Latest post Tue, Nov 19 2013 11:44 PM by rbradleyc. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 25 2013 7:36 PM

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Videoguys' PC & Mac System Recommendations for Avid Media Composer 7

In addition to its new low price, Avid Media Composer now has a much lower overall total cost of ownership.  You do not require an expensive HP/Dell workstation or Mac Pro to edit video with Media Composer.  Thousands of video editors all over the world are editing video using our DIY 9 builds as a guideline. Our DIY X Ivy Bridge Budget Build costs less then $1,500 and runs Avid Media Composer 6.5 just great! You can edit on a laptop or Mac Book Pro, as well as an iMac. Media Composer does not require any special hardware to run just as long as you stick to the basic requirements outlined on the Media Composer Product Pages.

The major determining factor on how much computer you will actually need is the format of your source footage (SD or HD). Editing DSLR, GoPro or AVCHD footage takes a lot of horsepower because these formats are very compressed. The video quality is spectacular but you need a powerful computer to work with the media. Fortunately, you can find these powerful computers everywhere today. Our DIY 9.5 Avid build is a killer machine and it will handle multiple layers of HD footage. It's not overkill, but it's not a budget system either. We feel it really hits the sweetspot for performance and value. Just add video storage, and your off to the races! Here are our basic guidelines for editing the HD footage mentioned above using Media Composer.

Videoguys' DIY Build for Avid that we updated in anticipation of Media Composer 7:

Videoguys' DIY9.5 Avid 2013
    Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro Model $309.00
    Processor Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz $569.00
    RAM 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8x4 GB kit $259.00
    GPU PNY Quadro K2000 $499.95
    Boot Drive Crucial M4 256GB SSD $199.00
    Video Storage  G-Tech G-SPEED Q RAID 5 or G-Tech G-RAID RAID 0 Available at Videoguys.com
    Case Antec Nine Hundred ATX  $65.00
    Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX  $139.00
    CPU Cooler COOLERMASTER 212EVO $29.00
    Blu-ray Burner Pioneer BDR-208 $90.00
    OS Win 7 Pro 64-bit $129.00
    TOTAL PRICE   $2,287.95

Processor:
     Intel i7 Quad core (or Hex). We feel strongly that the i7s are the best possible solution for video editing today. You can get by with an i5, but it's going to be a much more sluggish editing environment.  If you are on a PC, check out our DIY 9 article.  We recommend ASUS motherboards and suggest that you stick with the same chipsets we used - these combo’s are tried and true.

Operating System: Avid Media Composer 6.5 (and Media Composer 7) is a 64 bit application, which requires a 64 bit operating System. For the Mac that means Mac OS X Lion (10.7.x) or Mountain Lion (10.8.x) (64-bit). For the PC we strongly recommend Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. While Windows 8 may be the latest and greatest OS, we are not yet recommending it for our video editing products at this time.  Win 8 is not approved for use with Media Composer 6.5 and Media Composer 7 will be the FIRST version supported under Win 8 so we'd rather wait on that recommendation.

RAM: 8GB of RAM is the bare minimum.  As a rule of thumb, we recommend 3GB of RAM per CPU core, so for best results with an i7 quad core CPU, get 12GB (triple channel) or 16GB (dual or quad channel) of RAM. If you do complex projects with lots of layers and filters and HD or Stereoscopic, go with 32GB.

GPU: This is where the editing application can get finicky. We strongly recommend NVIDIA graphics cards for video editing. If you are getting an iMac or Mac Book Pro, you definitely want to step up to the NVIDIA graphic cards.  If you are on a PC, we recommend getting an NVIDIA Quadro card. The new Quadro K2000 is based on the latest Kepler technology, has 2GB of video RAM and is a great choice for under $500.  If you are getting a Windows based Laptop, get one that offers an NVIDIA graphics card as well.

Storage: For your system drive you can use a 7200RPM hard drive or an SSD. We've become big fans of SSDs for our boot drive. With an SSD (or the Apple Fusion drive) your programs will pop right open, which is very cool. Editors hate waiting for Media Composer or Photoshop or any other content creation software to open with a standard hard drive.   

For your video storage, a single 7200RPM drive will allow you to do basic editing, even with HD footage but we recommend a dedicated RAID0 or RAID5 for your video projects and media. You don't want your storage to become your bottleneck. As drives fill up, they slow down, as it takes more spin cycles to find the media.  RAID 0 or 5 gives you plenty of through-put as the media is store in a specific pattern on the drive to handle even the most complex HD timelines. (See our Video Storage recommendations below).

What iMac configuration does the Videoguys' recommend for Avid?

The latest 27" iMac does a fantastic job of running the latest Apple, Adobe and Avid software. You'll get outstanding performance and be able to easily handle AVCHD and DSLR footage with some pretty multiple layers of video and fairly complex timelines. We even have customers editing RED footage on their iMacs and MBP w Retina - WOW!

We get asked all the time what kind of computer you need to run the latest NLE software. On the Windows side this is a complicated answer with many options. With a Mac it's easier to answer. If you go with the higher end model iMacs or Mac Book Pros with i7 quad-core processors you will get excellent results.

If you want the best configuration for a new iMac for video editing, Videoguys recommends the 27 inch iMac with:

• Intel Core i7 processor
    • 32GB RAM
    • 1TB Fusion Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX GPU

This is a fully loaded machine, and it's going to cost you about $3K, but it will run any Mac based NLE great and has all the power you need for all HD tapeless workflows.

If are on a tight budget the first place to look to save is by dropping down to the GTX 675MX GPU which will save you $150, the next place to cut is your RAM, down to 16G, but we can't recommend going down to just 8GB. That brings the cost down below $2500. If you are serious about editing video on a new iMac, that's the bottom. While you can configure the 21.5" model with an i7 processor, you are limited to the GTX 650M GPU, which only has 512MB of RAM, which just isn't going to cut it.

read more...

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Sun, May 26 2013 5:50 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,635

Re: Videoguys' PC & Mac System Recommendations for Avid Media Composer 7

I also recommend Gary's DIY 9.5 system, since my system is functionally equivalent.

When I first assembled the P9X79 Pro system, I was also configuring other systems including an Asus P8Z77 Premium. Given some curiosity, I tested various applications on the Sandy Bridge vs Ivy bridge platforms. All systems had 32 gigs of memory and used SSD hard drives, even data drives.

Now, if you ask the question how well does Avid run on any given platform, the answer is a definitive "depends". Are you trans-coding media, viewing multiple effects in real time, rendering, dealing with quick time, or reading the help file?

Sometimes your task benefits from the GPU, the core clock speed, the number of cores, the hard drive bandwidth, or a combination of the above. So given how you drive your system, one solution might be better for you, and not for someone else.

The fundamental difference between the Sandy / Ivy bridge systems is that Ivy Bridge has 4 cores that are clocked slightly faster, and Sandy Bridge has 6 cores, a slower clock, but better internal memory bandwidth.

In Avid terms, Sandy Bridge trans-codes and renders faster (unless you are dealing with a single threaded quicktime issue). Multicam and effect playback relies a lot on the GPU and hard drive bandwidth.

After testing these systems for my workflow, Sandy Bridge was the clear choice for Avid, but Ivy Bridge was slightly more favorable for Photoshop CS6.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 3 2013 6:39 PM In reply to

videoguy:
    As a rule of thumb, we recommend 3GB of RAM per CPU core

Gary, does this 3:1 recommendation apply to hyperthreading?   I have a dual hex-core Z800, which gives me 12 actual cores.   I have 24GB of memory, so already I should get more memory under your 3:1 rule of thumb.   But with hyperthreading, HP claims you get the equivalent of 24 cores.  24 cores actually show up in the device manager.  So does this mean I should ideally have 72 gigs with hyperthreading? 

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:50 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

There are motherboard and chipset limitations as to how much memory is supported on the board. Different applications leverage multiprocessors to various levels. Opening Windows task manager gives a glimpse of how your resources are utilized.

Generally 32gigs are the limits on most boards. not all.

It is worth noting that OpenCL processing is appearing on more applications. The Latest Intel Haswell cores have enhanced OpenCL benefits.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Intel/13-2142/index.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intels-haswell-an-htpc-perspective

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Jun 5 2013 2:09 AM In reply to

TVJohn:
    Generally 32gigs are the limits on most boards. not all.

Theoretically, the z800 supports up to 192GB of ram, though I can't imagine any program using that much.   I'm just trying to determine if it is worth it for me to jump from 24 to 32 gigs, and how the z800's hyperthreading plays into the equation?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Jun 5 2013 3:06 AM In reply to

There have been posts that people have not noticed any significant improvement above 12 or 16GB's. I recall some suggesting a performance decrease when going to 32 from 16.

Happy on 8 here Wink

• Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:02 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

I've noticed that the fewer physicial sticks of memory used to cover the need, the better. There are variables with each stick, variables with the board traces, sockets, etc.

I believe two sticks of eight gig each should carry the day, unless of course you have triple channel CPU and Board. (X58)

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:34 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

The 3:1 ratio is for physical cores. We don;t count the hyperthreading for this.

Dual hex = 12 physical cores. So we would recommend going with 36GB

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:35 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

I believe those posts are from the pre-64 bit era. With 64 bit programs running on 64 bit OS, you can take advantage of massive quantities of RAM.

Gary

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:57 PM In reply to

videoguy:

The 3:1 ratio is for physical cores. We don;t count the hyperthreading for this.

Thanks for clarifying this, Gary.

• Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:40 PM In reply to

• Ceci
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 13 2013
    • Sunny Lalaland, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

videoguy:

RAM: 8GB of RAM is the bare minimum.  As a rule of thumb, we recommend 3GB of RAM per CPU core, so for best results with an i7 quad core CPU, get 12GB (triple channel) or 16GB (dual or quad channel) of RAM.

About to purchase an iMac 27" 3.4GHz quad core with 16GB RAM.  Does this need to be 4 X 4GB RAM or 2 X 16GB RAM?  I don't know if we will upgrade to 32GB RAM someday, but not doing it for the initial purchase.

Can't find any specs on the Avid website with regards to this specifically.

I read this recommendation for 3GB PER CORE, so wonder if I need to have at least 4 X 3GB (or in my case, 4 X 4GB, since my boss is willing to buy 16GB of RAM).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ceci

iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 4:47 PM In reply to

• Ceci
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 13 2013
    • Sunny Lalaland, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

Answering this myself here in case anyone needs to know in the future :)

I called Videoguys and they recommend 2 X 8GB RAM. 

In the future, should you want to improve performance, you can then add 2 X 8GB RAM to go into the last two RAM slots.  No matter what, RAM needs to be added in equal pairs.  If you bought 4 X 4GB RAM, you would need to toss 2 X 4GB RAM and then purchase 2 X 8GB RAM, which would be a waste of the 2 X 4GB RAM.  The gentleman I spoke with told me that it does not make a difference in performance whether you get 4 X 4GB RAM or 2 X 8GB RAM.

The iMac 27" i7 has 4 total slots for RAM.

iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 5:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ceci

The i7 is a single CPU chip with 4 cores and 1 memory controller. It has dual channel memory lanes so 2 DIMMs will give you just as much performance as 4 DIMMs.  

If you want to be able to upgrade in the future, buy the 2x8 GB. Otherwise 4 x 4GB will probably cost less.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 4:00 PM In reply to

newyankee:
    In Avid terms, Sandy Bridge trans-codes and renders faster (unless you are dealing with a single threaded quicktime issue).

What would be the advice when you run into the single threaded quicktime issue? 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Nov 15 2013 8:25 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,635

Jeroen van Eekeres:

newyankee:
    In Avid terms, Sandy Bridge trans-codes and renders faster (unless you are dealing with a single threaded quicktime issue).

What would be the advice when you run into the single threaded quicktime issue? 

For single threaded processes, the CPU clock speed will define the relative differences between any two CPU choices.

Personally, I tend to optimize for multi threaded processes. As time goes on, original single thread code tends to get upgraded to multi thread capability. Apple could easily do this for quicktime on a PC, but I don't think it is much of a priority for them.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller