Latest post Wed, Jul 13 2022 11:04 PM by Job ter Burg. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 17 2015 3:50 PM In reply to

Re: Nudge audio to adjust sync in subclip?

I don't know any faster method.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 21 2015 7:40 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 433
    • Points 4,815

Another 4-perf / 3-perf project issue:  A group clip composed of perf-slipped clips from a 3-perf project will not be in sync when opened in a 4-perf project.  The individual clips will still be in sync in the 4-perf project, but with the group clips, the perf adjustments present in the 3-perf project will not be present in the 4-perf project.  Once realizing this, I moved all of our projects to 3-perf.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.15 / MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 1 2016 9:49 AM In reply to

• PieterS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 26 2013
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Job ter Burg:

There's a great feature for this, it's called Perf Slip, which lets you correct sync in quarter frame increments. It works in the source monitor, not in the record monitor, and it only works on synced clips. So you correct sync by loading the synced clips into the source monitor, and then you may add them to sequences.

However, Perf Slip is only available in 35mm film projects, as the sound needs to be marked as belonging to such a project when captured or imported.

There's no need to work with actual film, it just requires you to tick the Film options box when creating the project. And, again, you need to bring the sound into that project; if you bring it into a non-35mm non-film project, Perf Slip will not work (it will tell you that you cannot perf slip because audio addressing is not available, or something like that).

Does anyone have an idea if Avid is planning to make this possible for non-film projects? Right now not being able to fix sync issues without resyncing and making new subclips is pretty annoying.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 8:02 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 433
    • Points 4,815

Job ter Burg:

Not that I know. There needs to be actual audio to slip into place.

As for 3-perf vs 4-perf: When an audio file gets imported into a “film” project, it actually gets an additional frame rate attached to it. It is (perf x fps) = audio address rate. Importing into a 24fps/3 perf will now have a 72fps address rate, while a 4 perf project will have 96fps address rate. This most likely explains why you can’t slip clips between perf project types as the “address rates” do not match. A 3 perf project will slip sync one third frame boundaries and a 4 perf project on quarter frame boundaries. 

You can play back audio in any project type, but slipping sync is unique to the project types into which the audio was originally imported. 

Is there a column to reveal this 72fps / 96 fps "address rate" so that when you get bin & media created elsewhere you know which perf setting to apply to your project so that slip by perf works?

Also was the slip perf incompatibility issue fixed?  I don't see anything wonky slipping perfs between 3-perf and 4-perf projects in version 8.4.5.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.15 / MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 18 2020 5:10 PM In reply to

• ykt28403
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 22 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,355

Job ter Burg:
    However, Perf Slip is only available in 35mm film projects, as the sound needs to be marked as belonging to such a project when captured or imported.

Can I create a separate 35mm project, import the audio into it, sync, subclip and perf slip, then bring the perf slipped subclips into a non-film project?

Media Composer 8.9.2Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 20152.7 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 1867 MHz DDR3INtel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 18 2020 5:12 PM In reply to

ykt28403:

Job ter Burg:

Can I create a separate 35mm project, import the audio into it, sync, subclip and perf slip, then bring the perf slipped subclips into a non-film project?

I think so, yes. But even easier, continue cutting in that 35mm project.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 18 2020 5:18 PM In reply to

• ykt28403
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 22 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,355

Thanks! Yeah, our main project in which we've been cutting for over a year is non-film so didn't want to mess with that.

Media Composer 8.9.2Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 20152.7 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 1867 MHz DDR3INtel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 13 2022 9:14 AM In reply to

I think this would be a fantastic feature. Would save me many hours.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Wed, Jul 13 2022 5:24 PM In reply to

PieterS:
    Does anyone have an idea if Avid is planning to make this possible for non-film projects? Right now not being able to fix sync issues without resyncing and making new subclips is pretty annoying.

Many of us have been asking for proper timeline-based subframe audio slipping for years - decades even. Despite Avid making Protools it seems that they are unable to add this feature to MC. Instead they waste their time changing around menus and adding colourful frames to thumbnails. I am bitterly disappointed with their recent updates. Nothing of substance for years it seems. It should be as simple as holding down alt when slipping left or right in the timeline to access subframe slipping, regardless of what project type you are in. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 13 2022 11:04 PM In reply to

It's right there in the Effects Palette: Audio Slip. Or in the Source Settings, if you want to do it on the Source side.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller