Latest post Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:21 PM by jwrl. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:34 AM

Title color issues and how to save the title

Hey everyone, 

I am new to avid media composer. I am taking a class on how to use the program. However I am moving much faster than the rest of the class. I have figured out how to make titles within avid. However my wite text turns grey when I add into the timeline. I am wondering how to avoid that. And also in what file format would be best. I want to say it's MPEG 50 MXF. But I am not sure. 

Filed under: ,
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:09 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Title color issues and how to save the title

bradley.ziegler:
    my wite text turns grey when I add into the timeline.
    It sounds like your white text is actually standard white, while you have super white in your background video.  Standard white on Avid, in common with standard broadcast practice, is roughly 10% lower than the maximum white that can be handled by the system.  This is deliberate and ensures that transient overloads, such as those caued by specular reflections, are not clipped off.

If you're working in standard definition the format used by Avid is known as 601, and if in high definition, 709.  It sounds like you're source material is neither of those, but what is commonly known as RGB.  Strictly speaking it should be called full gamut RGB, but most people using the term are too lazy - hence RGB.

You now have one of two options available to you.  You can either reimport your original media as RGB, in which case Avid will correct the levels for you, or you can grade your footage to correct the levels manually.

Since the second is less of a pain I'll give you a simple technique to fix this.  Having done your cut with no titles, create a new empty layer above it,  Let's assume that your entire cut is in V1, in which case you'd create V2 and select it.  Go into the color correction workspace and select curves.  On the rightmost curve click at the bottom of the line.  In the two little windows below the curve you should see '0' and '0'.  Click in the right one and change it to 16.

Now click at the top end of the curve.  This time you should see '255' and '255'.  Change the second value to 235.  You have now applied a blanket color correction to your entire video cut.  Go back to your edit workspace.

Now create a second new video layer - in this example it will be V3.  Put your titles there and you'll see that your title whites are magically no longer grey.

Now go back to normal edit mode.

(If you want to know more about these color ranges, google Rec.601 or BT.601.  That will give you full background information.  You'll be able to really impress your instructor!)

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:15 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

As for your second question - we'll need to know more.  I assume you're working in one of the PAL format countries by the way that you spell "grey".  We also need to know whether you're dealing with standard definition or high definition media, and how the media originated.  The best title format depends on how you answer those questions.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 10:36 PM In reply to

Hey Thanks, 

I am an American. I type very fast and usually get at least one word spelled wrong. I am using Standard Def. Thanks for the imput I will look into it. 

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:21 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Glad to be able to help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller