Latest post Thu, Aug 22 2013 2:18 PM by bobcat. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:51 PM

AVCHD via AMA in MC7

MC7 is not letting me AMA link to AVCHD MTF files. I thought the AVCHD AMA plugin was bundled with the software. Has there been a change since 6.5 that I need to know about

Ron Sussman

Ron Sussman Edits

• Sat, Jul 6 2013 2:59 PM In reply to

Re: AVCHD via AMA in MC7

looks like my own ignorance is to blame here. One must select  AVCHD MTF from the import AMA list and NOT autodetect plugin. works like a charm, problem solved

Ron Sussman

Ron Sussman Edits

• Sat, Jul 6 2013 3:20 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Hi Ron,

Could you provide your basic workflow with AVCHD files and Avid AMA. I am going to be provided with some files for my next project and have never worked with AVCHD files before. I am hoping I can use the same method I have been using for AMA and XDCAM HD and Canon MXF files.

I am considering moving to MC7 if it provides a better AVCHD experience.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:21 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 27 2012
    • Mendham, New Jersey
    • Posts 1
    • Points 30

Hi Bobcat,

I'm dealing with the same problem. There is no smoth workflow when using AVCHD media. You have to transcode to a DNxHD format and then import into Avid. In some cases the need to transcode triples the import time.

I've been a AVID MC user for over 15 years and now I'm switching to Adobe Premiere CS 6. It will ingest anything you throw at it, without transcoding.

Avid has dropped the ball on this one.

Custom system: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe MB OS Windows 7 pro X 64 SP1 MC 6.5.2 CPU i7 2600K 3.4G ram 1600 4X4=16G system HD OCZ Agility SSD 240 sataIII Nvida Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 20 2013 5:57 PM In reply to

Dont jump the gun. I am cutting a multicamera coocking show, all shot AVCHD ( MTS files), lined through AMA and the only issues I have encountered stem from my systems lack of RAM, for effective multicam. Are you linking with the correct AMA setting? I have had no issues with AVCHD. 

Ron Sussman

Ron Sussman Edits

• Tue, Aug 20 2013 6:24 PM In reply to

an impotant thing to remember is AVCHD is H.264 and is a very processor intesive codec for editing. I would personally recommend transcoding any variation of H.264 to a less processor intesve codec, like ProResLT. All the issues you are having should go away. Dispite what every NLE makers tells you, none of them handle H.264 or its varients smoothly

Ron Sussman

Ron Sussman Edits

• Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:27 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

ronsussman:

an impotant thing to remember is AVCHD is H.264 and is a very processor intesive codec for editing. I would personally recommend transcoding any variation of H.264 to a less processor intesve codec, like ProResLT. All the issues you are having should go away. Dispite what every NLE makers tells you, none of them handle H.264 or its varients smoothly

Why use ProRes instead of DNXHD? ...and the Transcoding is the problem, taking up both time and disc space.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:33 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Michael:

Hi Bobcat,

I'm dealing with the same problem. There is no smoth workflow when using AVCHD media. You have to transcode to a DNxHD format and then import into Avid. In some cases the need to transcode triples the import time.

I've been a AVID MC user for over 15 years and now I'm switching to Adobe Premiere CS 6. It will ingest anything you throw at it, without transcoding.

Avid has dropped the ball on this one.

Well, Premiere does handle the AVCHD files much better than Avid up to now, but I have been hesitant to try MC7 until it becomes and little more stable. I do hear that it may handle the AVCHD files better than before and background transcoding is possible. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and give MC7 a try when I get some quiet time.

Not quite ready to completely jump ship yet but Avid better get it's act together with 7.

• Thu, Aug 22 2013 3:28 AM In reply to

Ron,

Where is this setting that you mention?  Switching "AVCHD MTF from the import AMA list and NOT autodetect plugin"?  My "automically link to detected volumes" setting is already checked OFF.  

Thank you!

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Aug 22 2013 1:43 PM In reply to

if you have the correct AMA plugin it should be in the pull down menue of AMA types. dont use auto detect. If it doesn't show up, you need to download it

Ron Sussman

Ron Sussman Edits

• Thu, Aug 22 2013 2:18 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Pretty esoteric stuff just to get started editing. This is why so many are moving to Premiere. Not that Premiere doesn't have it's own issues, but when you make it easy to use, people will come. Avid on the other hand is like wading through a vast morass of technical swampland.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller