Latest post Fri, May 3 2013 5:32 AM by AndrewAction. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:37 PM

Typewriter Effect for Text, How-To

I have a segment of text that I created in MC 5. I made the text in Marquee and I want the text to have a typewriter effect, each letter appearing after the other in the paragraph. I've gone to scripts and tried the type-on script but when I double click on the script it gives me an error report and shuts down Marquee. Is the Avid software data for the scripts corrupt/missing or am I just doing something wrong?

Any tips would be appreciated, I am really new to the software and am just looking for an easy typewriter effect.

XP Professional Version 2002, SP3 Intel Xeon 5150 @2.66 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 1 2013 6:27 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Typewriter Effect for Text, How-To

Patrick Hargrove:
    I have a segment of text that I created in MC 5.

Patrick,

As you have MC 5 it is not certain that you have Avid FX (shipped previously with boxed copies of the 32bit version of MC - now a free download with MC 6.x) Previously it was part of the Productivity Suite of Plugins (now no longer available) Can still be bought from BorisFX inc. But as a newcomer I doubt that you are prepared to spend more money - yet.

What I am leading up to is that with Avid FX the tyewriter effect would be very easy to accomplish from start to finish. In fact, I have a couple of video tutorials on just that topic.
    I am not at all sure how you do it in Marquee, BUT I am sure it can be done and someone will probably drop in here shortly and explain it to you.

Good luck with your continued learning of MC.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 1 2013 6:48 AM In reply to

I cannot recall having a problem with Marquee's Text Type on scripts in any version of MC 5 with XP SP3. Given the chance I would follow Douglas's suggestion and do it with Avid FX (if you have it)

For me the trick with Marquee was to set a duration of your Marquee timeline (to 30 frames for 15 letters and 5 spaces for example) for the type on and render that. Then save to full graphic separately. You end up with 2 clips to edit into your Avid timeline.

Somewhere on the site here there are a couple of Marquee tutorial's by Woody I think

• Wed, May 1 2013 12:56 PM In reply to

Or try the BCC Type On Text, from the BCC 3D Objects folder.

• Thu, May 2 2013 11:01 PM In reply to

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I checked for the BCC 3D objects folder under the effects tab (the purple rectangle), and there isn't an option for anything BCC. My best guess is that I'll have to use Marquee, so could someone tell me how to navigate to Woody's tutorials?

When I use Marquee I follow these steps, which are probably wrong:

-Go into effect mode, click on the title clip in my timeline (30 sec) and promote title to Marquee.

-Toolsets>basicanimation to get the timeline showing

-Mark in and out points from 00:00:00:00 to 00:00:04:29 (I can't figure how to expand the timeline beyond 5 seconds)

-Click on the animation mode icon

-Window>Scripts>Avidscripts>Text>Typeon

When I double click on "Typeon" Marquee quits and gives me an error report.

XP Professional Version 2002, SP3 Intel Xeon 5150 @2.66 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 3 2013 5:32 AM In reply to

Patrick Hargrove:
    I can't figure how to expand the timeline beyond 5 seconds)
    In Marquee select Marquee help, Select the Search Tab, Type in Duration, Click Display topics. Select Changing Title duration.
    Patrick Hargrove:
    so could someone tell me how to navigate to Woody's tutorials?
    I would suggest a Google Search on "Avid marquee tutorials" The first page of 10 had interesting stuff to get started with.

Here I set the timeline duration to 30 frames
    Created a text object
    Selected the object
    In the Scripts Library window selected the Scripts tab.
    Selected Avid Scripts
    Selected Text
    Double clicked on Typeon

I see under the title window a prompt saying Script Typeon ran successfully.

File drop down menu, Save to Bin ... Give it a name and watch Marquee render the 30 frames.

Save the whole title separately.
    Edit the 30 frame animation clip and then the title clip at the duration you want into your timeline.

This was done in MC 6.5.2 but from memory it has been exactly the same method for me since MC 1

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller