Latest post Mon, May 6 2013 7:10 PM by Shane Ross. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 3 2013 7:30 PM

• Martin Hommel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 7 2011
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Final Cut 7 to Avid 5.5 Mixed Framerates Workflow

Hi,

i just took over a project that was edited in Final Cut Pro 7. I now have to finish it on Avid Media Composer 5.5.

I´m posting here to see if the workflow that I´m thinking about is correct and won´t give me any more headaches later on.

Final delivery is 1080i50.

The footage is mostly Canon 5d MarkII H264. Some ProRes 422 (don´t know why, probably shot with a different camera)

The problem is, that the Final Cut Sequences contain Mixed Framerates Footage. Most is 25p, but some material is 60i.

Most Sequences are 50i but some are 60i.

I can export the Sequences in Final Cut via Automatic Duck, no problem. Although there is of course a warning due to the mixed frame rates.

In Media Composer i can AMA link to the 25p in my 50i project. But not the 30i footage. So I made another 1080i60 project, were i open the bins and AMA link the rest of the 30i footage. 

Then I open up the bin again in my 50i project and consolidate/transcode everything.

Is there an easy way to relink to the AMA footage since most Sequences use footage from different paths? Would it be possible to make two Sequences for all the footage in Final Cut, one for 50i one for 60i, bring those into avid and transcode all in one go. Then relink the footage from the already edited sequences to the now transcoded material?

Any tips and tricks and greatly apreciated. It wasn´t my idea to shoot multiple framerates :)

Thank´s a lot and have a nice weekend.

Martin

AVID Media Composer(+Symphony Option) 2018.3 on HP Z420 Xeon e5 1650V2 16GB Quadro K2000 Win10 Pro 64bit [view my complete system specs]

Martin Hommel

Freelance Editor

München, Germany

• Mon, May 6 2013 11:15 AM In reply to

Re: Final Cut 7 to Avid 5.5 Mixed Framerates Workflow

You can only consolidate if the media is native to Avid (so H264 is out and ProRes only on a Mac)

Consolidate won;t change framerate as it just copies media. Transcode can chaneg frame rate but you are warned it will not be re-linkable as you are loosing the timecode references.

The nornmal process is to consolidate/Transcode in a project that matches the framerate then take those .new clips in a bin to your working project and use them at their original framerate (avid will apply motion adpaters)

You would then render up those motion adapters right at the end n what ever conversion quality you needed.

What you are doing is possible but complex and I';d be tempted to throw it back to an FCP legacy suite rather than take on a lot of additinal work and complexity.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, May 6 2013 7:10 PM In reply to

Re: Final Cut 7 to Avid 5.5 Mixed Framerates Workflow

I've tried this...and it takes so much time to figure out, you are better off sticking with FCP 7 to edit.

You'll have to separate out from the cut all the different frame rates.  Then make new sequences that match the frame rates of the footage. Paste the proper frame rate footage into those sequences. BUT OH NO! because of the frame rate difference, suddenly there are gaps between most of the footage...1 frame gaps. All those need to be fixed manually.  Maybe after you use the duck to get the footage over, and then transcode everything. 

This will take days to sort through and fix JUST to get it from FCP into Avid where you'll be ready to continue to edit.  Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller