Latest post Wed, May 1 2013 10:03 AM by Joachim Claus. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 6:51 PM

• Jay Kadlec
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 20 2012
    • United States
    • Posts 15
    • Points 240

Stabilize Queue

This is a suggestion for a feature to add in to the next Avid Media Composer update-

Would it be possible for a stabilization effect to be put onto multiple clips before it goes through and analyzes? Making a queue for stabilization basically.
     This would greatly help the company I currently work for. We primarily focus on filming weddings and have 3 cameras running throughout the main events (ceremony, toasts, dances, etc.). We offer our clients long forms of the ceremony and reception, which requires many clips to be stabilized. The current workflow is for us to go through and mark them (adding an edit to the track above) if it needs to be stabilized. After marking we sit there dragging stabilizations to multiple tracks for hours. It would be super helpful to be able to mark them (using an official 'this needs to be stabilized' marker) and then hit stabilize leaving avid to do its thing stabilizing multiple clips without needing me to babysit it.
     A subfeature of that would be for the stabilize to (basically) create handles. To explain this I'll give another example of what we do- For the ceremony we have crossfades between every clip and because of this we have to extend each side of the clip (to cover the amount of the crossfade) and then apply the stabilize. After the stabilize has finished then we slip the clips back to the proper length. We have to do this because otherwise the stabilization will try to stabilize both clips at once and will be wonky. So for the subfeature have the option so it can auomate this step as well.

These suggestions would greatly improve our workflow and make it so we can always be editing instead of babysitting. 
    Thank you for your time and I hope you take my suggestion into consideration. 

Operating System: MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1--- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban 45nm Technology--- RAM: 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-11-11-28... [view my complete system specs]

Jay Kadlec jaykadlec productions | coastline studios

• Wed, May 1 2013 10:03 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 908
    • Points 11,625

Re: Stabilize Queue

Hello Jay,

there is a seperate application available (not for free) from PRODAD, called Mercalli Version 3 SAL (SAL stands for stand alone). This version can run a bunch of clips in batch mode. I have tested it with Sony XDCAM formatted files, which can be imported directl into Mercally. The stabilized (exported) files are AVC MP4 files, which can be AMA-linked for Media Composer.

You can select the quality and you can control the stabilization method by selecting different types, e.g. a "floating" camera or a tripod fixed camera, etc. The resu1lts are very good. I used the previous version 2 of the software as plug-in for MC for some years and prefer it compared to Avid's stabilization-FX.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller