Latest post Fri, May 24 2013 2:06 PM by producer1302. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 10 2013 2:49 PM

Timecode missing on AAF imports. Help?

So, I've got some AMA files I need to bring into DS from Media Composer. I open the files in Media Composer just fine. The files have their original timecode and everything. Then I try to send to DS via an AAF (consolidating the media and transcoding it to DNX 145). The file comes into DS just fine. Everything is great, except the timecode always starts at 0:00:00:00. Am I missing something?

I did this same thing about a year ago and the timecode came over fine, so I'm thinking maybe I have forgotten a step or am doing one step differently than I am supposed to. Any ideas?

• Sat, May 11 2013 12:55 AM In reply to

Re: Timecode missing on AAF imports. Help?

I can't offer you a workaround because I have not dealt with this personally, but I have seen discussions of the problem. Check out if there is a knowledge base article on it.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Tue, May 14 2013 5:54 PM In reply to

• jpheiser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham, Alabama, USA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 360

If you never want to "recapture" the media in DS, you can use this method.

Make sure the clips in MC have a source name assigned, like a tape number. I usually use "card1" or some such. Then drag them all to a sequence and send to DS. Then check "force creation of external tape sources." This should preserve the time code.

Trouble with this method is you can never "recapture" the media (according to other users - I've never tried) because the system will be looking for a tape source. My workaround is simply keeping the MXF on external hard drives in case the project ever resurfaces, then just copy it back onto the DS storage. This of course can be laborious, especially with large projects, but it's working okay for us.

You might also query the DS-List on googlegroups. There are a lot of folks over there who don't visit this forum as often.

http://groups.google.com/group/ds-list?hl=en

DSv11 - MC8.4.2 - HP Z800 - AJA - Sonnet Fusion 8TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 14 2013 6:12 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,260

You can also make an AFE from MC instead of AAF. If you transcode the timeline to DNxHD 145 you then copy the MXF files to your DS media storage then you can use the AFE to link to the MXF files. This should keep original TC of the clips
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 24 2013 2:06 PM In reply to

The "fake tape" solution worked for me, just to let everyone know. Thanks! I tried making an AFE and it had the same problem.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller