Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:08 PM by mjolnarn. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 1:28 AM

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 4 2010
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Avid crashes on import of files with avc1 codec

I am trying to work with Quicktime files that have the 'avc1' codec. I used to be able to import these through AMA for transcode without any trouble, only a few weeks ago.

The only thing that has been different since then is that I upgraded to 6.5.2 from version 6, so wondering if there is a bug with this codec in the update. I have tested the exact same files I imported without trouble in the older version, with no luck, so I know there is nothing wrong with the files.

What happens if I bring them in via AMA is that they load fine, but when I try to click it to view, Avid freezes. Just a spinning beach ball that goes on forever. Same with just trying to transcode immediately without viewing. I can't even hit command+ to cancel the transcode, it's just completely locked up.

I have downloaded and installed all AMA plugins on the Avid website, especially the AVCHD, which I am assuming is the category this codec belongs to. But if I try and bring the file in directly via File -Import, same thing happens, so I'm not sure it's just an AMA issue. If I leave that frozen import window open long enough I get an error saying Warning - A serious error has occurred, and it is reocmmended you restart the system immediately.

The footage is on external drives, but I have tried troubleshooting different harddrives, even local, tried various files from various dates, all that share the same codec and that I have transcoded before in Avid so that I know they used to work.

I opened one file in Quicktime and re-exported it with a different codec. That worked, but I can't do that double process on all these files, that is going to take way too much time and work.

The only solution I can see right now is to try and downgrade my Avid to version 6. But I am not even sure that is doable as I purchased Avid for this version, and the older version was just a trial.

Any suggestions? Please help?

I'm running Avid MediaComposer 6.5.2 on a Mac Os X version 10.7.5 Lion.

Avid MediaComposer 8.8 | macOS Sierra 10.12 | MacBook Pro 2.8GHz i7 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:13 AM In reply to

Re: Avid crashes on import of files with avc1 codec

Hi, If you haven't done so already, try a brand new User Setting in a brand new project. Look for someone on a MAC to test one of your problem files on V6.5.2. Someone may volunteer. This should be of great interest within Avid since this is about a problem with latest release on the heels of a trial.  Keep this on front page until it is resolved... good luck.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:37 AM In reply to

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Just tried with new user settings and new project. Same result.

Did you mean try someone on a PC to test? I am already on a MAC..

If someone wants to try it for me on their system please give a shout out. Some of these files are so short/small that they can easily be emailed. Thanks-

Avid MediaComposer 8.8 | macOS Sierra 10.12 | MacBook Pro 2.8GHz i7 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 9 2013 5:57 AM In reply to

Hi Katie,

Quicktime_OPServer.exe has stopped working

This issue looks like it already came up here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/108964/632208.aspx

I noticed with MediaInfo that Audio/Codec ID = sowt, which was mentioned above--you are right- that file imports and AMAs well in v5.5.3 on PC.

Now you will need some expert advice from the Avid-savvy folks here...

good luck,

Telegram!

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 9 2013 1:26 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Telegram!:

I noticed with MediaInfo that Audio/Codec ID = sowt, which was mentioned above--you are right- that file imports and AMAs well in v5.5.3 on PC.

But this is the Mac side of the board, the OP is also using a Mac and also version 6,5 Huh?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Mar 9 2013 2:50 PM In reply to

Yes, the OP is on a MAC. I had a chance to try one of the problem files on both my systems: Vista Biz 64bit PC v5.5.3 (it worked) and on my Win7 64 bit PC v6.5.2 which did NOT work & had the same difficulty described... it is a mystery. This would be a good case to solve, Tomas!

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 4:29 PM In reply to

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Thanks for testing the file and doing research Telegram!

I downgraded to 6.01. The trial version, as my Avid license is for the newest version.

In 6.01 files load and transcode without trouble both via File Import and through AMA.

Although that is a temporary emergency workaround right now to get my media transcoded, but the problem is unsolved.

What is the best way to get Avids attention on this? It's obvious this is an issue that lies in their latest and current release of Avid Media Composer, both on MAC and PC, and should be addressed immediately.

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 5:55 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Despite what Telegram is saying users are linking avchd files all the time successfully, also when using 6,52

Do you have a file to share with the community, if not, you can pm me a link.

Also, be sure to have the latest ama plugins installed.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 6:44 PM In reply to

Katie H:

I have downloaded and installed all AMA plugins on the Avid website, especially the AVCHD, which I am assuming is the category this codec belongs to. But if I try and bring the file in directly via File -Import, same thing happens, so I'm not sure it's just an AMA issue. If I leave that frozen import window open long enough I get an error saying Warning - A serious error has occurred, and it is reocmmended you restart the system immediately.

>>>>>

Any suggestions? Please help?

I'm running Avid MediaComposer 6.5.2 on a Mac Os X version 10.7.5 Lion.

Hi Katie, You're welcome, glad to help.

I have my own AVCHD material that works fine with AMA, so all I can say is that on my PC v6.5.2 system, YOUR file, whatever it is, crashes my PC system pretty much as you described using AMA or regular Import, and it works fine via AMA or regular Import on my v5.5.3 PC system. 

For help, work with Tomas and anyone else-- perhaps they or the moderators can "escalate" your issue to the folks within Avid. If all else fails, reach out to the Customer Advocate, Marianna Montague-- she is great.

I used the Green filmstrip icon above to upload images seen here-- not sure if files like yours are permitted, though.

Here's two Error messages:

good luck!

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 6:57 PM In reply to

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

mjolnarn/Tomas,

I am not referring to any standard avchd file. I am having trouble with a specific codec called avc1.

All my AMA plugins are installed and up to date.

Here is a sample file if you want to test yourself. Please let me know if you have any luck.

http://katiehetland.com/uploads/Quicktime_avc1_codec.zip

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:43 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Hi Katie, how are these files created / from where do they come

Tomas 

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:29 PM In reply to

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

The files are transferred directly from the camera, in this case a Sony NX5U. It's a prosumer camera used as an additional camera in the field for a reality series that this is for. There's a few other cameras in the same cup of tea that has also been used, but they all deliver in the same codec, avc1.

I know there is nothing wrong with the files as I have used this workflow for months before installing the update.

One note, under the 'video' tab in the Avid browser window in the 6.01 version, when linked via AMA before transcode, Avid lists the file as H264. Not sure if Avid 6.5 listed it as the same as I have currently uninstalled that version. Although I'm sure avc1 is some proprietary Sony pro/consumerversion of the AVCHD, it's weird that Avid doesn't read it as that but instead as H264. Though not sure if this has anything to do at all with the issues I am having.

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:45 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, thanks, just curious why they are coming out of that cam as mov files, I have a feeling that they have been converted to movfiles by someone, Sony Avchd files and cams usually have a quite different structure.

Tomas 

• Sun, Mar 10 2013 10:51 PM In reply to

• Katie H
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles/Norway
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

You're right, the files have been taken through Final Cut's Log And Transfer tool from MTS into Quicktime, but with the native codec preserved, just put into a .mov wrapper.

My first thought would be that that process had corrupted them somehow, but that theory doesn't hold up when it is obvious the files have been (and still are) working flawlessly in all earlier versions of Avid. The only thing different now is the update of Media Composer.

I was hoping there would be some sort of plugin or update or workaround that fixes this. If it can't be resolved i'm going to have to stay in the 6.01 version for all the transcoding.

• Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:21 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, thanks, if you don´t have the origin card content copied someplace, you should have imho, and those converted clips are all you have, you seem to have found a workflow for yourself using older Avid versions or using external applications for transcodes.

For the future, please tell the shooters to not touch the content before copying it to a safe place.

That origin content will link very well using the workflow " link to ama volume "

About that FCP conversion by the way, it should have been interesting to have had a look at the origin file, when linking the file into AE and playing it on a PC station I can see some very heavy noise in the forest in the background when zooming that one in.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller