Latest post Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:01 AM by Andrew. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 29 2013 11:55 PM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

Trying to remove incomplete import that's eating up my hard drive.

I tried to import a Quicktime video file that I recorded from my Canon 5D Mark II DSLR onto Avid Media Composer with the intention of deleting half of it and trashing the rest of it.  Just before the upload was complete, I got an error message on my iMac saying that I have maxed out the space on my hard drive.  My video file was 2.75 GB big.

I went to Avid Media Files, then MXF and checked the video files under the 1 and 99 files and hope to find it so I could delete and trash it and retrieve back my hard drive disc space but it's nowhere to be found.  In the meantime, I have maxed out on my hard drive.

I then went to Applications, clicked on Avid Media Composer, then clicked SupportingFiles, then Avid_MediaFiles, again, I can't find it.

Finally, I went to my hard drive, clicked Users, clicked Shared, clicked AvidMediaComposer and checked both the Avid Attic and Shared Avid Projects and deleted and trashed the timeline in my project but it only did minimal freeing up space.

How else do I retrieve my lost hard driive space?  I had 118 GB of free space in my hard drive before this fiasco.  Now I only have 4 GB.

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:50 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,213
    • Points 23,820

Re: Trying to remove incomplete upload that's eating up my hard drive.

First thing   search your hard drive to see whats taking up space It could be a corrupt render file gone amuck had one once that took up 40 gig ... is your media on a second drive cause you are never to put media on os drive as the bandwith will choke your avid  let us know ..

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:51 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,213
    • Points 23,820

and next time dont import qt's ama them and then transcode them much faster...

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:56 AM In reply to

Also, empty the Trash Can.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:57 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

No, Media Composer is on my hard drive, not on a second drive.

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:58 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

I don't know what "ama" them means, does it stand for something?

And yes, I always empty my trash.

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 1:04 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

Hi after deleting my project, I restarted Avid Media Composer with a new project and believe it or not, I was able to retrieve my lost hard drive space.  Is "ama" another way of importing video to AMC?  How do I do that?  Do you advise against importing from QT video files?

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 2:56 PM In reply to

Andrew:
    I tried to upload a Quicktime video file that I recorded from my Canon 5D Mark II DSLR onto Avid Media Composer with the intention of deleting half of it and trashing the rest of it.

You don't "upload" footage to Media Composer, you import it.  Uploading is what you do to YouTube and FTP sites.  I know this is semantics, but having a common terminology helps communicate issues better between users.  

Secondly, I'm confused by the second half of your first line.  If you delete half and then trash the rest, what will you have left?  Deleting and trashing are the same thing, no?  

Andrew:
    I went to Avid Media Files, then MXF and checked the video files under the 1 and 99 files and hope to find it so I could delete and trash it and retrieve back my hard drive disc space but it's nowhere to be found.

The mxf files have very complex alphanumeric strings as their filenames.  It's near impossible to locate a specific .mxf file that corresponds to a particular imported or captured clip.  Did you use the Media Tool to try to locate the media file?

Andrew:
    I then went to Applications, clicked on Avid Media Composer, then clicked SupportingFiles, then Avid_MediaFiles, again, I can't find it.

It's not going to be there, the SupportingFiles folder holds well, supporting files - you don't want to be messing around in there and potentially deleting anything.  For the future, folders named Avid_MediaFiles (with the underscore) are system/application media files folders and your own media will never be stored there.  All media that you import or capture or create gets stored in Avid MediaFiles>MXF>n (where n is a number) - note that the difference between Avid_MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles.

Andrew:
    I went to my hard drive, clicked Users, clicked Shared, clicked AvidMediaComposer and checked both the Avid Attic and Shared Avid Projects and deleted and trashed the timeline in my project

I'm not sure how you deleted a Timeline from there as Timelines are the window within the application where your Sequences get built.  Nevertheless, you can only delete a Sequence from within a Bin.  The only thing you can delete from the location you deleted from are Bins (.avb files - which just hold metadata info) and your project (.avp) and settings files (.avs).  Deleting a Bin will only have minimal impact on your storage as you experienced.

Andrew:
    after deleting my timeline, I restarted Avid Media Composer with a new timeline and believe it or not, I was able to retrieve my lost hard drive space

I'm not sure how that happened as the bulk of your storage space is taken up by the created media files.  The size of the created media files depends on the resolution that you choose in the Import settings.  Less compression uses more space.  

Andrew:
    Is "ama" another way of importing video to AMC?  How do I do that?  Do you advise against importing from QT video files?

AMA = Avid Media Access.  It is a way of linking directly to certain types of raw media to allow you to preview and/or edit with almost instantly without having to import it.  Linking to raw sources via AMA does not create .mxf files and are not stored in your Avid MediaFiles folder.  It is a "pointer" to your actual .mov file or whatever.  

There are lots of documentation and videos online about AMA.  It seems you are relatively new to Avid being that you haven't heard of AMA.  

Personally, I still prefer to import QTs rather than use AMA for reasons too numerous to list here.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:01 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

Kenton.VanNatten:

You don't "upload" footage to Media Composer, you import it.  Uploading is what you do to YouTube and FTP sites.  I know this is semantics, but having a common terminology helps communicate issues better between users.

You'll have to forgive me, I tend to get my terminologies mixed up.  I meant "import".  Sorry about that.

Kenton.VanNatten:

Secondly, I'm confused by the second half of your first line.  If you delete half and then trash the rest, what will you have left?  Deleting and trashing are the same thing, no?

Disregard that second half, that wasn't an important part of what I'm doing.  I was referring to emptying out the trash to free up some hard drive space.

Kenton.VanNatten:

I'm not sure how you deleted a Timeline from there as Timelines are the window within the application where your Sequences get built.  Nevertheless, you can only delete a Sequence from within a Bin.  The only thing you can delete from the location you deleted from are Bins (.avb files - which just hold metadata info) and your project (.avp) and settings files (.avs).  Deleting a Bin will only have minimal impact on your storage as you experienced.

I meant to say deleting the project since my first import didn't go though.  Both the timeline and my project had the same name.

Kenton.VanNatten:

AMA = Avid Media Access.  It is a way of linking directly to certain types of raw media to allow you to preview and/or edit with almost instantly without having to import it.  Linking to raw sources via AMA does not create .mxf files and are not stored in your Avid MediaFiles folder.  It is a "pointer" to your actual .mov file or whatever.  

There are lots of documentation and videos online about AMA.  It seems you are relatively new to Avid being that you haven't heard of AMA.  

Personally, I still prefer to import QTs rather than use AMA for reasons too numerous to list here.  

Actually I took my first Avid course in 2004, just that I haven't used Avid in four years up until a couple of years ago so I'm a little rusty.  I'm sure when I check out AMA I'll remember what it was.  I'm sure it's something that was taught in one of the classes I attended.  Recently I did purchase an Avid text book for the version I'm using, when I get a chance I will reteach myself.  And I prefer importing QT as well, it's much easier, just that someone else referred to using AMA as an alternative.  Years ago, I wasn't a huge fan of capturing directly from the video camera since there were certain cameras that were not compatible with Avid (like the Canon XL1 for example).

i also figured out how to free up space on my HD when an import doesn't go all the way though.  I just log out of Avid and log back in and the HD space is automatically freed up.

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller