip.

I'm skeptical of an explanation that starts out with a sweeping generalization of how "most people" work.  In most of my workflows, I mostly use video mixdowns on duplicate sequences prior to exporting, and rarely use them for any other use.

As for the rest, if not deleting databases works for you, more power to you.  One of the things I like about Media Composer is there are multiple ways to solve any problem.

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:37 AM In reply to

luca.mg:
    Avid has to be able to update the database files in order to work properly.
    Not necessarily. If the database is fine and nothing in the folder changes, Avid doesn't need to write anything to that database. The same applies when you rename your '1' folders into something other than a number, or on a shared setup, if the mediafolder 'belongs' to a different client.

But many ways lead to Rome, and I think the original advice is a bit to generic, and it won't work in all cases for everyone.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller