Latest post Mon, Aug 5 2013 4:10 PM by stevecohen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:35 AM

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

New AMA workflow/abilities and Dynamic Media Folders

With MC7 a big deal has been made about AMA media being fully managed Avid media. From a practical standpoint though, what does this change? Anything? I know that it can be seen in the media tool now, is that the only difference? Does this mean that mdb and pmr files are created in every directory that contains AMA linked files? Does deleting an AMA master clip now offer the option to delete the media as well like normal master clips? I've read the what's new guide but it doesn't say much about the new way AMA works - only that its tracked - as far as I can tell though, moving an AMA file to a different location will still make it go offline - so what does it mean by tracked?

Ona similar note, I'm having difficulty getting my head around the concept of dynamic media folders. I get that they're watch folders that will start automatic processes when I copy files to them. But what exactly would be a workflow that could take advantage of them? If someone hands me a drive with a bunch of files on it that were dumped from the camera why would I want to copy all those files to a folder to start a transcode vs. just starting the transcode from inside MC? And if I want to copy them to a different drive why wouldn't I just copy and paste them to the new drive rather than copying them to a DMf, Having the DMF copy them to the new drive, and then having to go back and delete them from the DMF? I feel like I'm missing their intended purpose. They sound cool - just not sure when to use them. 

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. 

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 8:31 PM In reply to

• Swarby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 29 2013
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Re: New AMA workflow/abilities and Dynamic Media Folders

II don't know anything about the new file management or DMG features, but in my testing with the MC 7 trial I can tell you that AMA actually works now.  You can edit off of AMA files without avid chugging, dropping frames or beach balling for 20secs before you try to play an AMA clip.  For me its a big deal since I don't have to wait hours to transcode and ingest media, I can link and just start editing right away.  MC7 even performs well playing back highly compressed H264 files, like the high profile X264 encodes my company uses to archive our work, it would just crash or beach ball before.

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:18 AM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

Anyone else? I've never really ran into AMA performance issues, but I had heard about some. Is this the main benefit then? 

What about DMF? I'm really curious how this would practically be integrated into a workflow. 

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:27 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,343
    • Points 16,510

From the little playing I've done with the DMF folders, it looks like it's a way to automate pre-ingest tasks such as transcodes and LUTs in the background, let Avid tell you when it's done, and then pull it into an assigned bin.

More useful in my daily life (so far) is doing the normal AMA>Consolidate workflow -- but in the background-- while I keep working on other stuff.

It's early days yet.

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:49 AM In reply to

I'm looking forward to testing more workflow option with the watch folders. I think if your on a network storage with multiple computers you could have one computer with say a REDRocket transcode to DNxHD and apply a LUT. Having rules per folder or per footage type means you can automate transcode types and LUTs for different media without user interaction.

I think this could help with dailies baking in the wrong LUT for offline editorial, as you can now just send the LUT with the "flat image" offline media and change the LUT if it is incorrect.

The thing that I am wondering if anyone can please tell me, how does the new AMA tracking of media in the mdb and pmr files works in Media Composer 7 and where are they located (if AMA uses that same system)? My interest is related to how mdb and pmr files work in Avid network storage for managed media (MXF) in my case this is an Editshare system with Avid Style spaces. Currently Avid creates folders inside Avid MediaFiles>MXF>"computer name"."number" to reflect the computer on the network your using. If your database corrupts or gets deleted while on another computer, the mdb and pmr files do not get recreated without 1) using the same computer that made that database/folder or 2) renaming the MXF>"computer name"."number" folder to the computer your currently on. I understand that this stops multiple computers writing the database at the same time, I wish it used the locking system (*.lck) that bins use (feature request Geeked ). First computer gets read/write by saving a lck file, when that bin is closed, the lck files is deleted and another user can take read/write of that bin. If a user has a Media Composer crash or a system crash, you have to manually delete the lck files per bin to remove the lock for all users. So if more than one user is AMA'ing to the same media, how is the AMA media tracked, do both use the same mdb and pmr data with one having read/write and the other only having read due to computer and folder name? Or is the database per computer saved inside the local system? So much to learn. Cheers, Robert
  • Mon, Aug 5 2013 1:21 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

I really have concerns about this as well. Currently I'm sitting well behind on version 5.5. We use 3 suites that all access AMA files on one network attached storage raid.  It is a synology box and it works well on a gigabit network with a variety of camera shot formats, tested up to. 50mbps.  What happens when I upgrade to MC7 and all my AMA files start to be databased?  Is my workflow and cheap shared storage days gone? Can you still access AMA files without them being within dynamic link folders? 

If you were wondering, I still have local media drives which handle avid created media and imported files, it is not a true shared storage, just multiple suites accessing the same ama linked files/volumes from a variety of locations.  The avid projects are also individual to each suite.

Please let me know if you are using a similar work flow and how it has effected you?

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 4:10 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

I share Kyle's confusion about DMF. It seems to make sense in only two scenarios: 1) You're being given cards rather than drives and 2) You don't expect to have much media. If somebody gives you a card, you have to transcode it and copy it. DMF does that automatically and should simplify things. But if you expect to have a lot of media, then you're going to want to organize that media into folders and that means a single DMF folder makes no sense. So you'll make many such folders and after a while, it seems to me that it would be easier to just do a background transcode.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller